Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #901
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Fuel pickups are in the back of the tank for a reason. You can coast downhill, you can't coast uphill.
Every cage I've ever owned seems to have the pickup at the front/middle of the tank. Stupid GrandAm I had with the high-output quad-4 used to stall out under max acceleration with anything less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Freaking annoying. Great engine... stupid package.
Second gear, 6500rpm, front wheels starting to break loose, and the engine would go lean and stumble

Yeah! "Fuel pickups are in the back of the tank for a reason." There's more than one engineer out there that needs to be whacked over the head with that line.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #902
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Hiya Liz:
This is ADVrider. Don't let the occassional dick-head scare you away. I learn lots here, including your post.

Don't let the bastards wear you down, Liz.
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #903
Shoganai
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,760
Note to self written yesterday.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2721

"Note to self: no matter what, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT wash off or lose the markings between mated peices.

I don't know for sure how many combinations there are for 8 holes on 5 parts where the x-axis on part A (short bar) has the pontential to be either North or South AND left of or right of the part B (long bar) AND part C (long bar).

BUT I CAN tell you I think I found them all.

It took me two hours to sort that nightmare out.

What I lack in intelligence I make up for in persistance. "

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #904
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post

Yeah! "Fuel pickups are in the back of the tank for a reason." There's more than one engineer out there that needs to be whacked over the head with that line.

David...
I feel exactly the same about cars with the filler on the passenger side.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #905
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I feel exactly the same about cars with the filler on the passenger side.
You like or dislike the filler on the pax side? I prefer it that way. Keeps me out of the traffic when adding fuel from a jerry can on the side of the road. Although, it's been 30+ years since I've had to do that.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #906
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
When doing an oil change, don't drain the oil, remove the filter, get distracted by something else, bolt everything back up, fill the bike with new oil and then turn around to see the new, uninstalled oil filter sitting on the ground three feet away.

(Did it a couple of years ago. Still can't believe I did something that stupid.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #907
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
You like or dislike the filler on the pax side? I prefer it that way. Keeps me out of the traffic when adding fuel from a jerry can on the side of the road. Although, it's been 30+ years since I've had to do that.
I hate it because I'm lazy and it seems like extra effort every fill up for no good reason. But you're the first person who's ever provided a reasonable reason for it!! That's a good point I hadn't considered before.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #908
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Too Lazy^

Usually the only reason to fill up on the side of the road is from being too lazy to stop for gas when you see it, then having all the energy you need to walk several miles, borrow a can (soda bottles on the side of the road work great to get enough fuel to go the extra miles, and good funnels, btw...), then hike back to the car...

Frequently, and without warning.
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #909
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I hate it because I'm lazy and it seems like extra effort every fill up for no good reason. But you're the first person who's ever provided a reasonable reason for it!! That's a good point I hadn't considered before.
Some say that putting the filler cap on the passenger side is safer. Two vehicles hitting sideswipping each other on the road could cause damage to the fillers and a potential fire. Putting fillers on the passenger side places them towards the outside of the road, and lessening the probability of damage in some accident scenarios.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #910
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Pass side

Sideswiping parked car, with passenger side filler, when parked car has driver's side?

Really I thought it was packaging, with the exhaust and other systems taken into account.

I think we should still have to flip down the license plate...
Old 12-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #911
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
Some say that putting the filler cap on the passenger side is safer. Two vehicles hitting sideswipping each other on the road could cause damage to the fillers and a potential fire. Putting fillers on the passenger side places them towards the outside of the road, and lessening the probability of damage in some accident scenarios.
Yeah, but.... wouldn't it be better to have a fire in the middle of the road instead of say sideswiping a tree and having the gas spill into the brush!?
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #912
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley/Hobbfather View Post
Usually the only reason to fill up on the side of the road is from being too lazy to stop for gas when you see it, then having all the energy you need to walk several miles, borrow a can (soda bottles on the side of the road work great to get enough fuel to go the extra miles, and good funnels, btw...), then hike back to the car...

Frequently, and without warning.
Or you miss a turn off due to a bush fire (yes, to stay on the same road you turn right not straight on, (Kamanya this was just after Sishen mine) then instead of doubling back you see that there is another "road" (Postmasburg) to get you back on track, it turns out to be 40 miles of sand and gravel The fun part is that the piece of road you missed out had the filling station on it we cruised at about 50 mph to get to Uppington at dark running on fumes lying the pig down to get last drops of fuel at the end, but we got there
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #913
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
Sometimes the old base gasket sticks to the underside of the barrel and not the case....

Engines don't like double base gaskets.
Kamanya, isnt there a "check which conrod should be in which side of the casing on a Vee Twin" before you bolt it up?
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #914
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
I'll have you all know, I was in stitches reading some of these at work.

Unfortunately, I have a few of my own. I work with some very large and powerful lasers, one of which is capable of cutting steel 1.25" thick. We have a new one that we are in the process of getting up and running, and I ran into a problem I feel would be perfect for this thread:

Keep your head clear of the movement system's path. There isn't much warning that it's about to traverse, and there is zero warning about where it will traverse to. 7,800 IPM (Inches Per Minute) is faster than you think. Especially when the next fastest laser in the shop only traverses at 1,968 IPM. 7,800 IPM is enough to put you on the ground hard enough that you slide for a foot or so. But don't worry boss, I'm not saying I told you so in my head or anything.

Another fun-filled metal shop incident involved a very old rod-straightening machine. It uses rollers to squeeze a 20 foot long rod anywhere from .500" diameter to 1" diameter, spinning it and squeezing it to make it straight. When it gets bound up, it's usually because one rod has not left the machine before the next one got fed in. Best way to get it loose was to turn the rods with a 4' pipe wrench until one could be removed by hand, then start the machine back up. It's very important to remove the big pipe wrench from the rod before starting the machine, since chances are I was a dumbass 20 year old kid leaning over the rod to see into the machine to make sure it didn't get stuck again. The pipe wrench hit me in the chest and tossed all 140 pounds of me over the machine and into the floor.

Ahh yes one of my favorites - don't start a new CNC program and walk away. There might be an unpleasant surprise when you get back. Let it run a couple first. When you cause a 5 foot by 10 foot piece of 1/2" plate to be scrapped people get upset about it.

A BMW driver (car, not bike) a few months back had one of those educational moments - when driving through the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma, always remember that the Combine has the right of way.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #915
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

^Flying shop personnel

When installing a new tube in a two -piece forklift wheel, make certain that you have torqued down the nuts that hold the assembly together before adding unregulated air from a chuck...just spinning the nuts on the first few threads ensures a trip to Fastenal...right after your trip across the shop when the halves separate, sending the top one into your chest.

The tube was fine, BTW, since the guy holding the chuck was no longer there to keep adding air past its design limit.