Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
That link is may be cutting a few corners short. Though thatīs tough to prove, cos they donīt even list the countries, that for example Finns could travel without a visa, they just announce, how many there are, according to them!

Especially īVisa-on-arrivalī is something, thatīs almost guaranteed to lead to confusion. In some cases, it could be available only, when you arrive via certain entry points (usually the biggest airports), and there may be other conditions, that you need to fulfill in order to get the VOA. And these regulations change all the time. So itīs really not so simple, any list would probably be out of date within a few weeks.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 09:41 PM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
A number of years ago I was in Havana. A young Cuban I was talking with made the comment that "our governments don't like each other, but our people, no problem !
He was of course referring to the USA and Cuba. I, of course wasn't supposed to be there.
I am very resentful of the fact that my government tells me which countries I cannot go to. Of course, there are many countries I have no desire or interest in going to.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
A young Cuban I was talking with made the comment that "our governments don't like each other, but our people, no problem !
Yep. And all the people don't like their govbermint some of the time.

I know I don't.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Yep. And all the people don't like their govbermint some of the time.

I know I don't.
I had always felt that most people were pretty much alike and basically wanted the same things. However, the goings on in the Middle East often make me doubt .
Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Well, there is no country whose citizens can travel everywhere without the need of a visa. But maybe some come close to it. I guess usually those countries are from the western world, high income, possibily neutral and with only few people emigrating. Citizens from those countries possibly are no "threat" to the target country. But a bad influence can of course be its history (colonialization, diplomatic disputes, etc.), repercussions for different religions, economy, trade with "the enemy", repercussions for strong immigration laws (for example there are a few african countries that make it difficult for French passport holders to enter because it's difficult for themselves to get a french visa).

I'm thinking of countries like Finland, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Belgium, etc.

But on the other hand, what countries are you think about where you are not able to get in? If you were from a poor country, yes, chances are high your visa gets declined when they don't believe that you only want to travel. But as a westerner, that happens seldom.

For you americans I can only think of problems with getting an Iranian visa. Saudia Arabia and Somalia is probably impossible, too, for different reasons. But those countries are off limits to others as well.

I think the problem is less your passport than your will to ride a motorcycle in said country. That poses more of a problem than going there as a backpacker where you have to travel on the usual bus/train routes (at least that's probably their logic).

-Azerbaijan only lets you ride your vehicle for 3 days or you have to pay a huge deposit
-Turkmenistan requires a guide if you are there for more than 5 days (Transit visa)
-China requires you to have a guide with you - somewhere around 150$ a day
-Myanmar doesn't let foreigners participate in traffic
-Israel - have fun getting there through land borders
-North Korea - ummm, I won't have to specify that, do I?

Summing it up, the bigger problem probably is the security in some countries and being able to ride your bike.

Peter and Kay Forwood have ridden their Harley to every (or almost?) country that is. Including North Korea. I think they are Australian.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
You visa us, we visa you...add a fee and we do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
Peter and Kay Forwood have ridden their Harley to every (or almost?) country that is. Including North Korea. I think they are Australian.
Yes Ozies. Blog over on HU http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/
Read it if you want to know why belt drives are a bad idea.

On the visa issiue. One country may find that other countries visitors want to stay ilegally, so they introduce visas to vet the incoming people. The second country then introduces visas back to the first countries visitors... tit for tat. Thus both countries people suffer visas due to a few.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote