Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #376
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Klr 650. I've owned two. The first one was the first new bike I ever owned and my 2nd bike in total. I owned it for a few years, it was my sole transportation. I tried to make it more comfortable with a corbin and taller windscreen. No dice, the thing beat me up so much that after an hour I was sore after two hours I couldn't wait to get off the bike. So I sold it and bought a bandit. Not really the best bike for me, so if sold that and bought and xr650l. The xr was better than the klr in every way, lighter, smoother on the highway, light years better off road, and more powerful over all. I was just getting ready to add cases and a new windscreen when it was stolen. After this I was bike less for two years before I bought another klr. I thought I'd give it another try. It was fine to ride around town but no fun on extended trips. So I sold that one as well. Just never really got the klr. I think the xr650l can be made into such a better tourer for not much money.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #377
stevenknapp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
My first bike was an '85 Magna VF700C. I loved it.

I sold it, got a '98 Triumph Trophy, and RT, etc.. somewhere in there I had the chance to buy it back. I thought I'd love it, all the nostalgia if nothing else.

I sold it soon after. Just never wanted to ride it. Was uncomfortable, handled and braked poorly.Was a better memory than a ride.
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #378
beac83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
If this thread goes long enough, we will eventually list every bike ever made. No bike will suit everyone.

For me (6'1", 185) the bikes I really wanted to like but never could were:

'98 CBR600F3. I bought it new and never felt comfortable with the bike. The buzzy grips made my hands numb in half an hour. The seating position made we want to get off the bike and rest in about the same amount of time. My other bike at the time was a VF1100S, which I still think was my most liked bike, and comparing these two made the F3 a short-lived resident of my garage. I only put about 3500 miles on it before it was gone.

'05 FJR1300. I bought this when I got rid of the CBR. Without a 6th gear (which was added in later years) this bike was always running at high rpm on the highway, and was always throwing too much heat on my legs. A very stable performer, but the heat, and again the buzzy grips caused it to be sold before the odo hit 10,000.

Like others have said, I've sold the ones that didn't "fit" me. Part of me wishes I still had the V65 Sabre. There was nothing like that smooth V4 with lots of torque.
beac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #379
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
'05 FJR1300. I bought this when I got rid of the CBR. Without a 6th gear (which was added in later years)
wrong.... been a five speed since day one.

My '07 was one of my favorite bikes of all time - very sporty side of the sport-touring equation, great comfort and range....and very low maintenance.
I put over 34,000 miles on mine in under two years with the stock seat and ergonomics.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #380
Superbikemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Anyone mention the Yamaha XS650? I bought one in '81.
+1..... my 1st bike.... bought a used one in '83.... that bike was so boring........ Zzzzzzzzz...... ;)
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #381
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,886
Triumph Thunderbird Sport. I bought a new one in '04 after having been away from bikes for many year. Still had it when I just had to have a R1150R. Got that and kept the bird too. Finally sold the bird as I was riding the RR mostly. A couple of years ago I came across another bird. (Still riding the RR). I went and tested the guys bird. I just didn't love it. it made me wonder why I bought the first one.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #382
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Last spring I bought a 2000 k12rs with 11k miles.....looked ,ran new.......two weeks later....abs module bad, no problem, rode without......then, rear main oil seal.......weather is good, dont want to spend a weekend or more fixing it, not happy with the ergos, wind noise, two windshields, wind wings, lower pegs, not comfy at all, helmet bounce all the time, tiny foot controls, I had a zx12r that was much more ridable than the k12. traded it for a FatBoy evo, 98 low mileage, not happy with that either and would trde it in a minute for a DS, with cash for the right one....I was frustrated with the BMW made a mistake trading it for the Harley. Didn't take my time riding different bikes, which I have since done, although I'm thinking F800gs but havn't ridden one yet....sorry for whining......
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #383
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
The new Bonnies. Tried numerous ones and they are all boring. They work well enough, comfort, handling, braking pwoer are all very good for a bike in its class and price but somehow I feel bored on it. It does everything very well except it is as interesting as a new kitchen appliance.
So Triumph built a Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Triumph Thunderbird Sport. I bought a new one in '04 after having been away from bikes for many year. Still had it when I just had to have a R1150R. Got that and kept the bird too. Finally sold the bird as I was riding the RR mostly. A couple of years ago I came across another bird. (Still riding the RR). I went and tested the guys bird. I just didn't love it. it made me wonder why I bought the first one.
Because it was yellow?

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #384
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
I think just about every bike ever built has been covered now. Any we've missed?
See my earlier post on page 2 or 3, replying to someone who was praising this thread as a useful precautionary tale to people looking to make a purchasing decision.... As expected it became an all-encompassing complaints box for bikes of all stripes...

I think all it does is scare new riders or potential owners from buying ANY bike.

Unfortunate but so typical of the interwebs...
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #385
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
Unfortunate but so typical of the interwebs...
Or a useful reminder that we're all just a little bit different from one another.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #386
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Or a useful reminder that we're all just a little bit different from one another.

Maybe, esp. for more mature riders who can discern that.. I do however clearly remember buying my first bike and seeing posts online 'documenting' problems that would send waves of doubt of wheter I should really be spending what were at the time my life savings on this or ANY motorcycle.

Perspective is fairly aplenty among experienced (and those that in turn can likely somewhat afford buying a lemon), but often lacking among the impressionable young and new to the hobby/sport.

Really, I think that 39 pages of random complaining are not worth the bandwith they are sucking up :)
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #387
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
What are the bikes you thought you'd like a lot more than you did on the first ride?

I was inspired to ask this by a demo ride of that sort the other day. And I had a similar one a year ago. But my tales can wait. I want yours!
Appears to be an open ended question posted for anyone and everyone to reply. Looks like the poster got exactly what he wanted, almost 30 pages of human disappointment with their purchases. Imagine the thread size if he had asked, "what disappoints you about your spouse?"
I have enjoyed this, as I've owned many of the bikes mentioned and agreed with some posts and not so much with others. It's been a fun read... tp dd50
Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #388
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,930
My wife came from a "Harley" backrground and even though she has told me that my GS is the most comfortable bike she has ridden pillion on, she still lusts for that big V Twin experience. I wasn't going to spring for a Hog, but I was open to trying a touring styled cruiser from one of the metric giants.

Around that time I was at Mid Ohio for Vintage and the Kawasaki demo truck was there. As luck would have it, the Vulcan Nomad was available for a ride which was one of the cruisers that interested me so I took a demo. I am not sure what I was expecting, but as pretty as the bike was, it did absolutely nothing for me. I couldn't wait for the demo ride to be over so I could get off.

Don't you just hate it when the good visual is ruined by a poor riding experience?

I never did pick up a cruiser which is just as well as my wife decided after my deer strike in '10, that she was't going to ride anymore.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #389
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
Really, I think that 39 pages of random complaining are not worth the bandwith they are sucking up :)
The implication being that random praise is somehow more worthy of bandwidth? Personally I like to hear both sides of the story, especially if the reasons are explained. Some opinions you value more than others, just like real life.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #390
adcolor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Ok, I'll add my little thoughts:

2001 Gold wing. It was everything a large high dollar car is: fast, smooth, handled well. And no wind, no sensation of being outside. Took it for a 500 mile ride. Wife was relived when I told her I wasn't interested.

Aprilia Caponard: Rode my current bike to the test and then home. The Capo demo ride was fast -- a lot of 100+ mph riding, some curves, etc. Thought, not bad, bigger seat for 2. Then rode my 03 Thunderbird Sport home. Took about a mile to mark the Capo off of my list. Just not that fun.

Buell Ulysses: Wanted to like it. Test rode one when new, and one recently (this time 2 up and some curvy roads). Handled well, liked the seating position. My wife's description: the engine felt like an inspired riding mower. Can't add to that.

My TBS could use 20-30 hp (6000' + altitude is no help), and the correct rear spring (which came mounted on a new shock) has made a huge difference (plus, well known stock seat sucks; now replaced). About time for it to find a new home -- need more upright riding position and a little more foot room for 2. KTM 950/990 SM T is on the short list for a test ride.

My preferences are for a naked bike that can handle, with a slightly sporting riding position (had cruisers, don't want one). It has to be able to handle 1 rider or 2, with or w/o soft bags. And we start with 200#. Hope that helps set the perspective.
adcolor is offline   Reply With Quote