User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #15256
OmenF1
wannabe explorer

Oddometer: 69
heated grips

I have the heated grips otion and they warm up very good.

BUT : I have the feeling my throttle handle is harder to turn when the heat in on..... Somebody also experience this ;.?

br

Omen
OmenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #15257
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmenF1 View Post
I have the heated grips otion and they warm up very good.

BUT : I have the feeling my throttle handle is harder to turn when the heat in on..... Somebody also experience this ;.?

br

Omen

I have custom bar ends in place, with a Cat O-ring cruise / throttle lock for an interference fit between the grip and the bar end. I cut the fit a little too tight, and when the grip got hot enough it began to drag on the bar end / throttle lock assembly. Had to loosen the throttle housing and slide it slightly medial, or to the left. Problem solved. Didn't take much movement, maybe 0.015 to 0.020 inches. Try that. Or see if you have longitudinal play in the throttle sleeve, that goes away when the grip is hot. Should still have some play even when hot. (The throttle grip grows slightly in length when heated, if that wasn't clearly stated.) Ken

Ducken screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 01:51 AM Reason: Second shot at clarity
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #15258
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
I understand and sorry if you were aware but it's amazing how many people don't know how things work and then complain.
Anyway, I've had the Triumph grips on my Tig955 for 10 years and they're still OK. Just OK heat wise you understand. I discovered that Oxford Hotgrips http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...t&id=137&pid=0 get much hotter. Have never needed them on 100%. Don't know if you can get them in the US but they're 1/4 the price of the Triumph ones. I have them on my XC and have plugged them into the connector for the Triumph grips under the tank. Superb. Although I did notice on their site there that they've changed the controller design. Mine has an On/Off button the new ones don't so I don't know how you're supposed to turn them on & off now.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #15259
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducken View Post
I have custom bar ends in place, with a Cat O-ring cruise / throttle lock for an interference fit between the grip and the bar end. I cut the fit a little too tight, and when the grip got hot enough it began to drag on the bar end / throttle lock assembly. Had to loosen the throttle housing and slide it slightly medial, or to the left. Problem solved. Didn't take much movement, maybe 0.015 to 0.020 inches. Try that. Or see if you have longitudinal play in the throttle sleeve, that goes away when the grip is hot. Should still have some play even when hot. (The throttle grip grows slightly in length when heated, if that wasn't clearly stated.) Ken
I wonder if the cat o-ring work with the stock bar ends. I use them on my ST1300, but they went between the grip and the perch
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #15260
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I understand and sorry if you were aware but it's amazing how many people don't know how things work and then complain.
Anyway, I've had the Triumph grips on my Tig955 for 10 years and they're still OK. Just OK heat wise you understand. I discovered that Oxford Hotgrips http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...t&id=137&pid=0 get much hotter. Have never needed them on 100%. Don't know if you can get them in the US but they're 1/4 the price of the Triumph ones. I have them on my XC and have plugged them into the connector for the Triumph grips under the tank. Superb. Although I did notice on their site there that they've changed the controller design. Mine has an On/Off button the new ones don't so I don't know how you're supposed to turn them on & off now.
Found this, on their site.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #15261
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Yowzer, 350 bucks for heated grips

Yeah that's a little extreme, but I suspect most of the guys had them financed in with the bike. Having owned heated grips on most of my bikes, I'd rather spend my cash on heated gloves, which IMHO are way better for cold weather riding.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #15262
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Yeah that's a little extreme, but I suspect most of the guys had them financed in with the bike. Having owned heated grips on most of my bikes, I'd rather spend my cash on heated gloves, which IMHO are way better for cold weather riding.
Although I have the Oxford grips and they get hot, I'm looking at getting some heated liner or gloves cause its still damn cold up here in Canada.

Or, there is also them hippohands thingy that should cover the elements and keep you dry and warm.
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #15263
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Yeah but do you carry your heated gloves with you on *every* ride? I use my heated grips most in the spring and fall when the weather turns or you get caught in the rain without your rain gear. Even though you only have summer gloves on, the heated grips turn a miserable ride into one that's tolerable or even still enjoyable.

I have both heated grips and gloves and I use my heated grips way more than the gloves. Both are good to have.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #15264
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Yeah but do you carry your heated gloves with you on *every* ride? I use my heated grips most in the spring and fall when the weather turns or you get caught in the rain without your rain gear. Even though you only have summer gloves on, the heated grips turn a miserable ride into one that's tolerable or even still enjoyable.

I have both heated grips and gloves and I use my heated grips way more than the gloves. Both are good to have.

Yes I can easily carry more than one pair of gloves with me. I understand where you are coming from though and agree that heated grips have their place. For me, they are great for cool mornings, or even when you get up in Elevation on warmer days, where the temps are always cooler. I was saying or meant to say, that for "cold weather" riding, heated grips don't come close to providing the comfort that gloves do. For $300-$350, you can get a pair of oxford heated grips and Gerbing heated gloves, that way you have options.

Dirtysouth screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 05:21 AM
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #15265
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Lovin this TIGER 800 thread

Mr_Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #15266
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Superb. Although I did notice on their site there that they've changed the controller design. Mine has an On/Off button the new ones don't so I don't know how you're supposed to turn them on & off now.
+1

I just installed mine 2 weeks ago, my controller has on/off & 4 heat settings. I usually get them going on 100%, then drop down to 30 - love them. Plus the grips are fatter than the standard ones, something I had considered doing anyway - win win. $72 bux.

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #15267
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Blacktiger and Bross, point taken. I have plans to get heated gear and better guards. But what I wanted to find out is how hot do the heated grips get? I have never had them, so this is my first experience. If this is how hot it gets, triumph offered to take it back, so I might as well return them and then use the money to get something else. But if they are lemons, I want to get them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I am aware of the fact that this might still not be enough to keep we comfortably warm but at the same time I don't want to be paying $250 + $100(labor) for a lemon.
I do a lot of winter riding, and I think mine suck too. They are reasonably warm on high, but certainly never too hot to hold with bare hands. On low I can tell they are on with summer gloves, but with even the thinnest insulation, I can't really tell. They feel barely warm with bare hands. My Triumphs grips suck compared to my previous BMW, I remember having to turn those down at times due to sweat. But then again, maybe the Triumph grips are simply better for cool weather and the BMWs were better for cold weather.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #15268
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
+1

I just installed mine 2 weeks ago, my controller has on/off & 4 heat settings. I usually get them going on 100%, then drop down to 30 - love them. Plus the grips are fatter than the standard ones, something I had considered doing anyway - win win. $72 bux.

Have to say that's an odd location for the controller. Looks like it might crash into a tankbag on left lock. I put mine on one of the bolts on the handlebar cross brace.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #15269
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Have to say that's an odd location for the controller. Looks like it might crash into a tankbag on left lock. I put mine on one of the bolts on the handlebar cross brace.
Just the first place that came to mind and was easy. I don't care for tank bags, so the range is a non issue to me.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #15270
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Just the first place that came to mind and was easy. I don't care for tank bags, so the range is a non issue to me.
So the Oxford grips are plug & play?