Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #601
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
We had a restful day yesterday in Honda, Colombia and this morning we head towards Cali.

I still am waiting to find out about tires. My timing is bad with Christmas coming. I hope I can get down there and find a set and not be stuck while everything is closed.
Cali is a big city and every Colombian city has a "moto street" where there are hundreds of small stores selling everything motorcycle-related. As long as you are not very picky about brands, I'm sure you'll manage to find something like a Pirelli MT90 or similar ... They will sure work on Saturdays, maybe even half day on Monday 24th...Closed on the 25th, but open again on the 26th.

I can't point you in the right direction for the "moto-street" but if you ask a cab driver to take you there, I'm confident you'll manage. Just say "quiero comprar llantas para mi moto, por favor lleveme a la calle que tiene muchas tiendas de repuestos de moto" (or write this down on a piece of paper and show it to the cab driver).

or

Write this phrase in Google "llantas de moto en cali" and you'll have several addresses and phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Buen viaje!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #602
shojac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I just found your report and I have really enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures, which, by the way are great.
Looks like you are having a really good time and seeing lots of sights. Keep on doing what you are doing and we will be riding along with you in spirit.
I spent a little time up in your country back in August, going to PEI and Nova Scotia. On the way back we went to Hartland and saw the worlds longest covered bridge, quiet a sight.
Have a Merry Christmas.
shojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #603
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Cali is a big city and every Colombian city has a "moto street" where there are hundreds of small stores selling everything motorcycle-related. As long as you are not very picky about brands, I'm sure you'll manage to find something like a Pirelli MT90 or similar ... They will sure work on Saturdays, maybe even half day on Monday 24th...Closed on the 25th, but open again on the 26th.

I can't point you in the right direction for the "moto-street" but if you ask a cab driver to take you there, I'm confident you'll manage. Just say "quiero comprar llantas para mi moto, por favor lleveme a la calle que tiene muchas tiendas de repuestos de moto" (or write this down on a piece of paper and show it to the cab driver).

or

Write this phrase in Google "llantas de moto en cali" and you'll have several addresses and phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Buen viaje!
Thanks for your help. I have been helped a lot by Mike who owns Motolombia here in Cali. Great guy. He is confident I can get tires tomorrow. Today all the shops are closed. I'll write more about my ride into here and all of Mike's help.

Thanks

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #604
Kedgi OP
Banned

Welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shojac View Post
I just found your report and I have really enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures, which, by the way are great.
Looks like you are having a really good time and seeing lots of sights. Keep on doing what you are doing and we will be riding along with you in spirit.
I spent a little time up in your country back in August, going to PEI and Nova Scotia. On the way back we went to Hartland and saw the worlds longest covered bridge, quiet a sight.
Have a Merry Christmas.

Glad you found my report and glad to have you aboard.

New Brunswick is a beautiful place and a beautiful place to ride.

Merry Christmas!

Kedgi
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #605
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
have fun in Cali, Alison is heading out today and coming your way...if you don't get another connection in the next few days just wanted to say great to meet you finally and have a great christmas on the road
Hi Paul it was really nice to meet you on the road and all the other riders. What fun to have 17 long distance bikes in one spot.

Thanks for your info on Mike at Motolombia. He's great. I rode hard yesterday from Honda to Cali and found Motolombia with Mike's help. We are going to check out tires tomorrow. Everything is closed today. It's all good. I'm here at the Hostel, safe and sound and have a day off from riding.

Good to hear that Alison is on the way.

I just got a PM from Boris, who is the rider i met in Playa del Tunco, El Salvador and rode to panama City with. He is in Ecuador and wants to get together with whoever can make it down there somewhere for New Years. Should be fun!

Scottish Mike is a day behind me but will catch up to me here today.

Thanks again Paul for the Motolombia tip.

Dwight
Old 12-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #606
Kedgi OP
Banned

Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
have fun in Cali, Alison is heading out today and coming your way...if you don't get another connection in the next few days just wanted to say great to meet you finally and have a great christmas on the road

Merry Christmas to you too! and all the best in the New Year!

Dwight

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 05:47 AM
Old 12-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #607
Kedgi OP
Banned

Honda to Cali

I rode from Honda to Cali yesterday. I was well rested after a day off in Honda and motivated to get moving to look into tires. Some of you readers who are not bikers may not know that motorcycle tire do not last nearly as long as car tires. They have a stickier rubber compound to provide grip in turns and they wear relatively quickly.

I had a bad crash in July on a hot day thanks to a front tire blowout and now I am a little over cautious maybe about tires.

The ones I have on are still good for a couple thousand Kilometers at least but i have heard many stories that it can be tough to find tires in South America to fit a bike like mine, because these bikes are not very common down here. There are lots of KLR on trips like mine but the local popultaion tends to ride much smaller bikes.

So, when RTWPaul told me about a motorcycle rental business, named Motolombia, in Cali, that uses bikes like mine, I emailed Mike, the owner. He says I can get tires for the KLR here, no problem.

Yesterday I was motivated to get a move on and get down here. Mike, my Scottish riding partner wanted to take his time, which i understand so we split up and I rode down here while Mike made it a two day ride and will catch up to me this evening.

It's ironic that when I got here I found out today is Sunday and all the bike shops are closed! That's just the way it goes some times. It's all good, now I have a day off from riding in Cali.

When you leave Honda for Cali, the going is good. Nice two lane, smooth black top through ranch country. Pretty with mountains on either side of you. You come to the city of Imbague, a fairly large, busy city where my GPS led me down the same dead end twice. realizing it was familiar I just rode in the direction I thought I should head and it finally picked another route, through the Bario (according to the sign) and over some badly busted up pavement down a steep mountainside and finally out to the highway. I can't believe there isn't an easier way through Imbague but if there is, my GPS doesn't know about it.

When you leave Imbague, westbound toward Cali you hit this incredible mountain road, good pavement for the most part, steep winding climb and then a steep winding descent with very tight turns over a 65kms section. There were a few trucks and busses holding up traffic some with a line up of about thirty cars behind them as the grinded their way up but nothing like my ride from Bogata to Honda.

I passed wherever I could, on the shoulder, in tight turns getting ahead of one car at a time until I could pass the truck or bus. Everything was moving so slowly it was easy to get through the mess and then you would enjoy a few minutes of excellent mountain riding until you caught the next truck. All in all it was fun! (The scenery was amazing and I'm sorry I didn't stop to take pictures, but I find pictures of the mountains simply do not show how dramatic they are, and if you stop you get to pass the same group of traffic all over again)

When you get through the mountains you ride the rest of the way to Cali on good road, mostly four lane, first world type road, through a valley used for sugar cane and other agriculture.

I got into Cali before dark, following the GPS to an address Mike had given me. Turns out there are more than one 6th Ave. in Cali, in fact I think every area of the city has one. The one the GPS was showing me was not the right place. I tried to ask for directions (I don't know why I do that because I don't speak Spanish, but at least I get a general idea for just how lost I am from the reactions i get)

Two people at a dental clinic I eneded up in front of tried to help they offered to call. I didn't have Motolombia's number written down it was in my computer, of course, and i needed WiFi to get at it. Another rider a young man on a small bike seemed to think I was only a few blocks from where I wanted to be and he actually led me there but that was wrong too.

Now it was dark and I was really lost. I typed McDonalds into my GPS and it found one. I went there, used their free WiFi to call Mike at Motolombia, told him I thought I was in the south end of Cali, and it turns out Motolombia is in the North. I explained what was going on and asked if there was a landmark like a hospital or anything near him I could possibly navigate to. Turns out there is a huge shopping center and I headed there. I had an amazing nightime ride across Cali, which is a huge city, from south to north. Passed through the Historico district where there were thousands of people, thousands like giant mobs on the sidewalks, crazy traffic, although crazy doesn't really do it justice. it's really madness. Little motos squeezing into any hole they can find at a light to blast off ahead of the other traffic which then roars past them so they can all do it again at the next light.

I had one little bike come from behind me while I was stopped and zip between me and a taxi at what seemed like 50mph and just miss hitting me. It was so close there must have been a mm between the three vehicles. The dumbass kid actuall scared himself I'm sure, he looked back to see if he hit anything.

In the end I found the mall. I found another McDonalds, used their free WiFi to tell Mike I had made it to the Mall, which is 6 blocks from his place and he very kindly jumped in his truck and came and got me. YAY!

All the while I had been riding across the city I had been pissing people off because i had my high beams on. My low beam has burnt out again. I just replaced it before I left home. What a way to ride through Cali!

Anyway I'm here, safe and sound, looking forward to a do nothing day. Yesterday was a long hard ride and I am happy to chill today. I had supper at MCDonalds last night. (I walked the six blocks back to the mall to get a 1/4 pounder meal)

Guess where I'm going for breakfast later this morning

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 05:29 AM
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #608
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Easy enough to re-aim your headlight if you can't find a replacement bulb.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #609
Kedgi OP
Banned

Headlight bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Easy enough to re-aim your headlight if you can't find a replacement bulb.
The headlight bulb itself is no problem, Mike has them here at Motolombia, putting it in a KLR is a pain. I think I have to take the fairing off. Not sure, I'll have to research that.

Glad i can get a spare, I would hate to have the second one go, and I wonder why the low beam has burned twice. I do leave it on all the time though and I am just short of 40,000 kms. I'll reach that milestone before I'm out of Cali.

Kind of a boring day here. Cali seems to be very quiet on a Sunday. That's good though, I can use a break.

Kedgi
Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #610
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 319
Hey Kedgi,
I finally caught up to you on this RR, and I am really enjoying it. I saw in an earlier post that you are 55, and asI am closing in on that number, it makes me really glad to see a trip like this can still be in the cards for me, maybe when I hit 55. Ride on, and thanks for posting this from the road. I have done it, and I know it isn't easy to keep us all updated.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #611
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
The headlight bulb itself is no problem, Mike has them here at Motolombia, putting it in a KLR is a pain. I think I have to take the fairing off. Not sure, I'll have to research that.
Remove the front fender and look straight up. You will see a black panel held in with a couple screws. Remove that and you can access the headlight bulbs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #612
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Fender tip

Quote:
Remove the front fender and look straight up. You will see a black panel held in with a couple screws. Remove that and you can access the headlight bulbs.
Awesome!

Thank You!

Kedgi
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #613
love/hate it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Holiday Greetings

Still following along and am especially enjoying the pictures. You seem to be adapting well to your new world. Sent Steph what was to be an installment on your report. I'm sure she and the Learning Center appreciate what you are doing for them. Season's best to you man. Ride safe.
love/hate it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #614
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Incredible journey so far! I always think that the best bike is that one you can afford. I mean after all I am sure even the those fancy bikes lack a few things here and there. Glad to see that you didn't let the Central America mishap shape your trip. Thanks for the continued updates.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #615
GoMotor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Or remove the four screws holding the windshield and replace it form the top. Either way it is not necessary to remove the fairing.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote