Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #1966
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
I had the same model...XLX-61.When I speak of that bike,folks say I'm lying about the gas mileage you quoted....i cannot explain why the XLX-61 gave such great gas mileage,but it did!.I had no problems with rust or mech's braking though!....wish I still had that bike!.
83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #1967
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Not to highjack this thread, but a while back I had inquired about what it would take to increase the ground clearance, on the current slammed Sportsters coming from Milwaukee, specifically the Forty Eight.

Obviously the rear of the 48 can easily be raised with a good set of shocks in a longer length, but I wasn't sure about what, if anything could be done to raise the front to match. I did I bit of research and found the following info:

Quote:
It is important to remember that there is more than one combo of fork parts here.

All of the lower tubes/bodies seem to be the same except for finish and brake mountings, but there are 2 different length upper tubes and 3 different length damper rods for the 2008/2009 XL1200s

Long upper + long damper = listed 5.69" travel (1200C/883C)
Short upper + medium damper = Listed 4.12" travel (1200L)
Short upper + short damper = Listed 3.6" travel (1200N/883L)
To me, for the places and way I like to ride, a "GO" Sportster must have decent cornering clearance. I really like the styling of the 48, and I could learn to deal with the small tank, but they are just too low, IMO. It may take a little cross referencing for different model years. But I just thought others might benefit from this basic info as a starting point when trying to match up parts from the manual, and find a combo that would allow their factory lowered front ends to lengthened to something more useful than just looking "cool". Looks like I can order the factory fork tube (or aftermarket from forks by frank), combined with the internal damper rod for the C model, then do the correct spring thing along with the Intiminators, and end up with a decent fork, along with more ground clearance when combined with quality shocks.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #1968
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
To me, for the places and way I like to ride, a "GO" Sportster must have decent cornering clearance.
I have no shortage of "GO" or cornering clearance - but mine's obvioulsy no 48...

hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #1969
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
I have no shortage of "GO" or cornering clearance - but mine's obvioulsy no 48...

Nice! See? That's what I'm talking about! But, yours' doesn't look stock. What have you done to the suspension to give it that much ride height?

Actually, after being bitten by the 48 bug, and considering my options, I've about decided to build my own using the 1200 Roadster as a starting point. Not only would this give me the longer travel with its accommodating ground clearance, but also front dual disc brakes, mid controls, tubeless cast wheels, and the larger tank. To my eye the Roadster's 3.3 gal tank still has the "look" of the peanut while still giving a more useful range. Still haven't decided for sure, but I'm leaning this way pretty strongly. Another benefit is of course money. I can pick up a nice used Roadster, powdercoat the wheels, get the tank and fenders painted, change out the seat, upgrade the suspension, do other odds and ends to suit my taste and still not spend much more than half of the cost of a new 48.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #1970
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Nice! See? That's what I'm talking about! But, yours' doesn't look stock. What have you done to the suspension to give it that much ride height?

Actually, after being bitten by the 48 bug, and considering my options, I've about decided to build my own using the 1200 Roadster as a starting point. .
If your looking for clearance, consider the XR or XRX. You can pick up a used '09/'10 XR for 6500-7500. Much more clearance than any of the other sportsters, 3.5 gallon tank, and more performance right out the box...and you won't see many like it on the road.

Picked this '09 up for $7K three months ago and since this pic have swapped to Supertrapp Slip-ons, K&N filter, shorty windscreen and luggage rack. Will upgrade the suspension to the XR "X" setup this winter.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #1971
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

While the XR's do have an appeal all their own, and I do appreciate them, I sorta have that base covered already with my Buell S1.

I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I'm actually wanting something with a more cruiserish laid back riding style. At the moment the 48 is scratching that itch from a stylistic perspective. I'm just not willing to give up quite that much corning clearance just to satisfy the current popularity of the super low look. I'm not looking to turn the sportster into a sport bike, but I would like to at least be able to keep a semi spirited pace down a curvy road on occasion.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #1972
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
I've about decided to build my own using the 1200 Roadster as a starting point. Not only would this give me the longer travel with its accommodating ground clearance, but also front dual disc brakes, mid controls, tubeless cast wheels, and the larger tank. To my eye the Roadster's 3.3 gal tank still has the "look" of the peanut while still giving a more useful range. Still haven't decided for sure, but I'm leaning this way pretty strongly. Another benefit is of course money. I can pick up a nice used Roadster, powdercoat the wheels, get the tank and fenders painted, change out the seat, upgrade the suspension, do other odds and ends to suit my taste and still not spend much more than half of the cost of a new 48.
Mine started out as a XL 1200R but the suspension mods (as well as some of the cosmetic mods) had already been done by the dealer before it was sold to the original owner (I am the second owner). I chopped the rear fender, added a custom seat, dual headlights, ThunderMax ECU, V&H pipes, and relocated the coil (not shown in the photo).

Sportster purists cringe when they see my bike but I am very happy with it - both in terms of looks and performance - and that's all that matters to me.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #1973
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
Mine started out as a XL 1200R but the suspension mods (as well as some of the cosmetic mods) had already been done by the dealer before it was sold to the original owner (I am the second owner). I chopped the rear fender, added a custom seat, dual headlights, ThunderMax ECU, V&H pipes, and relocated the coil (not shown in the photo).

Sportster purists cringe when they see my bike but I am very happy with it - both in terms of looks and performance - and that's all that matters to me.
Purist, smurist! It's a motorcycle, a machine, a toy to be enjoyed. Personalized bikes that suit the owner's needs and tastes are much more interesting than just following the crowd and adding more chrome, or lowering the suspension so you can make even more sparks every time you go around a bend in the road at 5 mph. Of course, if that's your thang, then more power to you for that too! Main thing is, make it your own and enjoy it!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #1974
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Nice S1! I think a tuber Buell is going to be my next bike, if the planets align. Everything about 'em hits all the right notes for me.
I'll take an M2 Cyclone - orange frame, purple tank, please.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #1975
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
If your looking for clearance, consider the XR or XRX. You can pick up a used '09/'10 XR for 6500-7500. Much more clearance than any of the other sportsters, 3.5 gallon tank, and more performance right out the box...and you won't see many like it on the road.

Picked this '09 up for $7K three months ago and since this pic have swapped to Supertrapp Slip-ons, K&N filter, shorty windscreen and luggage rack. Will upgrade the suspension to the XR "X" setup this winter.

Another vote for the XR. It is a good handling, good running mototrcycle.

Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #1976
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Here's my '98 1200S-
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #1977
Vial Style
PRO ANTI

Oddometer: 35
Interesting build on another forum

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25763

Vial Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #1978
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vial Style View Post
Interesting build on another forum

Thanks for that link!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1979
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Thanks for that link!!

DITTO! Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Not where I'm headed with my next project idea. But, since becoming enamored with the sportsters, and really, really like the scrambler thing, this could definitely be coming up in the future!

Old 12-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #1980
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Redclayrider, Nice bike! What is that exhaust system? Does it use the stock head pipes?

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote