Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Thanks, Liz! I'll check them out next time we ride.

Because of my genetics, ALL of my joints are loose and inclined to sublocate or even dislocate with little to no warning. I'd really lke something that provides outside support ot the joint- minimize the chance of twisting the whole knee, etc...
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,752
My Asterisks are getting worn out so I may try some of these:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Review...ACE--5422.aspx

The price is scary but nothing compared to a wrecked knee.
They are supposed to be more comfortable and less bulky than others.
A good (usually expensive) brace will not rub the patella. They have the cup raised up a little so that it will glide over the knee when it bends.

Trials is brutal on knees, even without crashing. I really recommend something along these lines.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Nice looking brace. (since they look like a CTI) I had a prototype generic from CTI for free. It was always `wrong` for my leg. If you are spending money on braces, if you can get the ones actually made for you! A measurement just at the knee is not adequate. My legs are trials legs after all!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #19
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Gordy, that's one good looking brace, and i'm seriously considering something like it. the sticker price is painful, as i no longer have a great geneticist who believes in an ounce of prevention. Although, I do have a good sports medicine doctor that i've not seen in a few years, who might see the need for the brace. my insurance would still have a BIGGG copay, but at least it would help!

my biggest fear is laying out that kind of money and then it doesn't fit / binds/ pinches / hurts...
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #20
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
I just picked up my CTI brace last night. Spent the evening taking it on and off, getting to the point I can do it comfortably and predictably. Left it on for a couple hours and walked around the house with it. Considering what insurance paid for this thing I now have a reference point for what a custim fit brace should feel like. It comes right down to the top of the boot, I may have to change to some over the boot pants, it basicly rubs the top of the boot.

No need for any shin gaurd as there is no shin exposed between the boot and the knee brace.

The bad news is insurance only bought the left knee. Since I have not destroyed the right knee yet, insurance will not pay for that one. For the out of pocket price of the CTI, I will be trying a generic off the shelf brace for the right leg. Now to go shopping for one. So many choices, all way cheaper then a CTI but nowhere near what I would call cheap. Christmas has completely blown the budget right now, I will have some time to research. Don't have any cash for an impulse purchase of this level right now. But that POD is an option, outward appearance looks very close to the CTI. I will be wanting to try and match the CTI just in the generic form.

I did try the generic CTI before they custom fit me. I know what they should NOT feel like. I might just have to stop in Chapparral and try them in person on my next road trip to Cali.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #21
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,211
Glad you at least got a good brace for your bad knee. I didn`t get both of my cti`s until I destroyed my good knee. That year I got new braces instead of a new bike. But it was worth it!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
How much are the custom fit CTI's? I saw the impressive fitting form (sure beats the single knee joint width measurement of the Pods) online, but didnt see a price. Is it one of those - if you have to ask the price type answers?
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
I am not sure what insurance paid, think it was close to $2k for one.
Fitting consisted of going into the office, getting a sleave on the leg and a few key markings I am not sure exactly what they are. Then they cast the leg and cut the cast off. UPS the cast off and make the brace off that. 2-week turn around.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Thanks Bronco - now I see why lineaway put off the new bike to get them. Probably worth it, but not in the budget unless I sell the bike... I tried the Asterisks, but they didnt fit due to my less than svelte structure.....Looks like the pods may offer a larger size.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote