Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #316
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dan View Post
It wasn't for me either Tim_Tom. I should warn you, the engine braking is also fairly severe. Between that and the throttle it can make for a jarring ride. Of course once you've had the bike for some time you adapt to the throttle and understand how to use it better and the strong engine braking has it's benefits as well.
Cool I can save money on brake pads then!

Speaking of brakes, anyone have any feedback / ideas about how the ABS functions on the new 2013's? It could mean a $1500-2000 difference between a softly used 2012 and a new 2013 ABS. I know the Euro models have had ABS for some time so it would be cool if someone over there had some feedback on the system.

Anyone have any thoughts? Will ABS be worth the extra coin or better to spend that extra money on some farkles (that I'd want anyway) like frame sliders and soft bags?

I can't find too much about them, and have never ridden an ABS bike before, and there are plenty of opinions about ABS...
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #317
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post

Speaking of brakes, anyone have any feedback / ideas about how the ABS functions on the new 2013's? It could mean a $1500-2000 difference between a softly used 2012 and a new 2013 ABS. I know the Euro models have had ABS for some time so it would be cool if someone over there had some feedback on the system.

Anyone have any thoughts? Will ABS be worth the extra coin or better to spend that extra money on some farkles (that I'd want anyway) like frame sliders and soft bags?

I can't find too much about them, and have never ridden an ABS bike before, and there are plenty of opinions about ABS...
ABS is nice when you have it, but I'd rather spend that money on the frame sliders and luggage if I were in the same position. You can get a lot of stuff for $2000. That's easily a Corbin seat + ST windshield + bar risers if you wanted to go the touring route. It's also a lot of performance mods if you wanted to make it a track friendly machine. ABS is awesome, but I don't know if it's worth $2000.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #318
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
I just ordered a set of bar riser. I'll give a report once I have installed them.

1" up and back.

Next paycheck will be the peg lowering blocks. Down 1.3".
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #319
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,853
I'll chime in on the comfort of the 12 Ninja 650's stock seat as well. Put a couple hundred miles on one and it is by far the most comfortable sporty bike seat I have ever sat on. Felt even better than my K1200LT if you can believe that.

I'm 6' 180 and it fit me perfect.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #320
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
It wasn't for me either Tim_Tom. I should warn you, the engine braking is also fairly severe. Between that and the throttle it can make for a jarring ride. Of course once you've had the bike for some time you adapt to the throttle and understand how to use it better and the strong engine braking has it's benefits as well.

I know I sound a bit negative in those comments but believe me, the good far out weighs the bad for the current Ninja 650.

Cortez, I see you have the Downtown 300i maxi scoot. That is a very nice bike, KYMCO makes some of the best machines around.
Amen to that.

The engine braking is also a good point, I've locked up the rear wheel on
my first ride at least 3 times, just letting go of the throttle in 2nd gear.
I was NOT expecting that.

But I've had more issues with the surging and the reaction to throttle when
opening it up, even when clutching it a bit.

I used my bike as an all-rounder, commute, shopping, joy rides, 2 up, it
needed to do it all, and for that, it wasn't a good choice IMHO.

The Downtown, however, is.. and I can still do 80mph corners at 80mph
just like I did on the Kawi, the suspension and brakes can take it, I just
miss that 72hp engine.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #321
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post

Asking about ABS is probably not a good idea.
You'll have to go out and ride an ABS equipped bike for yourself.

Mine had ABS, I have it on my scooter too.
That should say plenty.

I've had that thing engage one a week at a minimum around town where
the road surface is like glass.

Needed it maybe once or twice on open roads where I'm sure I would have
crashed waaay before riding up to the reason of the hard braking just from
locking up the front.

This is at 23.000 miles.

Brake pads?
I had about 40% of the pads left when I sold the bike, again, at 23k miles.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #322
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
ABS is nice when you have it, but I'd rather spend that money on the frame sliders and luggage if I were in the same position. You can get a lot of stuff for $2000. That's easily a Corbin seat + ST windshield + bar risers if you wanted to go the touring route. It's also a lot of performance mods if you wanted to make it a track friendly machine. ABS is awesome, but I don't know if it's worth $2000.
One front end skid + drop on the side should cost just about $2000.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #323
Ninja Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Amen to that.

The engine braking is also a good point, I've locked up the rear wheel on
my first ride at least 3 times, just letting go of the throttle in 2nd gear.
I was NOT expecting that.

But I've had more issues with the surging and the reaction to throttle when
opening it up, even when clutching it a bit.

I used my bike as an all-rounder, commute, shopping, joy rides, 2 up, it
needed to do it all, and for that, it wasn't a good choice IMHO.

The Downtown, however, is.. and I can still do 80mph corners at 80mph
just like I did on the Kawi, the suspension and brakes can take it, I just
miss that 72hp engine.
A couple of items, I agree the engine braking is strong and will surprise a person new to the bike but my Ninja throttle has never surged. It's quite steady, just touchy. If you had an older model maybe that was problematic with them or you had a bike in need of repair.

Maxi-scoots are great, the two biggest flaws that is endemic with the lot of them is cheap suspension and cvt lag. The TMax overcomes both of these somewhat but even the best scooter suspension is no better than the worst entry level motorcycle.

Also, the Ninja doesn't have a 72hp motor, at least not the one I own. Closer to 64hp which is still more potent than all scooters.

Finally, I agree with Cortez, ABS is a great option to have. You hardly ever need it but the one time it saves your bacon it's worth every penny.
Ninja Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #324
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
A couple of items, I agree the engine braking is strong and will surprise a person new to the bike but my Ninja throttle has never surged. It's quite steady, just touchy. If you had an older model maybe that was problematic with them or you had a bike in need of repair.

Maxi-scoots are great, the two biggest flaws that is endemic with the lot of them is cheap suspension and cvt lag. The TMax overcomes both of these somewhat but even the best scooter suspension is no better than the worst entry level motorcycle.

Also, the Ninja doesn't have a 72hp motor, at least not the one I own. Closer to 64hp which is still more potent than all scooters.

Finally, I agree with Cortez, ABS is a great option to have. You hardly ever need it but the one time it saves your bacon it's worth every penny.
Yeah, mine was the first gen 650R, and it was my first bike back then
(2007), so no surprise about the engine braking. I had a couple of rides
on a ZX6R (2004 636) before taking delivery of my bike to get used to
a bike with some power, but the 650R ended up being way more dangerous
for a novice, as long as you kept the ZX6R at low revs that is.

Surging on mine was never fixed, and it was tried many times.
Cleaning up the injectors, throttle body sync, new chain, endless stuff.
It wasn't very bad, but that's the thing I'm most sensitive about on a bike.

Cheap suspension is right, but it's no worse on my scoot now then it
was on the 650R actually, but the scooter is harsher.

CVT problems are easy to fix.

Dr Pulley sliders do wonders.
Aftermarket CVTs do wonders too.
I actually use both.

It'll get up to 60mph almost as fast as a NC700X.

And ABS ftw, I wouldn't buy a bike without one again.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #325
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
I've had that thing engage one a week at a minimum around town where
the road surface is like glass.
Uhh, that's weird..Ive been riding longer than most here have been alive, and Ive never been down once..ever.
And no abs..just lucky I guess, or I learned to ride early.
Can you put yourself in a position to where it might make a difference? Sure..people do dumb stuff all the time.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #326
Ninja Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I had a bike with ABS, rode it for three years and put around 21,000 miles on it. Only once for sure did the ABS kick in and it was because I wasn't paying attention to the road in front of me, when I turned my head back around the traffic had stopped and I hauled the bike down jamming on the brakes. The nose dove a little but the bike stopped straight and true. This was my first bike and my first season riding, glad I had the ABS that day. Don't know if I would have stopped the bike in time without it.

Every bike I've owned since then has been without ABS. For what it's worth, I haven't been down on any of my bikes either and hopefully won't. All things being equal I would prefer ABS on my bike but I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor.
Ninja Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #327
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Finally put on the bar risers. Took about 5 minutes.

Very nice. Much more relaxed position. Rotated me back so I sit more on the back part of my butt instead of the back o my thighs.

Next couple of weeks ill get the peg lowering kit.

Then to decide between custom mounting a Givi set or just going with the SW-Motech Blaze setup.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #328
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 290
Almost a month since last post, should be a few more '12's and '13's around.
I'm in!
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #329
andrew.alternate
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Don't have a pic, but I just picked up a 2012 650R yesterday. Amazing bike so far- but then again I'm coming off a cbr250, and have only ridden it for about 25 miles, so take that as you will.
andrew.alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #330
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.alternate View Post
Don't have a pic, but I just picked up a 2012 650R yesterday.
We're not buyin' it.