Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
feldjäger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Road or dirt riding with a group, whats the limit for you?

So I have done a few rides recently with groups of 8-14 bikes, and have had mixed feelings about the experience. I guess the big thing is the groups I have rode with consisted of only a rider or two I have been on a ride with before, and figuring out other people's skills in a group can be interesting. I find its either, too slow, more stops than needed, loud bikes, riders who don't know how to ride in groups, i.e., spacing, and formations, ect...

Curious to what others think, and what are your limits, and experiences.
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Andy Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'm a Loner

I prefer riding in pairs, no more than 4 to 6; somebody is always waiting on somebody, usually me!
Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Angry Wookie
Running On Fumes

Oddometer: 223
If I ride in a group I like to ride with two or three friends that I know well. Every now and then a group of five of us gets together to ride. We all know each other and our riding styles and abilities so it works well. I've learned not to ride in any larger groups or with more than one or two other people I wasn't used to riding with.

When I have ridden in larger groups (anywhere from 10-20 riders) after an hour or two I got so frustrated with the slow pace/dangerous riding/constant stopping, I told the ride leader it wasn't working for me, have a nice day I'll be taking off on my own.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
So I have done a few rides recently with groups of 8-14 bikes, and have had mixed feelings about the experience. I guess the big thing is the groups I have rode with consisted of only a rider or two I have been on a ride with before, and figuring out other people's skills in a group can be interesting. I find its either, too slow, more stops than needed, loud bikes, riders who don't know how to ride in groups, i.e., spacing, and formations, ect...

Curious to what others think, and what are your limits, and experiences.
I have a hard time with large rides. Not in a bad way, so to speak.
One one hand you got to meet new people, most of them are great.
You get to ride a road/trail/goatpath or more that you have never been on.
Probably some little 6' square buildings that the most amazing food that you have never been to. You get to poke and prod bikes that you might like to own or are just curious about, all because they are there.

So when you go on these types of rides, you have to adapt your attitude to that. No biggie.

On the other hand...........Just hope that there is not some hotrod bastard that wants to back it in. People have been kinda pissed about me roosting them ....Sometimes I just go stoopit

I could tell you some funny as stories of me riding all over the US with the fucktards from this site. From "holy fuck that dude was scary"...to "Jeebus H. Christ that mofo OWNS that KTM" and everything inbetween.

Either way, I have had some unreal fun rides, regusrdless of the number of riders.

Then there is some of the local street only guys around here.
Not even in the same ballpark, but same skill level. I dont mind pinning an FZ1, but I get really nervous about the LEO. On dirt, my biggest fear was knocking my dumbass out.....alone....again....

Go with the flow....you just never know.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,822
I don't really mind how big a group I ride with but there's a few things that I ensure happens when riding in groups of any size....

that everyone knows from the get go that the larger the group, the slower the ride
make sure everyone knows the basics of group riding, establish some basic ground rules
safety first and don't be afraid to take steps if someone is being a dickhead

etc etc

I'd ridden solo, I've ridden in with a small group of mates, with strangers, with demo groups consisting of thousands. If I don't like the way things are going out, then I take action...that could be slowing down, stopping, having a chat, agreeing to meet at the rendezvous point and then making my own way...etc etc..

But it's all riding :) just another way of experiencing it, a bit like track days vs off road vs touring
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,917
I've never ever had as much fun in a group ride as I do solo, so I simply avoid them.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,331
I am fine with a group ride or day-trip. I do like it best when the bikes are all about the same, in our case- slowish on the roadway single cylinders. Ride, eat, ride, eat, & repeat. Also done some 3-4 trips with several bikes, all good.

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,514
As George Carlin asked, "Ever notice that the people who drive faster than you are maniacs, and the people who drive slower than you are morons?"

I don't like riding with maniacs or morons. So I do 99% of my riding alone.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
nelliedawg82
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just like a lot of sports

I do a lot of white water kayaking and snowboarding/skiing and have found in those sports when you get more than 4 things just get too, well crowded. Too much keeping track of each other.

I do most of my riding solo, mostly cause I have a lot of weekdays off, but when I do ride with others the same thing seems to apply. I like small groups 3 ppl, 4 tops. I guess one of my favorite things about riding is you don't need anyone else to ride with, at least street riding. I figure trail riding is right back to "better to have someone with you, looking out for ya Just in case."
nelliedawg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
With good riders I am OK with a BUNCH.

When there are new-ish/ inexperienced riders, No more than four.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
For day rides I am OK either way. For touring my preference is to go alone, I really loved the solitude on my last two long trips. I like the idea of having breakfast together, riding on your own during the day and meet at a specified destination for socializing in the evening and maybe sharing the cost of the room. But it's hard to find trip partners willing to ride like that.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Daddyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I've met people who only will ride with their "buddies", that's one take. For them it's a social event.
If you ride alone you can go when you want, stop when you want, wherever you want and for how long you want. You can speed up, slow down, turn down any road you encounter. You can sing really loud and off key without bothering anybody. Zig zag, wheelie, whatever turns your crank.
It's all personal preference.

DO
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Im a little more ok riding with larger 5+ rider while offroad. At least then its no big deal to pull over and stop and you dont worry about other traffic splitting you up.
On road I prefer small groups. Ive also done a lot of great solo riding.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
feldjäger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I guess my biggest thing is everyone in a group of more than 6 riders should know the basics to formation riding, hand and arm signals, when to pass, when not to, basic stuff.

all in all I enjoy any ride I'm on where its on the road or dirt, and if its dirt I hope I'm one of the riders in the front, don't like eating your dust
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Riding in groups is allways too slow or too many stops or bad safety distance habbits or stupid "I'm faster than you" claims etc.
Touring with one or two guys I know and like very well is ok and I can oversee the above mentioned things, but since most strangers are idiots when you get to know them longer than 5 minutes...

Best for me would be one wingman with the same habbits and interests. Still searching...