Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #50551
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Thanks for posting the great photos, Steve.

Pages 9-7 and 9-8 of the new Honda Common Service Manual describe how the automatic decompression system works.

This information is not available in the old version of the Honda Common Service Manual.

It appears the decompression cam will be held in place on the camshaft by the spring pressing it away from the camshaft. However, if the camshaft is tilted downward, the one-way roller bearing and the reverse decompression cam could fall off the end of the camshaft after the cam sprocket collar is removed.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 08:16 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #50552
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Above & Beyond

Steve, Man you are awesome! So I wasn't worried about the 3 Decompressor springs, but rather that one that slid into the cam perpendicularly with a pin too. So was it like that spring was super light tension? That last picture was gold! Looks like I have that right. I'm suspicious of that o-ring on the pump now. I definitely put it in, but it was tattered. Something's making it a tad rattly up top.

This is why I love my XRL. It's the people!

Merry Christmas fellow BRPers!

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #50553
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #50554
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Spud

+1
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #50555
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Merry Christmas

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #50556
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
MERRY CHRISTMAS one and all !!!

selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #50557
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Merry Christmas everybody!

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #50558
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,860
RZRob,

Spring #6 can become a problem when it loses it's tension. My son's bike would not start when cold and I found that the engine would rotate around to TDC with a pressurized cylinder and not be able to get past TDC due to the decom not opening the right exhaust valve. I finally replaced that little spring and the engine would start normally again. I have a buddy's bike that is doing the exact same thing and we will be replacing the spring this coming week.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #50559
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,327
Merry Christmas Yall , .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #50560
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Amen friend.... Being from Texas, isn't it All Y'all????

Merry Xmas to all!!!!!!
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #50561
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
I am considering an XRL for its off road bias . Being air cooled, is it ever an issue with heat and riding slowly or idling ? thanks , Mark
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #50562
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,423
Mine seems to run cooler at lower speeds.......perhaps my jetting is biased towards richer mixtures at lower throttle openings. Loads on the engine result in the highest temps for me. I am running dave's mods with the leanest recommended jets: 52/158 if I recall.
I have gone into the garage after a spring ride to hear the gas boiling in the gas tank (IMS 4.0)

I personally don't think additional finning or oil coolers are necessary on this bike as long as you take reasonable precautions to keep the bike cool. before I bought mine, the PO ran it 65 mph up Black Canyon hill on I17 year round and didn't frag the engine....that was with stock jetting
EsconDeasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #50563
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
RZRob,

Spring #6 can become a problem when it loses it's tension. My son's bike would not start when cold and I found that the engine would rotate around to TDC with a pressurized cylinder and not be able to get past TDC due to the decom not opening the right exhaust valve. I finally replaced that little spring and the engine would start normally again. I have a buddy's bike that is doing the exact same thing and we will be replacing the spring this coming week.

Thank you for posting the valuable information. That spring makes the decompression cam rotate counterclockwise at engine speeds less than 800 rpm, engaging the right exhaust valve. When the engine is running (with speeds greater than 800 rpm) that spring is compressed by centrifugal force, and the decompression cam rotates clockwise, disengaging from the right exhaust valve. That decompression spring costs less than $2. Therefore, I now plan to replace that spring with a new one every time I remove the camshaft for any reason.

Spud
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #50564
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #50565
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
I am considering an XRL for its off road bias . Being air cooled, is it ever an issue with heat and riding slowly or idling ? thanks , Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Mine seems to run cooler at lower speeds.......perhaps my jetting is biased towards richer mixtures at lower throttle openings. Loads on the engine result in the highest temps for me. I am running dave's mods with the leanest recommended jets: 52/158 if I recall.
I have gone into the garage after a spring ride to hear the gas boiling in the gas tank (IMS 4.0)

I personally don't think additional finning or oil coolers are necessary on this bike as long as you take reasonable precautions to keep the bike cool. before I bought mine, the PO ran it 65 mph up Black Canyon hill on I17 year round and didn't frag the engine....that was with stock jetting
Letting the engine idle, or riding slowly won't cause problems as long as engine rpms aren't high. However, riding at high rpms for extended periods of time can definitely cause problems, especially if you have removed the stock air scoops from the fuel tank.

If you ride prudently, and you don't remove the stock air scoops, you shouldn't have any problems. However, if you consistently ride the bike hard, you can definitely encounter problems. If you ride hard consistently and also remove the stock air scoops, your chances of overheating the engine increase significantly. Honda put the stock air scoops on the bike for a reason; they are very effective in lowering engine temperatures.

If you install an aftermarket fuel tank, the stock air scoops must be removed. If you remove the air scoops for any reason, and also ride the bike hard, it's prudent to consider installing an oil cooler or big-fin cylinder to compensate for the increased engine temperatures. If you install an oil dipstick thermometer on a bike with the stock fuel tank, you can document the difference in oil temperatures when the air scoops are removed, and re-installed.

Spud