User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #5311
volkoff
n00b

Oddometer: 5
dirt wheels, street wheels what chain length

Hello, I am currently running a set of dirt wheels with 14/45 gearing and a stock 108 link chain. I just picked up a 2nd set of wheels that will get maybe some Shinko 700's or 705's. My plan is to run 16/40 with these wheels for the days I feel like going 65mph for a couple hours and not reving the engine to the moon. I want to keep the stock 108 link chain so that it is a very simple wheel and counter shaft sprocket switch. So I am asking if anybody else runs a 2nd set of road wheels with taller gearing and what size sprockets you use. I am not ruling out a 42 or 43 in the rear but I already have the 16.
Thank you
volkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #5312
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesteryeong View Post
I am going to revisit a thread about installing HID on the XR400. I have a set of 35W H/L HID for motorbike. I wish to have it installed. I have a DC voltage regulator. but a, unsure what I need to do to make the HID work. I have a small 12V battery on hand (3.7Ah), large size capacitor (can't recall what is the rating). I tried wiring it up before to the DC regulator and it would die off at idle as I believe the stator could not handle the voltage spiking. Anyone has got success in similar installation?

RideFreak is right of course, but you do not have the US XR400 model. The wiring on the pics is similar to the Euro models maybe you have that one. If so you have a little more power to play with as the Euro models have both DC and AC (extra winding/coils on the stator for DC. The USA models dont have it.)

3.7 Ah battery is not that small, the HID light should not die right away when the bike idles.

As far as I can see from the pics you have wired the light the wrong way. I think you need the green and black wires, but check for polarity.

Aslo if you have been experimenting with the battery, and connected it the wrong way you may have damaged it. Do not assume it is OK when you troubleshoot.

G600 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 07:57 AM
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #5313
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkoff View Post
Hello, I am currently running a set of dirt wheels with 14/45 gearing and a stock 108 link chain. I just picked up a 2nd set of wheels that will get maybe some Shinko 700's or 705's. My plan is to run 16/40 with these wheels for the days I feel like going 65mph for a couple hours and not reving the engine to the moon. I want to keep the stock 108 link chain so that it is a very simple wheel and counter shaft sprocket switch. So I am asking if anybody else runs a 2nd set of road wheels with taller gearing and what size sprockets you use. I am not ruling out a 42 or 43 in the rear but I already have the 16.
Thank you
I'm not sure about the countershaft sprocket, but as a general rule of thumb, changing one tooth on the rear sprocket moves the axle 4mm fore or aft. Adding or removing a chain link moves the axle 14mm. Hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #5314
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 28,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesteryeong View Post
I am going to revisit a thread about installing HID on the XR400. I have a set of 35W H/L HID for motorbike. I wish to have it installed. I have a DC voltage regulator. but a, unsure what I need to do to make the HID work. I have a small 12V battery on hand (3.7Ah), large size capacitor (can't recall what is the rating). I tried wiring it up before to the DC regulator and it would die off at idle as I believe the stator could not handle the voltage spiking. Anyone has got success in similar installation?

quoted just to see if I could STACK the pix insted of stretching them sideways!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #5315
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
RideFreak is right of course, but you do not have the US XR400 model. The wiring on the pics is similar to the Euro models maybe you have that one. If so you have a little more power to play with as the Euro models have both DC and AC (extra winding/coils on the stator for DC. The USA models dont have it.)

3.7 Ah battery is not that small, the HID light should not die right away when the bike idles.

As far as I can see from the pics you have wired the light the wrong way. I think you need the green and black wires, but check for polarity.

Aslo if you have been experimenting with the battery, and connected it the wrong way you may have damaged it. Do not assume it is OK when you troubleshoot.
Duh I just noticed the wierd license plate on the front fender, all bets are off, it's different beast.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #5316
Stretch67
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 4,061
Whew! I finished reading the whole thread. It took me a bit more than two weeks, taking time out for meals of course.

I'm still waiting on the CRF cam chain, the carb is soaking in Pine-Sol, and I ground down the header welds this afternoon. I'll wrap the header tomorrow. Some folks will disagree with wrapped headers, but I experienced a nasty second-degree burn in my youth from having an unwrapped pipe lay on my leg after a fall. Yes, I was wearing shorts.

It's good to survive one's youth.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #5317
cdriscollmeir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Tribute

It was a painful decision, but just sold my xr4. Thought she deserved a little tribute however cheesy it may be. . .

2003 XR650L
cdriscollmeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #5318
Rman237
Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdriscollmeir View Post
It was a painful decision, but just sold my xr4. Thought she deserved a little tribute however cheesy it may be. . .

Rman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #5319
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Whew! I finished reading the whole thread. It took me a bit more than two weeks, taking time out for meals of course.

I'm still waiting on the CRF cam chain, the carb is soaking in Pine-Sol, and I ground down the header welds this afternoon. I'll wrap the header tomorrow. Some folks will disagree with wrapped headers, but I experienced a nasty second-degree burn in my youth from having an unwrapped pipe lay on my leg after a fall. Yes, I was wearing shorts.

It's good to survive one's youth.
Did the same thingabout five yrs ago, just brushed up against the headpipes one afternoon. Would never heal and turned into a bad skin cancer and required removing a large chunk of my calf.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #5320
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdriscollmeir View Post

That was,,,,wait, gotta get a tissue,,,,,,,that was just awesome!!! Dumped her for a Swedish blonde, you heartless, cruel bastard!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #5321
Stretch67
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Did the same thingabout five yrs ago, just brushed up against the headpipes one afternoon. Would never heal and turned into a bad skin cancer and required removing a large chunk of my calf.
Dammit! All the more reason, especially with the history of cancer in my family.

It's done. Need to brush on a few coats of high-temp stove paint to seal it up a bit so the mud doesn't completely soak into it.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #5322
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Stator

Anyone know if the XR400 and XR650R stators are the same. They look very similar.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #5323
Brewster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Anyone know if the XR400 and XR650R stators are the same. They look very similar.
They DO have different part numbers.

Cheers,
Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #5324
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Answered my own question, looks like they are exactly the same with the exception of minor differences in the wiring. The pigtail is longer on the 650R's stator and the AC coil leads are male connectors. Easy fix.

The 400 is getting a refirb over the winter. VG seals were shot so I did the topend, went through the rest of the bike, greased everything. I'm getting readt to revalve/respring the forks and add a few watts to the electrical system.

Amazing what some plastics will do.

Engine sidecovers are at the powder coaters.

We have a 3 day 450mi offroad ride coming up in May, it circles Canyonlands NP which is pretty much the middle of BFE around here. I'm planning on taking the XR4, great mileage, uber reliable.

RideFreak screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 07:09 PM
Old 12-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #5325
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,619
fork springs

Anyone have a set of stock fork springs laying around?

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote