Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #421
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I just rolled in to Herm. I'm going to stop by and see your mom tomorrow. 18 hours of driving later... Forgot how much that drive sucks!
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #422
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

I'm glad I could help you with your air filter maintenance. Your air filter definitely needed to be cleaned.

A clean air filter will allow your engine to run better, especially at high altitudes.....

I'm enjoying your ride report. Thanks for taking the time to post so often.
My pleasure man! Thanks again for all of the help. The bike definitely lugs at high altitude though, even with a clean filter. Surprisingly, a lot of my riding has been above 5,000 feet. I may be getting up above 13,000 feet soon; would you recommend re-jetting (I brought extra jets) or just adjusting the mixture screw? By the way, where is the mixture screw? Haha. I'm such a damn noob when it comes to mechanical stuff.

Quote:
Bryce, you probably know this, but I just want to make sure. When you clean the Uni air filter, you should remove it from the cage.
I did! I was a little worried the first time I did it though; it looked like it was permanently inside the foam. Thanks for the reminder.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #423
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
I say this with all due respect(that means you can say anything and its okay(Ricky Bobby)) but my brother is slow and needs to be told these kind of things repeatedly. Thank you spud for helping a child in need.
I hate to bring this up again, but how long have you been working on your undergrad degree? Going on six years now? Hmmmm......have fun freezing your ass off in the Dakotas.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #424
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews42 View Post
I just rolled in to Herm. I'm going to stop by and see your mom tomorrow. 18 hours of driving later... Forgot how much that drive sucks!
Nice! Say hi to everyone for me. I think my parents may have went to the mountains for Christmas, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #425
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Yeah I'll check for sure, it a always nice to see your fam the one time a year I make it up to the NW
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #426
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
My pleasure man! Thanks again for all of the help. The bike definitely lugs at high altitude though, even with a clean filter. Surprisingly, a lot of my riding has been above 5,000 feet. I may be getting up above 13,000 feet soon; would you recommend re-jetting (I brought extra jets) or just adjusting the mixture screw? By the way, where is the mixture screw? Haha. I'm such a damn noob when it comes to mechanical stuff.

I did! I was a little worried the first time I did it though; it looked like it was permanently inside the foam. Thanks for the reminder.
You're welcome. Trust me, a lot of people have been tricked by that Uni air filter, especially because of the foam strap located on the bottom of the filter, and because the "button" fits so tightly on the post.

One doesn't need to adjust the pilot mixture screw for different altitudes. If your bike has been running well, your pilot mixture screw (PMS) is probably set correctly.

I am using a size 55 pilot jet, and a size 155 main jet in my XR650L's carburetor. My bike runs well from 4,600 to 9,200 feet above sea level. Another XR650L owner has reported his bike runs well from sea level to 14,000 feet above sea level using the same carburetor jets. However, a lot depends on whether you have performed Dave's Mods, removed the air box snorkel, et cetera. Neverthless, the constant velocity (CV) carburetor on the XR650L does a pretty good job compensating for altitude.

What jets are currently installed in your carburetor? You might want to go a size lower, at least on the main jet, when you begin riding at 13,000 feet above sea level. You can change the carburetor jets without removing the carburetor. I suggest you see how well the bike runs at high altitudes before you decide to change carburetor jets. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. We can tell you how to change the jets easily.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #427
ItchyFeet
Too young to resist

Oddometer: 66
Nice Read

Just a quick thanks for the RR. Inspiring and truly enjoyable. Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad and safe travels!
When you get back from your travels, and tell your friends of all the interesting people you have met in obscure bars and hostels. Only to realize after years of travel, you are the guy they talk about. - Cedric Pieterse
ItchyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #428
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
From now on you are going to see a lot of higher elevations until well into Argentina and Chile.

Peru can be a bit problematic depending on the route. In the Andes you will see elevations from sea level to over 15,000 feet and back, sometimes in the same day, as on the Cajamarca to Celendin route as well as others. Tough to jet properly for that stuff, and there can be quite a bit of it.

Bolivia can be consistently pretty high depending on the routes you take, particularly in the SW Altiplano where it is rare to see anything under 12-13,000 feet. Eventhough the CV carbs are pretty good with elevation changes, the bike might like a leaner main jet for this stuff.

Glad you are enjoying Colombia, looks like youre having a great time. The whole crew in Medellin is awesome. On my way down it took me two months to get out of there, and on the way back it took another two months, but that was mainly because of the girl. During my travels, meeting new people and making new friends became the highlights and most cherished memories. There are a lot of really good people in the world and they far outnumber the assholes.

Youre doing a fantastic job on the RR, thanks for taking all of us along. I think you have the right idea amigo, make plans day by day, but even then those daily plans will get shit canned from time to time. That's beauty of not planning, you can go wherever, whenever. Youre just getting a small taste of things to come. Epic stuff awaits you, a metric shit ton of it.

Ride fast, take lots of chances. Just kidding of course, but its tough not to do down there.

salud, Vin

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 01:49 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #429
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Thanks for posting this RR from here too. I found this thread after reading your question about valve adjustment on the XRL thread several days ago. Doing a ride like yours is one of my life goals, very high on the bucket list. So, while I'm stuck here shoveling snow in the Colorado rockies with 2 kids and a wicked mortgage, I have been remembering this story a few pages at a time and secretly planning for the day I can go too. Living vicariously thru your ride, keep it coming! The writing, pictures, and the attitude that comes thru in your writing make this one of the best so far.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the high country.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #430
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
One doesn't need to adjust the pilot mixture screw for different altitudes. If your bike has been running well, your pilot mixture screw (PMS) is probably set correctly.

I am using a size 55 pilot jet, and a size 155 main jet in my XR650L's carburetor. My bike runs well from 4,600 to 9,200 feet above sea level. Another XR650L owner has reported his bike runs well from sea level to 14,000 feet above sea level using the same carburetor jets. However, a lot depends on whether you have performed Dave's Mods, removed the air box snorkel, et cetera. Neverthless, the constant velocity (CV) carburetor on the XR650L does a pretty good job compensating for altitude.

What jets are currently installed in your carburetor? You might want to go a size lower, at least on the main jet, when you begin riding at 13,000 feet above sea level. You can change the carburetor jets without removing the carburetor. I suggest you see how well the bike runs at high altitudes before you decide to change carburetor jets. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. We can tell you how to change the jets easily.

Spud
We de smogged, de snorkled, dave's modded, and put on the UNI. I can't remember what jets we put in; I want to say it was 58/155? Lee, maybe you could chime in?

I have the factory jets which are a lot lower if I remember correctly, but I'll have to look at them to see how big they were. I don't remember off the top of my head.

I do know how to re-jet; however, I didn't think about doing it with the carb still on. That's makes sense. Thanks for the idea.

I had heard that you could adjust the mixture screw to comensate a little bit for altitude, maybe you can elaborate on that? Is that true?

The bike runs weak at high altitude; i've had it up to 10,000 feet a few times now and you definetly can feel the sluggishness. It also doesn't idle well at high altitude. If you don't keep it reved a little while you are idling, it tends to die pretty quickly.

Like crashmaster said, I'm about to start getting really high. Not sure what kind of adjustments I want to make yet (if any), but I'm looking for ideas.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #431
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyFeet View Post
Just a quick thanks for the RR. Inspiring and truly enjoyable. Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad and safe travels!
Thanks man! You too!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #432
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
From now on you are going to see a lot of higher elevations until well into Argentina and Chile.

Ride fast, take lots of chances. Just kidding of course, but its tough not to do down there.

salud, Vin
That picture is nuts! My little 650 is probably just going to wheeze and die up there! I'll give it a shot though.

You are totally right: the best part so far has been the people. Wouldn't trade those meetings for anything.

I wish we had gotten to meet you in San Diego. Justin was talking about going to meet you at a bar or something, but then you had a problem with your place in Alaska and had to jet. Or at least that's what he told me.

I'm going to have to hit you up soon for some advice on the Salar. Did you hit that up solo?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #433
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,475
You have 55/158 jets in it. Same as I put in mine (Lee did it around the same time I did).
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #434
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Basically the carb works like this......

The idle mixture screw controls the air/fuel in the pilot jet. Hopefully you have a screw with the adjustment knob on it so you dont need to use a screwdiver or twist the carb in the boots. It makes things way easier and much faster so if you dont have one , I would probably try to get one if it will work with your bike. Although getting a good one can be tricky, some of the cheaper ones like to break off the tip of the needle in the pilot jet if screw it in too tight. I've seen good aftermarket ones and I have also fabricated a quick adjustment knob using he stock screw. Colombia is a perfect place to have something like that done. Might want to find a couple extra screws just for piece of mind or you mess one up during the fabrication process.

With the bike fully hot up and idling, slowly turn the screw clockwise (in) until the bike starts to idle rough, then slowly back it out in small steps and the idle will speed up. When you find smoothest and fastest idle on your way out you are properly adjusted. Take the bike for a spin and see how it does.

You have a pilot jet and a main jet. Is this a Mikuni 41mm CV? You adjust the idle mixture screw as above, then actually change out the main jet to a different size when you need to. There is quite a bit of adjustment on the pilot circuit before you need to actually change the pilot jet. Usually you can turn the carb in the boots to make this an easy process. Not sure if you have enough room in the XRL to do this. I just havent worked on one in many years.

Up to about half throttle you are mostly on the pilot circuit and as you feed fuel the main jet comes into the system more and more. At WOT you are mostly on the main jet.

One thing to be careful about is running too lean. Run too lean and you burn up the top end so IMOH if you have to compromise a bit its always better to be slightly rich rather than slightly lean.

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 03:57 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #435
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,475
Oh, and the mixture screw is the one that points straight down on the front of the carb. I can reach mine pretty easily and turn it with or without my riding gloves on.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote