Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #361
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I wasn't trying to pick a fight - the post went on about how bad the company was and made no mention of actually riding it. You and I agree that it was a turkey (I actually called it crap) - I said so in my second paragraph.

Sorry if it sounded like an attack. I just figured that no one here actually thought that they would like that bike so riding it would not have been a surprisingly bad experience, more a confirmation of expectations.
That's alright.
I remember the first time I sat on one, it was a red and black 1999 with the S&S engine and the double downtube frame. I have NEVER lifted a bike that felt so top heavy! I can't even compare it anything, including some of the aftermarket "choppers" that used to be so popular.
There is nothing about these new Indians, even Polaris's 2013 (which is a slighlty warmed over Gilroy design) that makes me say "Yeah it is worth what they are asking." Wehn it comes down to it, a HD will win out every time and I am not a huge HD fan. The HD (and every other cruiser out there) will out ride, out handle and generally out perform the Indian with one spark plug out.

I HOPE Polaris is fixing this. The new engine sounds promising but a 5 second clip of an engine....what can you really say about it? Poalris does make good cruisers. Just looking at the internals of one is proof enough for me that they have good engineers designing this stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #362
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
A beautiful bike I've lusted after since it came out. 10 years ago I found one, an '83. Tested it out. Determined that the engine simply outperformed the rolling chassis and handle poorly. I was simply in love with the idea of the bike. Was heartbroken when it didn't meet my expectations.
Might explain how I held one off with my R90 across a twisty bit in NC years ago.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #363
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Might explain how I held one off with my R90 across a twisty bit in NC years ago.
The biggest complaint of all bikes Japanese back then was, they did good in a straight line but scary in the curves. ( I remember those bikes) Euro bikes ruled the twisties back then. Today, most bikes, regardless of their origin work well, under most conditions. Thanks to Olins and others, for creating units of equalization... tp
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #364
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Vespa GS160

It is supposed to be about the best scooter ever. I had abandoned my Honda 305 Dream in Valentine Texas Dec. 1974. In the Spring of 75 I picked up the Vespa for $100. It was peppy, shot up to 55mph as fast as I could shift, but I felt like I was riding on a balloon. I preferred my brother's old Heinkel, which accelerated like a Beetle, felt like a small locomotive,and handled beautifully. The Vespa seized within a month on a long downhill coast, and I didn't fix it. I bought the Heinkel for $50 in 1981 and am still riding it.
That's funny. Comparing the Vespa to the Heinkel is kind of like comparing a Ducati Monster to a Harley Road King. They're completely different. I own both (a '64 GS160, and a '60 Heinkel 013A1), and they are really different to ride. The Vespa is a hell of a lot more fun, especially on a twisty road; the Heinkel is far better at touring.

If you should happen to still have the remains of that GS160, they're worth quite a bit these days. (And note that just about any 2-stroke will sieze "on a long downhill coast". The lubrication is in the fuel, and any sort of engine braking will have it turning higher revs than idle with the same lubrication as at idle, causing it to be underlubed. *Never* engine brake with a 2-stroke.)

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (220,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #365
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,525
Quote:
A beautiful bike I've lusted after since it came out. 10 years ago I found one, an '83. Tested it out. Determined that the engine simply outperformed the rolling chassis and handle poorly. I was simply in love with the idea of the bike. Was heartbroken when it didn't meet my expectations.
Even when it was new everybody loved the motor & hated the crap chassis on the CBX.
There were half a dozen Euro shops building frame kits to bolt in the CBX motor (which really does sound as good as you hope it does). Spondon still builds frames for the I6, all you need to do is source a motor and do a little garage wrenching. 380lb, stiff, well handling bike that the CBX never was.

Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #366
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,388
Quote:
you didn't find an '83....the last year was '82. The first couple of years were twin shock, the change to Pro-Link made for the "sport touring" variant years ('81-'82)...a much better handling bike. The engine was not a horsepower monster, so I doubt it outperformed the chassis - it was a long, heavy bike.

Forks were still a bit spindly, and if you expected much serious handling even by 10yr-ago standards, you were expecting too much.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #367
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
The new Bonnies. Tried numerous ones and they are all boring. They work well enough, comfort, handling, braking pwoer are all very good for a bike in its class and price but somehow I feel bored on it. It does everything very well except it is as interesting as a new kitchen appliance.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #368
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 16,999
Having a hard time wrapping my head around the 380lb claimed wieght.
Stock CBX's were over 600lbs, and much of that was drivetrain.

Other than that, it looks like a neat bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Even when it was new everybody loved the motor & hated the crap chassis on the CBX.
There were half a dozen Euro shops building frame kits to bolt in the CBX motor (which really does sound as good as you hope it does). Spondon still builds frames for the I6, all you need to do is source a motor and do a little garage wrenching. 380lb, stiff, well handling bike that the CBX never was.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #369
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post

That's beautiful (except for the cheesie headlight brackets). I love the single side swingarm.

I was touring the Olympic Peninsula a few years ago, we were gassing up in the morning and an early model red CBX pulled up at the pumps. We all rushed over to look at it and within 5 minutes there was about 15 motorcyclists crowded around the bike.

The owner was touring on it and said that the same thing happened every time he stopped. Definitely an icon.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #370
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,388
The Harley Sportster 883 Iron.

I really wanted to like this bike. Basic, no frills, good ergos and just a bit of character. However from the moment I picked it up off the kick stand I knew it wasn't going to be right. Heavier then I thought a bike of that size should be and when I started it I watched the gas tank shake like a paint can being prepped. The engine had a very noticeable valve tapping noise that the dealer told me was normal. On the road it handled well enough but just when things started getting fun it felt like someone turned off the air and the bike refused to get up and move out of it's own way. Additionally I found the suspension to be absolute garbage. It felt like I was riding down a set of railroad tracks.

Now I don't expect a bike to be %100 perfect fit to me from stock, but I do want it to show me it's finer points on the test ride. The amount of money that the 883 Iron needs to get out of it's stock phase is well beyond what I am willing to put into $8000 bike. Sucks I really wanted to like it.
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #371
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I think just about every bike ever built has been covered now. Any we've missed?
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #372
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Rocket 111 Roadster?

DR650?
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #373
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Rocket 111 Roadster?

DR650?
i covered the dr650 earlier
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #374
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 856
Yamaha's mistake...

Anyone mention the Yamaha XS650? I bought one in '81. Black and chrome, a thing of beauty. Any speed over 50mph, the whole bike shook so badly, from bars to pegs, it was impossible to use on the highway. The bike went to the first guy who admired its looks. Someone stole it from him.......tp
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #375
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
i covered the dr650 earlier
D'oh!
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote