Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #616
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Glad you're reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by love/hate it View Post
Still following along and am especially enjoying the pictures. You seem to be adapting well to your new world. Sent Steph what was to be an installment on your report. I'm sure she and the Learning Center appreciate what you are doing for them. Season's best to you man. Ride safe.
Thank You for your donation. It makes me feel good to know that some people will benefit from my ride. There are so many people that could use a hand up, down here, and in Central America. I see it and we all know Steph saw it and did something about it.

I have enjoyed my time in Colombia. This country is recovering from so many bad years, now they have an expanding economy and I think that's why Mike and i have encountered so many trucks on the road. Great roads just loaded with trucks

This morning I will finally have a chance to check out tires. Then I don't know what were doing. We may stay here for Christmas, there are worse ideas. Here we have WiFi, it's a decent neighborhood that could pass for a neighborhood in Toronto.

Another rider showed up here yesterday. Steve from Vernon BC. I knew his bike the moment I saw it. It's a GS 800. It's one of the other two bikes that went on the same aircraft my and Boris' bike went on. Mike and I saw the other bike a German BMW pass up, opposite direction, up by Santa Marta. It's a small world. Steve is staying here for Christmas and will likely join us for New Years.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #617
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Incredible journey so far! I always think that the best bike is that one you can afford. I mean after all I am sure even the those fancy bikes lack a few things here and there. Glad to see that you didn't let the Central America mishap shape your trip. Thanks for the continued updates.

Later
John
You know, that is so true! Angele and I have many other things on the go. Dropping 20 grand on a bike didn't make sense to me. I got a screaming deal on this fully farkled KLR and it is serving me well.

I think for me the hassles at the borders were wearing me down. Showing up at those borders, alone, not speaking Spanish is a trying ordeal. Colombia where I've been riding for about ten days without even thinking of borders has been great.

I have received reports from riders up ahead that the Ecuador border is relatively easy but there is a long wait for your migration stamp due to foot traffic. Not so bad, it sounds like you don't have to jump through 14 hoops like we did at some borders.

Glad you're following along

Dwight
Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #618
Kedgi OP
Banned

Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMotor View Post
Or remove the four screws holding the windshield and replace it form the top. Either way it is not necessary to remove the fairing.
That's good to know. This website and it's readers are amazing.

Kedgi
Old 12-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #619
Kedgi OP
Banned

Christmas

Hey it's Christmas Eve, people are in the spirit of giving, and I'm thinking I should post this link again. In case anyone hasn't seen it this is the blog from my friend Steph who I met in El Salvador. She is raising money for a much needed learning center in Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. She rode her bicycle from Calgary, Alberta Canada to Nicaragua and 20 miles from her final destination she was struck by a car. Click on the link and you can meet this amazing young lady and if you have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket you can donate to her cause.

http://stephgoescyclingforacause.blogspot.com/
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #620
anytwocylinder
Too Old for WHAT?

Oddometer: 22
Merry Christmas

Kedgi,

I can't tell you how much we (myself and office staff) are enjoying your report. It has resulted in many hours of lost productivity I'm sure but your trials, tribulations and written insight have made it well worth it. We have spent many summers riding your home turf in the Canadian Maritimes from the Hartford, Ct area. Hopefully we will cross your path someday.

Outstanding work and much continued safe and smooth riding. We'll be living vicariously through you this winter. As for Steph, we did the math on what we all paid for our last good novel and sent that amount to the fine young lady's cause. Just be sure to keep the good adventure stories coming. We need a great ending to the book.

Enjoy your holiday away from home. We wish you all the best.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #621
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 170
Merry Christmas!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #622
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
Merry Christmas!
Thanks

It doesn't feel very much like Christmas here. It is about 30C and very humid in Cali today.

I walked over to the Chipichape Mall to go to the bank machine. Chipichape is six blocks from here. Cali's largest mall. They say there is even a skating rink in there. I walked around for a while but never saw it. I get the feeling I didn't see half the Mall. Chipichape ranks as Cali's third most popular tourist attraction according to Lonely Planet. You could tell it was Christmas eve over there. Wow, Crazy traffic!

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #623
Kedgi OP
Banned

Christmas riders meet

We seem to be having a Christmas riders meet here at the Moto Cafe

Frank and Tony, two San Francisco riders just arrived and are staying for Christmas. They are two of the guys I met in Cartagena that sailed on the Stahlratte.

Steve is here from BC, Mike from Scotland and myself, so we should have fun tonight.

Alison who also sailed on the Stahlratte should be nearby tomorrow in Medellin, which is about an 8 hour ride from here. She will likely join us soon.

There is another rider, Adam, I believe his name is who is on his way here by bus from Southern Colombia. He had an accident yesterday and collided with a truck. He broke his hand and a bone in his arm I understand and will need surgery and he wanted to get it done in Cali instead of the small town where the crash happened. Mike's wife who is Colombian has been trying to help find out where his bike is, transportation details all that stuff because she of course speaks Spanish.

Adam has just arrived. I spoke with him briefly, before he and Mike took off somewhere in Mike's truck. His arm and hands look pretty messed up but he's alive and kicking. I'll see if he'll let me take some pictures later.

Mike and his wife are wonderful hosts, Mike arranged to get me some tires. The tire guy had what I need in his computer but couldn't find them in his warehouse.He found something very similar. Mike has arranged to have them delivered to me Wednesday morning. he is an awesome guy. I would highly recommend his rental business to anyone who wants to fly to Colombia and ride Motolombia, He has several locations in Colombia and is easily found online. We met his assitant, James yesterday. James is a very entertaining guy, originally from New Hampshire. He has to deliver a BMW GS 1200 rental to Medellin tomorrow. Tough job but somebody has to do it!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #624
Kedgi OP
Banned

Good Christmas Morning

Merry Christmas from the Casa Blanca Hostel and Motolombia in beautiful Cali Colombia.

We had a good time last night, a chicken dinner sort of like Kentucky Fried at a place near here and then a few beers at a local bar then we came back to the Hostel and all got together with some of the backpackers that are staying here. I played a little drunken chess with a German traveler and got my butt kicked. All in all it was a very nice night.

The city is very quiet this morning, hardly a car moving. Mike just left to pick up two Americans at the airport who are flying in this morning for a four day ride. He has two brand new KLX450R's for them to ride. He tells me they are desert racers and he's hoping he can keep up.

Here are a few pictures

Mike, the owner of Motolombia and the Casa Blanca Hostel

His nice new KLX450R's

The Casa Blanca, where we are staying

As i said yesterday. I met Adam very briefly before Mike whisked him off to the hospital. When we left for supper they still were not back. When I was walking back to the hostel I was wondering if he was spending Christmas Eve in hospital but...he was back. This is the only picture i took last night. Meet Adam

For a guy that doesn't know where his bike is and is all banged up, he's in very good spirits.He has to wait for 4 days for the swelling to go down before they can operate on him. He has broken bones in his hands and forearms

He says all he can remember is a lot of broken plastic and that he hit a truck, but no detail, then he remembers the hospital. I don't know much more about Adam, the party was in full swing here when I got back. Mike and his wife had provided lots of snacks and everyone had a very good Christmas Eve. I went to bed at midnight and there were a lot that were still partying then.

I highly recommend Motolombia. It's a great spot

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 05:18 AM
Old 12-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #625
Kedgi OP
Banned

Bluhduh Problem I didn't need

I'll take, "Problems I didn't need for 200 Alex"

My bank card is about to expire!

I bought the tires I needed and in order to pay for them I needed cash. I withdrew the money from my checking account using my bankcard as always. I then called home and asked Angele to put some more money in my account. when she did she saw a meesage from the bank, "You're bank card is about to expire and we've mailed you a new one" Yikes!

sure enough, I checked my card and stamped into it is an expiry date, end of 01/13. Who knew bank cards expire?

I have had that card for years. What are the odds it would expire when I'm on an extended trip in South America?

We are hoping Angele will get the new card in the mail, soon, and be able to FedEx it to me here somewhere. WAPITA!

Kedgi
Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #626
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
The KLX's don't need to be registered?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #627
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
The KLX's don't need to be registered?
I'm not sure about that

Kedgi
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #628
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I'll take, "Problems I didn't need for 200 Alex"

My bank card is about to expire!

I bought the tires I needed and in order to pay for them I needed cash. I withdrew the money from my checking account using my bankcard as always. I then called home and asked Angele to put some more money in my account. when she did she saw a meesage from the bank, "You're bank card is about to expire and we've mailed you a new one" Yikes!

sure enough, I checked my card and stamped into it is an expiry date, end of 01/13. Who knew bank cards expire?

I have had that card for years. What are the odds it would expire when I'm on an extended trip in South America?

We are hoping Angele will get the new card in the mail, soon, and be able to FedEx it to me here somewhere. WAPITA!

Kedgi
Might be worth calling your bank and try to get an extension on your current card after explaining that you are traveling abroad. I know it can be done, but if they'll do it is another question. Good luck!
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #629
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cali Festival

Yesterday

I went for a walk to the Mall with John a gentleman originally from South Korea who now lives in Sweden, working for Korean Air Cargo, and on the way we passed the local MV Augusta motorcycle dealership

For those of you not familiar with MV Augusta they are an Italian motorcycle company that hand builds very beautiful motorcycles. They are something like the Ferrari of motorcycles. Their bikes are rolling works of art.

The dealer was just unloading two brand new bikes and John and I gave him and his two helpers a hand.

The MV Augusta 675 F3

Huge brakes to rein in 128 hp

Beautiful suspension

Then we unloaded this Brutale

I had to try it for size

I can only imagine what it must be like to ride these in the mountains of Colombia

In the afternoon Steve and I went to a Festival Cali has Dec 26th. There were thousands of horses and 100's of thousands of people. I never really got a good shot of horses there were so many people, 5 and 6 rows deep trying to see them. But the party was awesome. They sell big cans that shoot spray foam and everyone shoots each other with the stuff, there is lots of music, dancing, beer, betting on Guinea Pigs and just plain good fun. We had a ball!

Here is a look at a cool Jeep truck I saw this morning

This guy's been guarding our bikes. He's a wonderful big baby

And finally. This is Romi. She is one of the many friends we made here at the hostel. She's very kind and happy and I love her great Aussie accent. She took Adam to the hospital this morning for his surgery to give him moral support

Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #630
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,837
Fantasti string of pictars Dwight! Thanks for the up-date.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote