Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #646
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Hey Andi & Ellen

Good to hear things are coming together. I'm at Villa Hermosa now, and I can tell you, Mexican drivers got MUCH worse as I skirted around south of Mexico City. Ellen would not have enjoyed it! I had to resurrect techniques the served me well in places like Cairo and Jeddah in the 80's. Aggressive, decisive, but not reckless (ha! There's a fine line...). You've heard the old saying "he who hesitates is squashed"?

Tip for Baja - don't do the eastern route. That's what did my crappy stock shock in.

Trevor
Heya mate

Is that the sand pit side?, which way has better paved roads suitable for two up on one pony?, dirt roads sweet as but sand pits are a no no now.

Also thought you were gonna be in Mexico for about three months?
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #647
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Yeah mate the eastern road has about 70 miles of dirt. About 10% each of corregations/sand/rocks, the rest ok. Solo on the big chook chaser, no problem, two-up would be hard work.

Yeah in Palenque now, sitting in a cafe with some unusual people, drum circle going on in the plaza. No worries, they probably think I'm unusual too - what kind of idiot wears a heavy black jacket on a hot/humid day? ;-)

Not far from the border now but heading to Yucatan after a few days here do will be in Mexico for a while yet.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #648
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
In Phoenix

Hi Guys, I'm currently "stuck" in Phoenix waiting for my title to arrive so I can get into Mexico. Going down to Panama eventually... If you want to grab a cup of coffee or lunch let me know. I'm just hanging out for at least a couple more days. Will hopefully be on the road again the 22nd or 23rd

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #649
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
She is coming from Maine .... bloody miles away and lying truckies not helping, hopefully find out tomorrow.
Maine!!!! Whoooo! I shipped a bike from Milwalkee to LA and that took 6 weeks....hope you do better than that Andy!!

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #650
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
Hi Guys, I'm currently "stuck" in Phoenix waiting for my title to arrive so I can get into Mexico. Going down to Panama eventually... If you want to grab a cup of coffee or lunch let me know. I'm just hanging out for at least a couple more days. Will hopefully be on the road again the 22nd or 23rd
Could do, ping us an e at twomotokiwis@gmail.com or pm us, we are in Litchfield park area
Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #651
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
Maine!!!! Whoooo! I shipped a bike from Milwalkee to LA and that took 6 weeks....hope you do better than that Andy!!
Maya will be in Phoenix Friday night US time so I think delivery will be Saturday morning by the sounds of it.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #652
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
A not so flightles kiwi says KIA ORA & NIA HAO

Kia Ora Andi and Nia Hao Ellen, from a not so flightless fellow Kiwi ADVenturer based in mainland China. Read through this entire thread starting about a fortnight ago and took me a number of hours to do so spread out over numerous days and nights some of which ended after midnight.Think I got done with the catch-up last week, but until now hadn't had the chance to put fingers to keyboard and say gidday.

Scribed to this ADVenture and been following the updates.

Glad to see that things are turning out on the shiny side after Ellens big OFF. Great to see that you have managed to move on the two DR's; Chiwi & Hobbit, both of which have served you both quite well despite the various issues you have had. Certainly, if the bikes had been without fault from the get go, the journey for all would have been different but even with issues and failures, you were both able to overcome them, and were presented with different opportunities as a result. What doesn't break us, can and does make us stronger, or some such proverb! Here's to the start of a new chapter of the ADVenture, riding a shiny set of wheels (Maya), two up (plus the nice Wolfie package). That should make for an interesting change to the dynamic. Aside from the great earthy writing styles, and the photo-loge I am really warmed by the generosity and human spirit on this (and other) thread(s) extended by so many like minded souls. BRAVO! or CHOICE! After all as can be said, we're not strangers to one another, only friends who have never met. If you ever happen to be in mainland China at some point in the future then please look us up (we're in Ningbo). I've a few bikes in the garage and loads of riding gear, my wife (Chinese) would surely luv the company and chatting about NZ vz China (especially with Ellen), plus we have a huge house, so plenty of space and room spare.

MeRry XmAs, to you both and all the other peeps here...
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.

sinned screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 03:40 AM
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #653
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Heya Sinned, great to hear from mate you and thank you for the very positive and supportive post.

Things are coming together now, we just need to get the bike now.

Looking like everything is slowly falling into place now after many hours of ordering and reorganizing etc.

When we finish our Americas trip we will be coming to China to see Mum and Dad so will look you up for sure.

Again many thanks for your kind words it is truly appreciated and Merry Christmas to you both.

Cheers Andi & Ellen
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #654
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,381
Wicked Life in Fiordland

Not a lot happening here, we had our toy run today , went thru Tuatapre and the 1st thing I always remember there is the Diesel Ducati u had giving a cough and splutter and the 2 guys laughing there heads off at the gas station. We made it home with no tickets but plenty cops on prowl for xmas . DR has 71,200 miles on it now , still runnin as sweet as although carby is a bit rough at slow speeds now , havnt been riding much . Rosco still has a liscense, The mad german is still mad, Mike is happy u have a KTM , he didnt come today , think he was away for a passionate weekend at the catlins and check out the mad german . Well have a Merry Xmas and safe riding , which way are u going thru Mexico this time. If its the Baja I have those friends down there u can check out . Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #655
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Just got a call from the trucking company delivering Maya, the truck shat itself 2 miles from where we are

Waiting on another call to either pick her up or they may be getting another truck ... as Bevan said, if we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all

J u s t w a n t t o g e t h e r h e r e..........
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #656
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
VERY loud drumming of fingers wait for the news, and PHOTOS, of the new ride turning up ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #657
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkycamNZ View Post
VERY loud drumming of fingers wait for the news, and PHOTOS, of the new ride turning up ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!
She finally arrived ......sort of, she got within 2 miles of here then the truck shat itself and was towed 4o miles away

So we chased across town to get her .... finally tracked her down.

Good clean tomorrow and sort out the stuff we do and don't wan't.

Crammed in

Getting freed

She is tall!!!

Off we go

Bit of cheek off dancing going on set up at full height!!

So we have her home, she needs a good bath to tomorrow will be full TLC day.

F i n a l l y we can start to go forward
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #658
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,925
Good to see.

I thought it can from Maine, not Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #659
lightcycle
Nomad

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

F i n a l l y we can start to go forward
Noice! We're waiting for you here! Is E back from MTL?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #660
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 907
Yee Haw.........