Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #3856
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
My bike is the white KLR. The Honda belongs to one of my employees. The Honda is his first bike, he is now using it to commute, saving a ton of money in gas as his other vehicle is a 4 wheel drive P/U.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #3857
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
Sure riders can deal with it. Nevertheless Honda did make a silly mistake hiding the gas cap under the seat, rather than positioning on the right side. Don't you think?
Honda designed the tank to meet their own standard of crashworthiness which required metal construction instead of plastic and a secure cap with the entire tank inside of the frame. Similar under seat plastic tanks have sponsons that protrude outside of the perimeter of the frame and have plastic gas fills that are the first thing to take a hit in a crash or a fall on that side. This design did not meet Honda's standard. It is what it is. No bike is perfect.

Speaking of silly mistakes manufacturers make ...... what do you think of the plastic quick disconnects for the fuel lines on your GS? Nothing like a $20,000 bike filling your boot with gas while riding down the road. Replace yours yet?

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #3858
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin;20317324[B
]Honda designed the tank to meet their own standard of crashworthiness which required metal construction[/B] instead of plastic and a secure cap with the entire tank inside of the frame. Similar under seat plastic tanks have sponsons that protrude outside of the perimeter of the frame and have plastic gas fills that are the first thing to take a hit in a crash or a fall on that side. This design did not meet Honda's standard. It is what it is. No bike is perfect.

Speaking of silly mistakes manufacturers make ...... what do you think of the plastic quick disconnects for the fuel lines on your GS? Nothing like a $20,000 bike filling your boot with gas while riding down the road. Replace yours yet?
I thought I wouldn't like the tank under the seat, but now I like it a lot. No one has access to my tank unless they have a key.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #3859
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Somehow I knew you didn't really want to discuss how owners solve how to strap a dry bag across the seat.
Um...No. that was a serious question. At the show in Long Beach there were quite a few people who wanted to see under the seat, but no key available.
I'm wondering; Did you "know" this in the same way you know about "a fussy gas filler on the GS"? I ride up to the pump, take the key from the ignition and put it in the tank lock and turn. Then take the card from my sleeve pocket and slide it, and pump gas, unless I dismount, start the pump and walk into the minimart. Doesn't everybody on a modern bike do it that way? Oh! That's right. You have to get off the bike and take it apart. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
I thought I wouldn't like the tank under the seat, but now I like it a lot. No one has access to my tank unless they have a key.
Um...most modern bikes have a locking tank. I don't think hiding the filler cap under the seat was a good idea at all, but it's the ideal location for centralizing mass. It makes the bike feel lighter and helps it corner better. I just struggle with the idea of digging for it. Is that pillion seat required to protect anything from the weather, or can you "loose it"?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #3860
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Honda designed the tank to meet their own standard of crashworthiness which required metal construction instead of plastic and a secure cap with the entire tank inside of the frame..............

Honda for crashworthinness is now insisting all their gas tanks will now be made from metal and located inside a frame? Are you sure about that? Their all new 2013 CRF250L doesnít.

Thanks for the heads up (Iím serious). I didnít realize my 2009 GS1200 had plastic quick disconnects that are problematic? Iíve not had any leaks, but Iíll look in to it.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #3861
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
information or what?

I think if you find something you really don't like about the NC700X almost all of the owners think that is fine. To try and convince owners to agree with you just doesn't make sense. There is a forum of owners that you can google and look through to get some ideas about the issues they are having with the NC. Typically the big grips are the usual, seat, wind protection, just like every machine. Some think it buzzes and vibrates to much.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #3862
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Honda for crashworthinness is now insisting all their gas tanks will now be made from metal and located inside a frame? Are you sure about that? Their all new 2013 CRF250L doesnít.

Thanks for the heads up (Iím serious). I didnít realize my 2009 GS1200 had plastic quick disconnects that are problematic? Iíve not had any leaks, but Iíll look in to it.
I did not say that at all. I said for the NC700 Honda designed the tank for crashworthiness.

Dave
Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #3863
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I'm wondering; Did you "know" this in the same way you know about "a fussy gas filler on the GS"?
I know it because my closest riding partner has a 2005 GS like yours. We have ridden many miles on many trips together. The fill or neck of the tank is such that fuel bubbles or spills out if you don't hold the nozzle at the right angle with the correct velocity of fill. You don't just open the fill and pump - that would be too easy. I have waited for him enough times to know. I am also a member of a BMWMOA club with 300+ members and have ridden thousands of miles with fellow BMW owners. We talk like all owners do.

Dave
Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #3864
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:

I have an 07 Suzuki C50 which has quick disconnects for the big gas tank, and I love them. Trying to hold up that rhino gas tank and trying to loosen gas lines would be a PITA. By the way, the bike has 58,000+ miles on it (bought new with 1 mile on the odo) with 0 problems from the quick disconnects.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #3865
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
.... so has anyone figured how to put a set of solid USD forks on this bike yet, or are we all busy deflecting complaints about gas caps and 'weenie bike' insults?

Really hoping someone figures the fork swap over the winter so I could pick up one of these for the '13 riding season....
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #3866
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
I know it because my closest riding partner has a 2005 GS like yours. We have ridden many miles on many trips together. The fill or neck of the tank is such that fuel bubbles or spills out if you don't hold the nozzle at the right angle with the correct velocity of fill. ....
You're right, a PIA it was. If I'm recalling correctly it is a plastic "restrictor" at the neck in the opening that if you remove makes it much easier to fill. It's probably there to keep the tank from being overfilled on US spec'd bikes with the charcoal evap canister.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #3867
rowbear2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
not only do have watch the quick disconnects . the plastic plate that
holds the fuel pump in the tanks also leak . how do i know had both
break and leaked on my r1200r . you need to watch the bmw forums
closer .
rowbear2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #3868
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

Um...most modern bikes have a locking tank. I don't think hiding the filler cap under the seat was a good idea at all, but it's the ideal location for centralizing mass. It makes the bike feel lighter and helps it corner better. I just struggle with the idea of digging for it. Is that pillion seat required to protect anything from the weather, or can you "loose it"?
Look here, I don't like the direction I took this thread and I don't feel good about it. Please accept my apology for any snide insults I sent your way. I hope you find the right bikes for your South America trip and we should all be so lucky to have a girlfriend or wife that rides and has such an interest in wheeled conveyances in general.

If I can, let me show you what the tank fill looks like. The seat is hinged at the rear and has a prop rod that falls into place when the seat is unlocked and lifted. I don't judge the hinge and rod to be strong enough to leave my dry bag strapped to it and still lift and prop the seat. By having the entire tank between the subframe tubes the haunches of the bike are very slim. The F and G series BMW's are not at all bulky in this area but with the two bikes side by side the size difference is very apparent.

For someone that wanted to do it would not be a stretch to fabricate another fill off to the side or something and build a flat rack in place of the seat. The area under the seat is not waterproofed by the seat itself but the pillion seat does provide some weather protection. About 2500 of my 8000+ miles on the NC on what I call regional tours where I ride one day about 400-450 miles to get to the mountains three states away so the dry bag is on the seat just for the ride up and back. About two gas stops is all. All the rest of the time there is no reason to have anything on the seat.

Dave
Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #3869
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,661
so....you make less then your employees? or you just like to spend less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
My bike is the white KLR. The Honda belongs to one of my employees. The Honda is his first bike, he is now using it to commute, saving a ton of money in gas as his other vehicle is a 4 wheel drive P/U.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #3870
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
so....you make less then your employees? or you just like to spend less!

Wealth is defined by what you need, not wat you have isn't it?

Bugz screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 02:22 AM
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote