Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #76
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,417
Funny thing is if we were all sitting around a camp fire somewhere we would all get along fine. XL-erate called me the other night. Great guy with lots of cool and crazy ideas in his head. We talked for a couple of hours.
XL-erate hope you don't bail out on this board as there are a lot of great folks here. No, we don't all agree on everything but what the heck who cares.
Flysniper great post.
Actually i don't think the thread was really trashed. It came back and who knows maybe soem good will come of it afterall.
But who am I to be saying all this stuff? Just another sidecar nut..

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #77
Mr Bags
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539

FARM-ALL mowers have a sweet slip clutch.
Mr Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #78
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bags View Post

Wal la....walla....wah lah...or something like that

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #79
M37cdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
That looks just like a Walterscheid clutch

http://www.gkn.com/landsystems/brand...s/default.aspx
M37cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #80
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Guys... and that's everyone who's been in/looked at this thread.

I'm the main culprit behind trashing this thread. There was a number of things that just irked me for whatever reason. Instead of doing the sane/civil thing and just passing on by I just had to open my mouth .....

Sooo... My apologies all the way around. I hate that I've brought any degree of toxicity into the Hacks forum. (I know, it creeps up from time to time, but I regret bringing it myself.).

X2 to XL-erate. I'd much rather get along with everyone, and actually do in real life.... but I do have my moments...
Thanks, FlySniper, the same back at you! I have no desire to make or keep enemies, life is too short and fragile!

I'm all for having the negative posts between us be edited out but I don't know how and it's up to you too, if you prefer that. Don't know what's best...

So, no hard feelings towards you or anyone here, just a bump in the road but nobody fell off!
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #81
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:

Pretty heavy in the weight department. My Vermeer baler has a slip clutch that uses diaphram springs instead of coils. It's heavy too,maybe there is a really small one somewhere.
I'm not sure how this kind of slip clutch would work to allow the difference in wheel speeds in turning.
They are used in ag equipment to prevent catastrophic distruction when your mower or baler eats a tree limb or breaks a chain.

When Murph built his 2 wheel drive he used a semi-viscous clutch from an awd auto. They are small and probably lighter than the spring clutches.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 10:47 AM
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #82
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL-erate View Post
Thanks, FlySniper, the same back at you! I have no desire to make or keep enemies, life is too short and fragile!

I'm all for having the negative posts between us be edited out but I don't know how and it's up to you too, if you prefer that. Don't know what's best...

So, no hard feelings towards you or anyone here, just a bump in the road but nobody fell off!

Ah heck, I'm not against it, but it would make for a really odd read down the road. (Still, it might be better....) I just got home from work, so I'm a little too shagged for decision making. Either way really, I made an ass of myself and can't really bury that fact.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #83
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ah heck, I'm not against it, but it would make for a really odd read down the road. (Still, it might be better....) I just got home from work, so I'm a little too shagged for decision making. Either way really, I made an ass of myself and can't really bury that fact.
Well that makes me want to delete some stuff even more. Just as well as there's no hard feelings it's also nice to be able to go back and give some rewrite to the gnarly stuff, lots I can remove at no loss to anyone! I'll see what I can clean up or something because there's still a whole bunch of other posts in the thread. I'll give it a try and see what can be changed or removed.

Okay, I went back and chopped out a whole bunch of unpleasant stuff and nuked a couple of my posts. I hope it's not a problem for anyone but I figured at this point, nothing to lose and maybe it will be a little more pleasant to read this way.

XL-erate screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 12:12 AM
Old 12-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #84
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
It's right here in the Hacks forum:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...D#post12743075
Of course I didn't expect you had seen it. But from your first post you described your design as being unique and superior to previous designs. It isn't. My guess is this basic concept has been done many times by many designers. I'm the 100th person to think of it, and you're maybe the 101st.

Exactly, which is why it seemed strange for you to make such a claim, when it's impossible to know if your design is unique or not, and superior or not. Actually, I don't think what I described in the linked thread is anything special either. It may work great in one application, and poorly in another. I never imagined it to be an original idea, since I've seen so many innovative things done, starting with stuff created over a hundred years ago when the sidecar first came to exist.

BTW, many if not most in this forum provide free information, free ideas, and free help on all kinds of subjects. It's something that goes on all day long here. There's nothing special about someone posting a helpful idea for anyone to use free of charge. There's no need to make a big deal about it, or defend it like it's the one and only golden egg. It was nice of you to put the idea out there. It was just done in a strange way.
I read your post at the link. I see the similarity of a shaft and a clutch drive system.

A sprag clutch is much more mechanically complex and from what I've seen, manufacturer specific for repair, replacement or replacement parts. I think the increased complexity makes it much more prone to eventual failure, more moving parts etc. In a type that can handle 90-100 HP I believe it would be much more expensive than a steel hub/plate and a friction hub/plate. A sprag clutch is not something you can build yourself without a fairly complete machine shop and some extreme skills. Other than mentioning the shaft and sprag clutch I didn't see too much in details of build.

As I've mentioned I haven't said that my design is the original clutch type drive or Limited Slip system, that's nothing new at all. What's different is the extremely simple design to accomplish that goal, and the DIY of building all at home except for axle splines. 2 hub/plates, 2 pieces of shaft, a few bearings and supports, sprockets & chain - done.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #85
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

The Gravely L series tractors used a slip clutch like that, they are approximately 4" in diameter and about 2"thick. They were attached to all power implements and were in production for about 65 years so they are easy to find.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #86
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,642
Smells better already!

On those slip clutches for tractors... Those were the first things that came to my mind, but I've not seen any as small as 4" dia.. Even that small, it seems like a bunch of rotating mass that would need supporting. I'm just not sold on the idea that they would function reliably as an LSD. But I do tend to overthink things.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #87
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Smells better already!

On those slip clutches for tractors... Those were the first things that came to my mind, but I've not seen any as small as 4" dia.. Even that small, it seems like a bunch of rotating mass that would need supporting. I'm just not sold on the idea that they would function reliably as an LSD. But I do tend to overthink things.
Agreed on the rotating mass, also there's the overall weight, whether that would be a factor? Most tractor stuff isn't famous for being ultra-light.

It would be nice to know if it's possible to adjust the friction rate or slip pressure. I suppose a guy could swap out the springs but it would be nice if they were adjustable, springs could get pricey with trial and error. Might be worth looking into...

Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #88
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Here's a Gravely slip clutch, dont have one loose to weigh, but I would guess it is under 4 lbs.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #89
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pretty darned compact!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #90
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 431
Question Centifical clutch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Here's a Gravely slip clutch, dont have one loose to weigh, but I would guess it is under 4 lbs.

Is that a centrifical clutch as speed picks up it engages?? Gravely slip cluth or did you mean Gravity??
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote