Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #31
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
A suggestion if you havent been to baja and want to take bikes+ camp.If you are hauling your bike down just stay in a beach campground like Kiki's,Ruben's or Club de Pesca and take day rides out of your camp.The weather in San Felipe is awesome this time of year.Watching the sun come up over the Sea of Cortez then riding into town for fresh shrimp cocktails for breakfast is the best way to start a day.from San Felipe you can take day rides or 1 or 2 overnight rides to Mike's Sky Ranch,Alphonsina's in Gonzaga bay or a trip to see Coco.There are lots of local roads + beach riding south of town.Its very easy to run 500-600 miles a week of just day rides there.You dont need a street legal bike there.1 thing I do if going to San Felipe is cross the border at Mexicali early-like 6am.Easy traffic flow Baja really doesnt start untill you are south of Ensenada or San Felipe.Both areas are about %50 retired americans.The bank atm's will give you pesos with your american atm card and you wont get ripped for an exchange fee..The campgrounds are gated at night but when I go riding I keep my stuff locked inside my van.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #32
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer View Post
Hi Mtcrawler,

Did you stay there? It looks like something my wife might like. What did you think of the place?

Thanks
Ken
I liked it. Wished I had planned more time (and food) there - only spent one night. If you like campsites with there own hot pools, you'll like it. Some nice hiking up canyon from the campground with nice natural swimming holes too. It was a little pricey, like $30/night, but i think worth it. Great stars out there too..

PM me if you have any other questions, otherwise you might do some searches here. Enjoy...
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post
I don't know that there is a simple answer to that. I would plan on crossing the border early in the day. Ensenada might be a good destination for your first night. I crossed the border at Tecate and bypassed Tijuana entirely, which seemed to be a solid choice. If you cross at Calexico, you might find your way to San Felipe the first night. I think that town can be a bit rough, but nothing to worry about if you keep an eye on your gear and stay in a place where you can secure your bike.
I think the Tecate border crossing is best. always lots faster, Way less traffic.
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #34
Riggerdan
Orange Noob

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
i've never regretted any time i've spent in baja. Go for it. Just lock up your stuff and keep an eye open for the same things you'd watch for at home. Enjoy yourself.
+1

KTM 530 EXC
KTM 990 ADVENTURE R
Riggerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
Riggerdan
Orange Noob

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney4vida View Post
I think the Tecate border crossing is best. always lots faster, Way less traffic.
They will let motorcycles through no problem / minimal wait
drive all the way up and there is a break in the concrete barriers by entrance

KTM 530 EXC
KTM 990 ADVENTURE R
Riggerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #36
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 787
To all who have recently done Baja...

I am gearing up for a winter 2013 rip down Baja and what is required for paperwork? Insurance? Is a passport all that is needed or is there more travel docs to gather?

Thanks for a great thread, tallpaul.

Subscribed and I'm sure I will be chiming in here and there.

YAHBO
Old 12-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #37
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Subscribed Never been to Baja
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #38
tallpaul63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post
I am gearing up for a winter 2013 rip down Baja and what is required for paperwork? Insurance? Is a passport all that is needed or is there more travel docs to gather?

YAHBO
You will need a passport. A visa is not required, but you are supposed to purchase a tourist permit, something like 25 bucks at the border. In Tecate, it only took a few minutes to take care of this. I don't think that they really check it, but I don't begrudge them a few bucks for the local economy. Better to be on the up and up, in case you get involved with the authorities.

Insurance is not required, or more accurately I should say that they won't check this as at the border as a condition of entry, but you may wish to purchase it. A personal decision.

You won't need a temporary vehicle import permit, unless you intend to leave Baja for the mainland, like taking the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan.

All in all, it's pretty simple.
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #39
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post
...You won't need a temporary vehicle import permit, unless you intend to leave Baja for the mainland, like taking the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan...
Anyone know if it's possible to get a temp vehicle import permit AFTER you've been in Baja for awhile. Our plans are a little open ended, but if we don't get the permit upon our border crossing are we screwed?

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #40
tallpaul63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
I don't have a definitive answer, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to get a temp vehicle import permit AFTER you've been in Baja for awhile. Our plans are a little open ended, but if we don't get the permit upon our border crossing are we screwed?

Questions for Banjercito If you have questions, e-mail this bi-lingual answer man: Erik Fernandez Carranza

Try emailing this fellow to see if you can make arrangements in La Paz. I suspect it can be done. Otherwise, you may look into making arrangements online, but the documents will have to be shipped to you, and I'd have concerns about that happening reliably,on your schedule. Probably easy to do from home with plenty of lead time though.

Paul
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #41
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,777
It is my understanding that "Visa office and associated "Bank" at the new crossing at SY is open 24-7.

It is also my understanding that the vehicle paperwork can be done in La Paz.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #42
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
You can get the permit at the ferry terminal in La Paz. Get your tourist visa when crossing into Baja. That's good for 180 days. Make sure the vehicle is in your name and you have proof of ownership (and notarized permission if there is a lien on the title). One vehicle per person so if you're traveling with a spouse have the bikes titled in separate names or have them both titled in both names.

This has worked for the wife and I in the past. You can get most of the info online.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #43
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
It is also my understanding that the vehicle paperwork can be done in La Paz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
You can get the permit at the ferry terminal in La Paz.
Cool, thanks.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #44
jazzer
Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
I liked it. Wished I had planned more time (and food) there - only spent one night. If you like campsites with there own hot pools, you'll like it. Some nice hiking up canyon from the campground with nice natural swimming holes too. It was a little pricey, like $30/night, but i think worth it. Great stars out there too..

PM me if you have any other questions, otherwise you might do some searches here. Enjoy...
Great, Thanks! I'll let you know how we like it.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #45
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post

YAHBO
Just got home from a 2 week trip. Insurance through Baja Bound for the bike, all of it done online. Crossed at Los Algodones (near Yuma), purchased tourist visa for 180 days for $25 at the first building to your right at the border.

No problems, no issues. Ride Report here.

Next year, I'll probably do it again but bring light camping gear to save $$$ on sleeping arrangements.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote