Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #76
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
They've got this thing called the United States Post Office.

I've been told they can deliver almost anything in just a few days. And straight to your door.

Seriously, MPH and MI and Harper's and others will put parts in the mail same day and they'll be at your doorstep in a few days.

Guzzi has a pretty well developed dealer network, despite not having one on every street corner.

Personally, I usually order my parts from MPH in Houston. They stock just about everything I ever need, and I get my package in 2-days.

Not knocking your choice of the Bonneville. Nice bikes. Just questioning your reasoning. (and giving you a hard time, but all in fun).
my reasoning for buying the bonneville was easy.....

beemer broke, wife said no more bmw, gave me envelope of $, had to buy a bike by tuesday to get to work. moto guzzi dealer wouldnt sell me the stone "demo" and i don't like the racer (im not a "racer"). the dealer not having a classic or stone in stock to sell me made up my mind for me and the new bonneville.

i wish i could have both.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #77
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Playing around with the bike a bit. My son 'n law has a graphic art company. They do commercial signs, wrap cars etc. etc. I asked him for a piece of gloss black wrap so I could cover the #7 on the front plate / mini fairing. The stuff is amazing and matches color and gloss perfectly.

Nice thing is that it comes off with no residue.

Without windshield:

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #78
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 353
Looks like its wearing a hat.

Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #79
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Asshat comes to mind. That's why I'm still saving for the Stucchi fairing. The other option of getting the light / instrument lowering bracket may be an option for now. Did you remove the fairing Joe?

PS great picture.
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #80
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

It took me forever to find that picture.

Yes, I removed the fairing and lowered the gauges. I like the Stucchi fairing, but like the one in the record kit better. So much $$$, though.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #81
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
It took me forever to find that picture.

Yes, I removed the fairing and lowered the gauges. I like the Stucchi fairing, but like the one in the record kit better. So much $$$, though.
The record fairing is nice but I don't like the seat / backend as much.

Could you post a good picture of the front end of your bike? I've seen the bracket on a classic and thought it looked good. Thanks.

Pat
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #82
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyr View Post
The record fairing is nice but I don't like the seat / backend as much.

Could you post a good picture of the front end of your bike? I've seen the bracket on a classic and thought it looked good. Thanks.

Pat
There's the rub. I don't like the seat either and would end up using the stock seat. I'd end up buying something I would never use. I need to contact someone and see if I can order just the fairing.

I'm taking the bike to visit Todd on Saturday. I'll try to remember to snap a pic. I have the Euro turn signals on it as well, which I'm sure you'll like.

John
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #83
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks John.
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #84
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I'm of the same feeling regarding my 2013 Racer, I like that Record kit fairing, but paying for a seat I won't use is tough to swallow. Also, I read somewhere that the record kit lowers the bars by 2". Not sure if that's true, but if so, that would be another mod I'd pass up.

I've put the arrows on my Racer, and like them a lot. They're rather quiet, which suits me and my degrading ears. Noticeable performance pick up and the engine just feels better. And they look great. But for someone who wants a little more attitude from their pipes, I'd recommend Mistrals at half the price.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #85
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrider300 View Post
I've put the arrows on my Racer, and like them a lot. They're rather quiet, which suits me and my degrading ears. Noticeable performance pick up and the engine just feels better. And they look great. But for someone who wants a little more attitude from their pipes, I'd recommend Mistrals at half the price.
I've got Agostini's under the tree (which is why I'm going to visit Todd). I think they're pretty quiet with the baffles in as well. I may have to pull them and play hooligan, though. We'll see.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #86
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
for those contemplating or wanting a change in sound, consider the pipe from Mistral (along with the crossover). not only is it beautiful in design, the un-baffled exhaust makes the bike sound like it has a chevy small-block motor powering it. so fun, but you gotta like it loud.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #87
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Finally got delivery on my V7 Stone on the 20th. The dealer was a bit backed up and took a week for crating and assembly.

So far, after a 148 mile ride after pickup (and a bit chilly with 40F temps and me oh so unprepared for that), the Stone is a whole interesting level of awesome. I kinda wish I had experience on the V7 Classic or at least the other 2013 V7 models. I decided on the Stone over the Racer since (1) I wanted the 2013 engine but didn't want all that chrome on the Racer (sexy as it may be); (2) I'm planning on doing a lot of touring with it and 2-up, so not having to buy a two-seater seat and rearrange the shocks is a boon, and (3) my girlfriend who doesn't want to ride my other motorcycles said she wanted the Stone.

The Stone really surprised me with it's agility and just how *light* and thin it feels. The high profile tires and cast wheels help a lot in that regard, but it's just over 400lbs wet and feels much less. It was actually not too far off in terms of flickability from my CBR250R, and that's with the preload set too low. I wouldn't put the two head to head in lean angles of course, but the Stone feels a bit more modern sportbike than one would first suspect. I still have plenty of scrubbing to do on the tires. The rear kicked out twice on my ride, but I think that was just me hitting areas on the tire for the first time plus a too-low preload. They were practically dripping with release compound. Keeping it within the already-established chicken strips they felt just as planted as the Angel ST's on my Ninja. Oh, and they come stock with right angle valve stems.

Almost no complaints with the engine. Naturally the transverse V is a hoot in its own right as the bike tries to throw itself on its side as it kicks over. The new ECU and throttle body gets rid of the fast idle lever, and the bike kicks right over cold in lower 40F temps. It starts better than my Ninja 1000 when cold. Power curve is as-reported, favoring 3-7k. You can ride it lower than 3k, but then it lugs a bit. 4-5k is the sweet crusing spot where the vibes smooth out and the engine just hums along all day. Plenty of get-up-and-go for its weight and enough horsepower to run the interstate with rollon to spare. Looks easy to work on, too, as the engine bay is super tidy and spacious. And there's only a hint of engine braking. On the classic Multi's L twin chopping the throttle in 1st gear could send you over then handlebars. For the Stone chopping the throttle feels like you have a slipper clutch.

About the only issues I have with the engine are with slow speeds, and the clutch. The engine isn't counterbalanced (or if it is it's a really bad counterbalancer), so at very slow speeds -- pulling up to a stop for instance -- the transverse V can literally push the bike off a straight line. Once you're into countersteering territory the bike naturally rebalances itself, but below that you're minorly "fighting" the engine. As for the clutch, there's very little feather zone and the engine likes to have 2-3k RPMs before you take off. The engine delivers peak torque just before 3k, which when combined with the lightweight and slim feather zone, means the bike can be prone to snapping a wheelie or stalling. After a bit I got used to the combo; I'm just familiar with my Ninja's clutch which at cold idle is enough to feather you uphill. Oh, and I can't find any freeplay adjusters on the clutch at the handle or at the engine.

I dunno where everyone says the suspension is hard or stiff. It's pretty soft to me, and by far the softest non-offroad/dual sport suspension I've ever used. Combined with the plush, soft seat it's a treat to cruise with. Yet somehow it's compliant enough to flick around the twisties. I haven't had time to really push the suspension, but it's not horrible. Sure, it's no Ohlins like I had on my Multi, but not something I see myself upgrading right off the bat. For a note, I'm 155 fully geared in armor and leathers and haven't properly measured sag, so I'm not sure if the springs are too soft yet or not. I still have 50% adjustment in the preload, though.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, the manual is a bit off (or I read it wrong) on the preload adjusters. You have to loosen a sunken allen lock screw in the lower adjuster (the top is just for show or has no direct use as far as I can tell). They give you the spanner wrench for adjusting the shock, but not the 2.5mm hex key to loosen the lock. In general the manual is a joke, and I have no idea what fuses are for what since the only diagram is in Italian without an English translation. Plenty of other errors, too, like no differentiating between the final drive oil and the gearbox oil.

I'm planning on doing a lot of touring on the bike. The pegs might be a bit cramped for those taller than six feet, and the jury is still out on the seat. It's plush, as I mentioned, but too plush can be a bad thing. My ride was several hours but I stopped a lot to warm up. Also no direct reports from me on mileage, but from reports it looks like the new 2013 engine will net mid to upper 50's highway in warm weather. I dont' see myself hauling butt at 80+ on the interstate for hours on end since it is a naked bike, but I'd imagine I could ride a full tank on backroads with the stock setup. Bars are fine and do well to absorb vibes, as does the seat: no numbness to report. I *might* stick on a touring fairing for winter simply to reduce the freezing wind, but that's a $375 outlay for an aftermarket one and it does look a bit fugly.

Odds'n'ends: almost zilch storage space. Mirrors work fine, but the bike screams for bar ends. Brakes are competent, though lack bite. The rear brake is a treat compared to other bikes I've used. It actually works well, but won't lock the tire with a sneeze like the CBR250. I wish more things on the bike used either allan or hex bolts. Right now it's such a mix. Though for the basics like oil changes, two different sockets for the engine oil and another socket for the final drive oil. Yet the heads use allan bolts to get to the valves.

Anywho. I feel as though the Stone is a remarkable combo of daily driver and standard sportiness. Others in the thread have reported in on the Racer and as I haven't ridden one, I'll refrain from commenting on a comparison. Ditto on comparisons to a Bonnie or CB1100. Both those bikes are more powerful than the V7 series, but of course also heavier. Frankly I think the wet weight of the Stone is a nice match for the engine and it doesn't leave me wanting, but I also don't usually ride balls-to-the-wall. I've always preferred lighter, more agile bikes (sans my honkin' N1K).

And, pics. All these are with less than 10 miles on the odo.

V7 Stone I by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone II by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone III by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone IV by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone V by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone VI by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone VII by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #88
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Wow-eee, beautiful!

Sarah
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #89
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
Finally got delivery on my V7 Stone on the 20th. The dealer was a bit backed up and took a week for crating and assembly.

So far, after a 148 mile ride after pickup (and a bit chilly with 40F temps and me oh so unprepared for that), the Stone is a whole interesting level of awesome. I kinda wish I had experience on the V7 Classic or at least the other 2013 V7 models. I decided on the Stone over the Racer since (1) I wanted the 2013 engine but didn't want all that chrome on the Racer (sexy as it may be); (2) I'm planning on doing a lot of touring with it and 2-up, so not having to buy a two-seater seat and rearrange the shocks is a boon, and (3) my girlfriend who doesn't want to ride my other motorcycles said she wanted the Stone.

The Stone really surprised me with it's agility and just how *light* and thin it feels. The high profile tires and cast wheels help a lot in that regard, but it's just over 400lbs wet and feels much less. It was actually not too far off in terms of flickability from my CBR250R, and that's with the preload set too low. I wouldn't put the two head to head in lean angles of course, but the Stone feels a bit more modern sportbike than one would first suspect. I still have plenty of scrubbing to do on the tires. The rear kicked out twice on my ride, but I think that was just me hitting areas on the tire for the first time plus a too-low preload. They were practically dripping with release compound. Keeping it within the already-established chicken strips they felt just as planted as the Angel ST's on my Ninja. Oh, and they come stock with right angle valve stems.

Almost no complaints with the engine. Naturally the transverse V is a hoot in its own right as the bike tries to throw itself on its side as it kicks over. The new ECU and throttle body gets rid of the fast idle lever, and the bike kicks right over cold in lower 40F temps. It starts better than my Ninja 1000 when cold. Power curve is as-reported, favoring 3-7k. You can ride it lower than 3k, but then it lugs a bit. 4-5k is the sweet crusing spot where the vibes smooth out and the engine just hums along all day. Plenty of get-up-and-go for its weight and enough horsepower to run the interstate with rollon to spare. Looks easy to work on, too, as the engine bay is super tidy and spacious. And there's only a hint of engine braking. On the classic Multi's L twin chopping the throttle in 1st gear could send you over then handlebars. For the Stone chopping the throttle feels like you have a slipper clutch.

About the only issues I have with the engine are with slow speeds, and the clutch. The engine isn't counterbalanced (or if it is it's a really bad counterbalancer), so at very slow speeds -- pulling up to a stop for instance -- the transverse V can literally push the bike off a straight line. Once you're into countersteering territory the bike naturally rebalances itself, but below that you're minorly "fighting" the engine. As for the clutch, there's very little feather zone and the engine likes to have 2-3k RPMs before you take off. The engine delivers peak torque just before 3k, which when combined with the lightweight and slim feather zone, means the bike can be prone to snapping a wheelie or stalling. After a bit I got used to the combo; I'm just familiar with my Ninja's clutch which at cold idle is enough to feather you uphill. Oh, and I can't find any freeplay adjusters on the clutch at the handle or at the engine.

I dunno where everyone says the suspension is hard or stiff. It's pretty soft to me, and by far the softest non-offroad/dual sport suspension I've ever used. Combined with the plush, soft seat it's a treat to cruise with. Yet somehow it's compliant enough to flick around the twisties. I haven't had time to really push the suspension, but it's not horrible. Sure, it's no Ohlins like I had on my Multi, but not something I see myself upgrading right off the bat. For a note, I'm 155 fully geared in armor and leathers and haven't properly measured sag, so I'm not sure if the springs are too soft yet or not. I still have 50% adjustment in the preload, though.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, the manual is a bit off (or I read it wrong) on the preload adjusters. You have to loosen a sunken allen lock screw in the lower adjuster (the top is just for show or has no direct use as far as I can tell). They give you the spanner wrench for adjusting the shock, but not the 2.5mm hex key to loosen the lock. In general the manual is a joke, and I have no idea what fuses are for what since the only diagram is in Italian without an English translation. Plenty of other errors, too, like no differentiating between the final drive oil and the gearbox oil.

I'm planning on doing a lot of touring on the bike. The pegs might be a bit cramped for those taller than six feet, and the jury is still out on the seat. It's plush, as I mentioned, but too plush can be a bad thing. My ride was several hours but I stopped a lot to warm up. Also no direct reports from me on mileage, but from reports it looks like the new 2013 engine will net mid to upper 50's highway in warm weather. I dont' see myself hauling butt at 80+ on the interstate for hours on end since it is a naked bike, but I'd imagine I could ride a full tank on backroads with the stock setup. Bars are fine and do well to absorb vibes, as does the seat: no numbness to report. I *might* stick on a touring fairing for winter simply to reduce the freezing wind, but that's a $375 outlay for an aftermarket one and it does look a bit fugly.

Odds'n'ends: almost zilch storage space. Mirrors work fine, but the bike screams for bar ends. Brakes are competent, though lack bite. The rear brake is a treat compared to other bikes I've used. It actually works well, but won't lock the tire with a sneeze like the CBR250. I wish more things on the bike used either allan or hex bolts. Right now it's such a mix. Though for the basics like oil changes, two different sockets for the engine oil and another socket for the final drive oil. Yet the heads use allan bolts to get to the valves.

Anywho. I feel as though the Stone is a remarkable combo of daily driver and standard sportiness. Others in the thread have reported in on the Racer and as I haven't ridden one, I'll refrain from commenting on a comparison. Ditto on comparisons to a Bonnie or CB1100. Both those bikes are more powerful than the V7 series, but of course also heavier. Frankly I think the wet weight of the Stone is a nice match for the engine and it doesn't leave me wanting, but I also don't usually ride balls-to-the-wall. I've always preferred lighter, more agile bikes (sans my honkin' N1K).

And, pics. All these are with less than 10 miles on the odo.

V7 Stone I by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone II by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone III by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone IV by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone V by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone VI by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr

V7 Stone VII by kamikazekyle10, on Flickr
That's pretty nice.
I'm still unsure about what I'm going to get in the spring. A white one of these is on my shortlist for sure. You said you plan to tour with it, what sort of bags do you have in mind? Once you get a warm enough day to try, I'd be curious to see what sort of range you get per tank. It sure looks like a keeper to me.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #90
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Here are the shots I promised with the gauges lowered:

I also have the Euro turn signals installed.