User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #31
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Buy a police model

I have a 2000 FLHTP. I put on a detachable tour pak rack and small leather tour pak years ago. Not as much room as the full size tour pak but a lot less expensive. I think the police models are the best value, unless you absolutely have to have a brand new bike.
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #32
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Do you wear a full face helmet, and do you get buffeting behind the RK shield?
Dave, I usually wear a full face helmet except in the dog days of summer when I sometimes wear a 3/4 Arai. For reference, I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I do get some buffeting at highway speeds with the stock windshield. Not headbanging but still annoying. I moved to an LRS 19" recurve shield. That was an improvement but didn't eliminate the problem.

What did completely eliminate the buffeting for me is the new CVO Road King Windsplitter shield, which has an adjustable vent that directs air upward to counteract the air flowing downward from over the shield. Sounds weird but it really works, at least for someone my height. You can read about it here.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #33
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Thanks for all the food for thought you guys have given me. I'm headed down to Phoenix third week in Feb to rent a bike and make like a tourist. Looking forward to 6 days on an Electra Glide! That should make up my mid for me.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #34
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Thanks for all the food for thought you guys have given me. I'm headed down to Phoenix third week in Feb to rent a bike and make like a tourist. Looking forward to 6 days on an Electra Glide! That should make up my mid for me.
Lyle
Give me a shout I live about an hour away from Phoenix, maybe we can get a ride in, head down to Bisbee or Tombstone. Maybe my friend will come along she rides a 2011 Street Glide with 24k miles she likes to ride.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #35
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Eric. I'll do that. Thanks
Lyle
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #36
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet2 View Post
I think the police models are the best value, unless you absolutely have to have a brand new bike.
I agree but you can find therm new. I bought this in 2010 with 12 miles on it

The guy at the dealer told me that when a dealership gets a contract they are required to order and hold two bikes as spares for the department making the order. After six months they are free to sell the bikes sans siren & flashing lights. They are some what hard to find but since I bought mine I've seen probably close to a dozen in a hand full of dealerships.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #37
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Do you wear a full face helmet, and do you get buffeting behind the RK shield?
It's not the wind shield, it's the air coming up around the tank that gets caught under/in your helmet. Try putting your feet up on the bars and "hug" the tank with your legs. You'll find very calm air behind the RK windshield.

So, the best thing are those God-awful ugly chrome wind deflectors that go down on the outside of the forks. They are about $70 US, and work very well. I use a 3/4 helmet with full face shield and now have no buffeting.

(Would use a FF helmet, but with the speedo on the tank, you can't see it easily with a FF helmet.)

BTW, I do long trips (4000-12,000 miles) each year on a Road King, as well as run down to the store on it. I prefer it over the Electra Glide because the batwing faring makes me feel too claustrophobic.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #38
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Okay, I may cross over to the dark side. I've owned a couple of H-D's, and really liked them. Want to do a little more touring, and I'm old enough for some comfort.
These bikes are pretty close in price.
My usual mission (other than to Starbucks) would include 5-600 kilometre days. Usually, I'm lightly loaded (the bike, not the rider) and one up.
Or, should I just save 8K and throw a windshield and bags on a Super Glide Custom?
Lyle
For local rides and short 300 - 360 mile days lightly loaded and solo, heck yes just throw the windshield on the Super Glide Custom. You'll also need bags, a comfy seat, and little else. It's wont eat up the miles as effortlessly as the touring frame, but it is very competent for how you'll use it. And it has the same relaxing engine as the touring Harley's with 200 fewer pounds of weight.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #39
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
It's not the wind shield, it's the air coming up around the tank that gets caught under/in your helmet. Try putting your feet up on the bars and "hug" the tank with your legs. You'll find very calm air behind the RK windshield.
It's also the wind coming over the shield, as evidenced by the big difference in buffeting when the Wind Splitter vent is open directing air upward to counter the wind coming over the shield, and when it's closed.

Btw, I also found that the National Cycle hand guards also greatly improve wind protection by blocking a lot of the air that gets around the sides of the windshield
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #40
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
For local rides and short 300 - 360 mile days lightly loaded and solo, heck yes just throw the windshield on the Super Glide Custom. You'll also need bags, a comfy seat, and little else. It's wont eat up the miles as effortlessly as the touring frame, but it is very competent for how you'll use it. And it has the same relaxing engine as the touring Harley's with 200 fewer pounds of weight.
I agree with you that all you really need is some touring gear for that super and you can go as far as you want. However the SG would be my choice if you are talking about new bikes. I think they are a very good looking motorcycle and you don't need the tour pak. I know a fella that did a long weekend two up without the pak and had no problems. Less chrome to polish or scratch, better wheels, and just a more aggressive look overall. I wouldn't even think about a King if I were you.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #41
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Leaning heavily towards a Super Glide Custom with nice bags and a detachable windshield. Realizing the comfort level on the touring frames vs, the number of times I'd really need that vs, the price, etc., makes the Super Glide look like the best choice for me.
Lyle
Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #42
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
How about the Switchback? Bags, windshield, floorboards, touring size wheels/tires for 16,100(US)....

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #43
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Leaning heavily towards a Super Glide Custom with nice bags and a detachable windshield. Realizing the comfort level on the touring frames vs, the number of times I'd really need that vs, the price, etc., makes the Super Glide look like the best choice for me.
Lyle
Super Glide is a different ride than the SG or EG.

Since your considering a Dyna frame how about a Switchback? Comes standard with detachable hard bags and windshield.

Ooops, hdxbones beat me to the punch.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #44
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Lyle
It's more than the frame. After owning a Softail standard I swore off single front brakes on bikes weighing 700 lbs. The brakes on the touring bikes are excellent and ABS is a nice safety feature. If I had the budget to buy a new Dyna, I'd be looking for a used '09-'10 RK.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 12-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the way the Switchback looks that leaves me cold. It just doesn't talk to me.
Lyle