Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #16
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 812
Somebody get creative and put some TKC's on one ! Hey Jessie... how about a dual sport RK? Somebody would pay good money for one of those ... Call it the "Dirt King"

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'monjello Jackson View Post
Show the King some respect would ya! run that 800+pound behemoth up shits creek a couple times and pull it out by yourself and you'll stop taking it where it has no business being.
They didn't name it Road King cause it's such a great gravel and fire roader.

There's that ADV Rider SPIRIT !!!

To the op, just get that bike out and ride it!!. Even the stock tires will handle off road duty. Your only limiting factor is the rider.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
foxtrapper OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
There's that ADV Rider SPIRIT !!!

To the op, just get that bike out and ride it!!. Even the stock tires will handle off road duty. Your only limiting factor is the rider.
Chuckle, been tobogganing it around the fields a bit already. Very docile, which is part of why I bought one. In some ways, it's easier to handle in grass than my XL500 with knobbies is.

You should have seen them at the dealership where I got seduced by the Road King. Playing with the various Harleys from an ADV rider perspective. Just standing up on the pegs/boards and such, making sure I could shift and brake that way. Made some eyes bug out. Especially out on the test ride, dancing the bike around while standing up.

Don't argue that the rider is the biggest limiting factor, as well the greatest advantage. Just sniffing around for the tire that has the best balance of pavement & dirt road riding, as opposed to just low noise or interstate highway mileage. Hard to find that info.

Looks like a toss-up between the Dunlop E3, Conti Milestone, Metzler 880, and Michelin Commander II. Just discovered those Michelins, and some of the things I've read make it seem like the dark horse unknown winner. Several very happy postings from guys who've ridden them up through Alaska for example.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHD View Post
I'm currently on a ride from London to Cape Town. Loads more pict's, but I just had to share these (and one video)

Personal Land Speed Record - Pendine Sands

White Knuckled Ride after a Light Rain - Nürburgring

One Classic Meets Another - Giza, Egypt

Stuck - Northern Kenya

Really Stuck - Northern Kenya

African Road Hazards - Maasai Mara

VIDEO LINK (click to play):

Helping along the Great Migration - Maasai Mara
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHD View Post
The only 16" dual sport knobbies I could find were Duro's - I would NOT recommend running the Duro on the rear tire - my bike, bags and I weigh more than 500kgs (over a half ton), and most of the weight is riding over the rear tire - simply put, the Duro couldn't handle the weight and started to crack/tear around each knob. I noticed the abnormal wear after one lap around the Nurburgring (I had, maybe 500 total miles on the tire). Simply put, the rear was quickly replaced with a stock Dunlop before I left Europe - although the Dunlop is terrible in mud and sand, I know it can handle the weight I'm running.

The front tire also started to crack/split around each knob, but it didn't become pronounced until a few thousand miles. I really liked the Duro in the front, way more stability in the sand and light mud and ran well for over 10k miles - after a while, I just ignored that they seem to be ripping apart... I switched the front tire yesterday (from London-Turkey, Egypt to Zambia) for a stock Dunlop (I'm anticipating way less mud on roads in Southern Africa). I'm sure I could have ridden another thousand miles on the Duro - but center knobs wore unevenly and the front tire started to vibrate/bounce at 30-45mph.

Finding replacement 16" tires that can handle the weight of a cruiser has proven impossible in Africa. Had I to do it over again, I would have switched to 17" mag rims, loads more tire options.
RoadHD as a lot of experince with this.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 90k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324

I'm really not a Harley fan, but this pic is just awesome. Very Indiana Jones-esque. I have lots of friends with Harleys - some might even have over 2000 miles on them . I think I'll print RoadHD's pics out and place them on their desks.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post

I'm really not a Harley fan, but this pic is just awesome. Very Indiana Jones-esque. I have lots of friends with Harleys - some might even have over 2000 miles on them . I think I'll print RoadHD's pics out and place them on their desks.
Then you should share this:
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/index.shtml
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 90k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
Old 12-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #22
whitedelight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Cape Town

Hey Eric let us know when you are inw Cape Town, would be cool to hook up.
2005 vrcsa VRod
2006 DRZ400SM
whitedelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Chuckle, been tobogganing it around the fields a bit already. Very docile, which is part of why I bought one. In some ways, it's easier to handle in grass than my XL500 with knobbies is.

You should have seen them at the dealership where I got seduced by the Road King. Playing with the various Harleys from an ADV rider perspective. Just standing up on the pegs/boards and such, making sure I could shift and brake that way. Made some eyes bug out. Especially out on the test ride, dancing the bike around while standing up.

Don't argue that the rider is the biggest limiting factor, as well the greatest advantage. Just sniffing around for the tire that has the best balance of pavement & dirt road riding, as opposed to just low noise or interstate highway mileage. Hard to find that info.

Looks like a toss-up between the Dunlop E3, Conti Milestone, Metzler 880, and Michelin Commander II. Just discovered those Michelins, and some of the things I've read make it seem like the dark horse unknown winner. Several very happy postings from guys who've ridden them up through Alaska for example.

I know what you mean about the looks at the Hd dealer! Should have seen the looks when asking about raising the bike a couple of inches and when I commented that I would love a light weight exhaust if someone had one that was as quiet as stock.

I also got some funny looks when my daughter and I rode 30 miles through a wildlife management area 2 up as well as when I was jumping it over a hill and doing sideways slides through corners on a dirt road in front of a buddies house.

I had the ME880s and they were great for the first 11k miles. One thing that was weird was that when they were nearing the end of their life they began to slip something fierce in the rain. I rode the Dunlops down to nothing and they never exhibited that characteristic. I am now riding the Commander IIs and so far so good. I have put about 6k on them and they look new. They seem to do fine on dirt/gravel (they seem to shed mud pretty well also) and are very nice on pavement. Zero complaints so far.

My dad lives in AK and has ridden the Dempster on a fully loaded Sporty with the stock Dunlops. He was 70 when he did that trip. I'm sure that with a little practice you would be fine.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #24
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
+1 on Dunlop Elite 3s..long lasting tire and I have been on reasonable gravel and dirt roads with my Road Glide..it's not going to go the same places as even a KLR but it's doable.

nskitts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le'monjello Jackson View Post
Show the King some respect would ya! run that 800+pound behemoth up shits creek a couple times and pull it out by yourself and you'll stop taking it where it has no business being.
They didn't name it Road King cause it's such a great gravel and fire roader.
Lol
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedelight View Post
Hey Eric let us know when you are inw Cape Town, would be cool to hook up.

I wish it was me and thanks for the offer, "RoadHD" is the memeber here who travels byt Road King, here is his profile.

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=155840
Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I have no problem with you guys off-roading tourers if ya want but I live on a gravel driveway and have gotten rocks in the belt a couple times. That can leave a in the middle of nowhere. Just say'n, belts aren't for off road.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Oldhippie, How many belts have you lost do to rocks? I run lots of gravel roads & have never lost one. I preemptively replaced the belt on my wife's 89 Electra Glide Sport at over 100k. At least 10k of that was on gravel. Just lucky I guess.

Merry Christmas

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote