Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #16846
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
When I looked at BOTH screens they appear to have been colonized by some coral-like substance. I don't know how else to describe it. It's white and fluffy. What is this crap?
Don't know what it is but does it look like this stuff?

Mostly tiny spheres. It's sort of moist and slimy in the photos but becomes a white powder when dry.

This was a customers carb off a Honda clone. It actually cleaned up and the engine ran fine.

I see a few carbs with this stuff inside. The fuel tanks usually have water in them.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #16847
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,386
Anyone need a top end gasket set, i got one with my hot rods bottom end kit, but i need to buy a big bore gasket kit, willing to sell it cheap...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #16848
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Don't know what it is but does it look like this stuff?

Mostly tiny spheres. It's sort of moist and slimy in the photos but becomes a white powder when dry.

This was a customers carb off a Honda clone. It actually cleaned up and the engine ran fine.

I see a few carbs with this stuff inside. The fuel tanks usually have water in them.
Sugar?

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #16849
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
That is the result of moisture contaminating ethanol enriched fuel. That is a very common thing to happen to carbs that sit for a long time with e10 or greater fuel.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #16850
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Wow, all that crap in that carb is something else.

Added a piece of Silicone heater hose around my new pipe, to protect it for when i drop it on the trails.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #16851
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Petcock filter coral formations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
That is the result of moisture contaminating ethanol enriched fuel. That is a very common thing to happen to carbs that sit for a long time with e10 or greater fuel.
It's definitely not the browner stuff from the carb photos above. I'm going with the ethanol theory. I finally found a place to get ethanol-free gas here in Boise. It involves having a card and paying a monthly bill from this station that is unattended. But it's worth it. I did wash the tank thoroughly with water, but let it sit for a month or so before installing it. Not much moisture here in the desert. So the best explanation is the ethanol explanation combined with the fact that it was in for servicing recently and they cleaned the carb so that might be how the moisture got in. Or wait wait it's coming back to me. I bought a Tusk gas cap recently with a one way vent hose and to soften it up to place it on the gas cap nipple I ran it under hot water instead of using a hair dryer. I will bet that's where the moisture came from. Wouldn't take much.
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #16852
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Hit the trails today, went down a steep section too fast and met the wall

Got pinned between the bike and dirt, , does not look steep in the pics, but even with both front and rear brakes applied, i was still sliding down

Good times.

On the way home, i took the long way on purpose to get on the freeway and test out the new MRD pipe, this pipe definately shines in the top speed dept, pin the throttle and in no time was doing 90+, with plenty to spare, loving this new pipe.
Where be this?
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #16853
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Anyone need a top end gasket set, i got one with my hot rods bottom end kit, but i need to buy a big bore gasket kit, willing to sell it cheap...
PM sent.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #16854
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Where be this?
Rowher Flats OHV,

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_6350.htm
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #16855
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

I got 2 questions for you guys, my bike has like 25 pounds of dry mud/dirt on it, id like to wash it for the firs time,

1), is it ok to use a pressure washer? my neighbor has one of those electric 1800 psi that i can use when ever i want.

2) does the bike need to be on and idling while i either hose it down, or pressure wash it?

Reason i ask, is my previous bike always gave me problems after washing it, it would almost not start back up, dont want to fuck anything up with water, i rather leave it filthy then mess something up.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #16856
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
1), is it ok to use a pressure washer? my neighbor has one of those electric 1800 psi that i can use when ever i want.
Controversial subject. Some say "never", others say "with caution", and some say "all the time".

My take is that one of the low-pressure electric ones is Okay, but I'd be sure not to point it directly and/or close-range to things which you don't want to driver water into, such as wheel bearings, electrical connectors, carbs, etc. And I don't use a pressure washer all the time - if I think I can get it reasonably clean with a hand wash, I'll just do that. On the couple occasions I've had to use the really powerful ones at car washes, I am very careful where I point and at what range.

Quote:
2) does the bike need to be on and idling while i either hose it down, or pressure wash it?
I would ride the bike afterwards to dry things out, but I would never be running the bike while I was washing it.

Quote:
Reason i ask, is my previous bike always gave me problems after washing it, it would almost not start back up, dont want to fuck anything up with water, i rather leave it filthy then mess something up.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but most bikes are reasonbly weather-proof and you should be able to wash them and then have them start without issue. Sounds like you probably had a dodgy electrical connector or something else wrong.

While leaving them dirty may be preferrable to sand-blasting one with water, there is no reason you can't have a clean bike AND a good-running one too. Just use common sense.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #16857
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
I got 2 questions for you guys, my bike has like 25 pounds of dry mud/dirt on it, id like to wash it for the firs time,

I wash mine with a small electric pressure washer after every dirt ride, I spray on truck wash and let it dry (CT18) and then pressure wash it all over and under, just adjust pressure so that your not ripping the stickers off. I never leave it running and I started up afterwards and it always starts first time. Then I oil the chain and check if the air filter needs cleaning. I never let caked on mud stay on my bike.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 02:31 PM
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #16858
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:

You'll get mixed responses about this one. My theory is that if you can ride them through tank deep water, washing it won't stuff anything up.
I always pressure wash mine, I just try to avoid putting pressure on the bearings (wheel, linkage etc). Don't get too close to your stickers- you'll lose them.

I wash mine with the engine off, otherwise it gets hot sitting at idle...but I always run it afterwards. Or you could use one of those butt plug things in the exhaust.
Once it's all clean, I give my whole bike a spray of WD40/CRC/whatever is around.... it makes the next wash easier, and helps prevent surface rust (especially if you've been anywhere near salt.)

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #16859
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Slow typer

I must type slow.... There was no responses when I started.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #16860
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
You'll get mixed responses about this one. My theory is that if you can ride them through tank deep water, washing it won't stuff anything up.
I always pressure wash mine, I just try to avoid putting pressure on the bearings (wheel, linkage etc). Don't get too close to your stickers- you'll lose them.

I wash mine with the engine off, otherwise it gets hot sitting at idle...but I always run it afterwards. Or you could use one of those butt plug things in the exhaust.
Once it's all clean, I give my whole bike a spray of WD40/CRC/whatever is around.... it makes the next wash easier, and helps prevent surface rust (especially if you've been anywhere near salt.)
Here's a tip to avoid getting water in the exhaust, instead of buying a dedicated bung, you can use a used latex / rubber glove from your garage.
Nothing wasted, and you'll get two washes from a pair, plus they fit over most exhaust tips, from DRZ to GS, and being inherently stretchy they will stay in place until you remove them..
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote