Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,695
I'll admit I haven't read most if what's already been written but I'm pretty sure you guys have missed the most important thing about a fairing.

If you have a fairing on your dirt/adv bike then you'll look like a fully sik Dakar racer.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #32
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
QUOTE=DRjoe;20315879]I'll admit I haven't read most if what's already been written but I'm pretty sure you guys have missed the most important thing about a fairing.

If you have a fairing on your dirt/adv bike then you'll look like a fully sik Dakar racer.[/QUOTE]

There will be NO mistaking me, or my beast for a Dakar bike...mine will be ugly...like me.
The rally fairing Idea is on my mind because I do still plan on plenty of slabbing, so it would be nice to have something to take some pressure off the chest at hiway speeds, definately not a neccesity for more dirt stuff, even prefered not to have one, but as a combo bike, it needs to be a consideration at least.

What are you working on these days Joe?
How is the twin DR you built doing?
Feel free to harrass me...I deserve it. You owe me a few kicks.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #33
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,695
The dr500 is still unfinished I've been to busy working on this old thing

DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #34
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
The dr500 is still unfinished I've been to busy working on this old thing

Want. Bad.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Drjoe,
I bet you hate every minute of working on that orange koolaide pig.

Me want too sailah, me just cant afford and they out of my range. I, like you 2 want something completely...to quote the Monty Python crew

Although the more I search for ideas on here the more I find what I am doing is not THAT different....
Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #36
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
I prefer a fairing and lights that turn with the bars. I ride nasty terrain at night fairly often and I like to be able to point my lights where I want to see, really helps to pick a line. I can't tell any difference when I add weight to the forks, but I'm pretty big and don't like steering dampers either, my arms can handle it.

All of that is fork mounted:

I don't like low fenders, it's a good way to throw yourself over the bars and right down the road on your back, especially if it has dual discs with a crossover brake line. High fender on a boxer is fine, just make sure the oil cooler can get some air.

Fork mounted lights, fairing and gauges, HID ballasts too. High fender, 320 mm rotor, twin piston caliper, skinny spokes, no steering damper, .49 kg springs...no issues:

Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #37
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 9,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
I do not smoke either and never will. I have a daughter that suffers from asthma and smoke chokes her out bad. We have neighbors that all smoke in their back yard and we have our windows open in the summer and we get choked out everyday. I can not afford to run the AC all of the time nor do I want to, those jackasses piss me the hell off.
I would never and will never support any death stick companies. I do not care if Gaston Raihers trust and BMW gave me the 1st Dakar winning actual bike still with Dakar dirt on, I would peel off those crappy ass stickers or Kilz over the paint and get rid of that crap from my bike.

I do not just dislike cigarettes, I HATE smoking and people that smoke. PERIOD. Sorry smokers, I have never seen one smoke that was responsible with their butts, wrappers, boxes, cellophane, ash, matches and foils liners. They ALL throw some of that stuff in the street, in the toilets, on my lawn, out the window of their car and into my face or lap while riding....I hate you dirty, discusting, polluting, and inconsiderate fools that smoke....
Thanks for you input, off my soap box now and on to my build plan.
Way to hijack your own thread! I can almost see the spittle on the screen!
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #38
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

I will make Momma spank me for the hi-jack
Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #39
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I prefer a fairing and lights that turn with the bars. I ride nasty terrain at night fairly often and I like to be able to point my lights where I want to see, really helps to pick a line. I can't tell any difference when I add weight to the forks, but I'm pretty big and don't like steering dampers either, my arms can handle it.

All of that is fork mounted:

I don't like low fenders, it's a good way to throw yourself over the bars and right down the road on your back, especially if it has dual discs with a crossover brake line. High fender on a boxer is fine, just make sure the oil cooler can get some air.

Fork mounted lights, fairing and gauges, HID ballasts too. High fender, 320 mm rotor, twin piston caliper, skinny spokes, no steering damper, .49 kg springs...no issues:

What forks did you use for that BMW conversion?
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #40
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
You can have your cake and eat it too. Mount the lights to the frame and connect them to the forks with linkage so they turn with the steering. Some of the Baja teams used to do that with the big dual 8" racelights.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #41
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

My bike will be a garage build...not some Dakar factory team.

I do not see the need for that much work to go into a headlight system.

I can see people doing stuff like that to keep weight off of the handlebars and then adding a steering dampener which makes the steering feel heavy to me. I see the need for dampeners at high speed desert runs, but I hate them in anything twisty. I took mine off of my 530.

To go to THAT much work to take weight off of the front steering and then add a dampener is ludacris....

I will probably start with a small mask type headlight to get my bike on the road, but build a dakar style rally fairing as time goes on. I will run some small bullet flood lamps or spots mounted on the lower triples. I always want to have at least SOME light pointed where the wheel is pointed.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #42
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,250
What seems crazy to you is perfectly sensible to me. Oh, and you know you can adjust most steering stabilizers to almost completely eliminate any/all low-speed damping right? Not trying to sell you one, it's just that they don't have to slow down the steering at all. Depends on how you set them up.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

I could not slow mine down to anywhere near "off". Even the lowest setting was still too stiff for my taste, then they are a PITA to change while riding. The GPR I had sucked for changing settings, it was the best for really high speed desert stuff, like tapped out top gear through the rough because it slows down steering in both directions. The Scott I ran for a while was a bit better in some ways, It was easier to adjust on the fly and dampened well on the deflection but was easier to steer because it has no {or minimal} dampening on RTC {return to center} so the feel is a bit lighter, but still turn in on a corner is heavy.

I forget the brand, but I knew a guy that had a cool dampener on street legal CRF450 that had a thumb control right under the throttle, almost like a hot start lever. It was EASY to use and its lowest setting was almost completely off, but that puppy cost him $1200....this is a budget build.

What ever I do fairing wise, it will be as light as possible. Fork mounted or steering neck mounted frontend weight is bad in rough terrain and soft terrain.

I do not need a lot of stuff. I will probably use an Endurance or Vapor style with minimal stuff. I do not need a gear indicator and all of that stuff like my RT has. I am a dirt bike guy and DS guy....minimalist.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #44
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

BTW Jesus the Cat,
I did not mean to sound as if an idea you like or want to use or already have on your bike is crazy or bad. Sorry if I sounded like that.
The idea is awesome, just way beyond what I want to do. If you do it, please post up some build pics and fabrication shots and a finish photo. I would love to see it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #45
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
What forks did you use for that BMW conversion?

XR650R

"fairing" is a stock BMW windshield cut down.