Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

Oddometer: 264
New rider: how can I tell if bike is set up well?

I rebuilt my bike, an 85 honda Nighthawk. 650 with shaft drive. It's enough bike for me and my budget.
I've rebuilt the top end--no more burning oil--and installed Progressive springs front and rear.
I've been riding three years and have a couple long trips under my belt. (1000 and 3000 mile journeys)
Here's my question:
How can I determine if things are properly set up on my bike with nothing to compare to and so few miles of experience to draw on?
For example, tire pressure or shock preload: just experiment? Even then I don't have enough experience to say "That's better" or "That's worse."
Suggestions?
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Ballpark is to get sag to about 1/3 of total travel.

80's non sporting bike....if she doesn't weave you're in the ballpark!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
bluegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
I rebuilt my bike, an 85 honda Nighthawk. 650 with shaft drive. It's enough bike for me and my budget.
I've rebuilt the top end--no more burning oil--and installed Progressive springs front and rear.
I've been riding three years and have a couple long trips under my belt. (1000 and 3000 mile journeys)
Here's my question:
How can I determine if things are properly set up on my bike with nothing to compare to and so few miles of experience to draw on?
For example, tire pressure or shock preload: just experiment? Even then I don't have enough experience to say "That's better" or "That's worse."
Suggestions?
People on here are going to argue about a ton of stuff in this thread, it may involve Rossi, Stoner etc.

Here's my 2 cents:

http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcyc.../dp/0760331405

Buy it, read it , learn from it. Leaning how things work is a big step towards getting them to work better. After a while, you will know when your bike is set up well. What's it's doing good and what needs improvement.
bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Look at your manual and set your suspension according to it. If you have adjustable suspension, pick sport settings. Later on you'll have a better sense for what you want.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,391
What adjustment capability do you have on that bike? I have no iea, but I can't imagine the suspension is very sophisticated.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
IMO, if you like the way it rides and handles....its setup well.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
What adjustment capability do you have on that bike? I have no iea, but I can't imagine the suspension is very sophisticated.

I would guess preload is about it. 30mm to 35mm of sag should be about right.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
What bluegreen said.

Study and do as much set up as possible. Unfortunately there is not much adjustability on that bike.
If it is sprung for your weight and sag is where it should be, I think you have done all you can.
A lot of older bikes used to benefit from a fork brace if you can still find one for it.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
Try to talk to some crusty old fart that's been riding forever (NOT Harley's), and see if he'll take a peek at your bike and give you his 2 cents.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
kimber45
I'm over it.

Oddometer: 701
does it handle well and feel comfortable?

if so it's set up right.
kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
You've done 1000 and 3000 mile trips. Comfy? Happy? You're set up! Less thinkin', more ridin'!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Try to talk to some crusty old fart that's been riding forever (NOT Harley's), and see if he'll take a peek at your bike and give you his 2 cents.

Chris

^^^ This.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Sag is the amount the bike settles down on it's suspension when you get aboard loaded and ready to ride. As said above, set the sag at about 1/3 of the total suspension travel. The purpose is so you're riding in about the middle of the suspension travel to minimize the chance of topping out or bottoming out. Sag is set with the preload adjustments. Preload does not change the suspension stiffness. If there is no external preload adjustment on the forks, then you need to change the length of the spacers atop the springs to get the right sag for your weight.

Tire pressure is a subject good for eternal debate. The lowest allowable pressure is the recommended pressure on the original sticker on the bike, if the sticker is still there, or if you can find that data somewhere. Many think this, or a couple of psi higher is the correct pressure. The highest allowable is the max pressure listed on the sidewall. Many think this is the correct pressure, and it can be used, but it actually is the minimum pressure required to carry the max load that tire is rated to carry. Start with the original factory recommendations, try that, raise it a couple of psi, try that, raise again, etc., and see what gives you the best result. Tires must flex a bit to get warm for good traction. Too low air lets them flex too much, wear fast, maybe flex way too much get too hot and fail. To high might not let them flex enought in cold weather to warm for good traction. The tire is your first bump absorber, and max air on a rough road gives a harsh ride. Cornering feel and traction will vary with pressure, so see what feels good to you.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Does your '85 have air-adjustable front forks? If so, proper adjustment makes a HUGE difference in handling. It's also quite difficult to get correct because it's very low volume and pressure -- practically impossible if you're only source of air is at the corner gas station.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

Oddometer: 264
Helpful suggestions. Thanks guys.
Yes, the front forks take air. If memory serves (it sometimes does) the max is 6 PSI. Guys on the nighthawk forum are almost uniformly against adding air. No serious rationale for that.
My problem is I don't know "good" from "gooder." I've taken trips, but have no basis of comparison. My first bike was a 74 Suzuki two stroke 250, upon which I also did multiple-day journeys. Compared to the Suzy my Nighthawk is fantastic in many ways. Could it be more so, and, if so, how can I tell?
I don't know any riders around here except a couple of HD guys. THey ride when the sun is out, in full costume/uniform, and look away when I ride by. The FJR rider I travel with knows about the same as I do about bikes. He likes stock. I like tweaking.
Just ride the bike? That's what I'm doing. But I do wonder if it can be made better.
Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll chase them down.

Yakima screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 04:28 PM
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote