Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,326
Christmas Dilemma: Keep the Hero 3 Silver or the Contour +2?

As the headline says, I got a Hero 3 Silver and a Contour +2 for Christmas. They've both got replaceable batteries, a variety of mounts, and are usually first and second in any review of action cams. I like the LaserLevel option on the Contour +2, which means you can mount it any position, vs, the Hero's 180 degree rightside up/upside down options.
So: keep the Hero, keep the Contour, or trade them in and get a Hero 3 Black?

Main use will be moto adventuring, some shooting matches (think helo stages), stuff like that.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Gopro wins just about every shootout, so there's that. The black edition is worth it if you're actually going youse the extra resolution/frame rates. The silver is basically a smaller hero2... Tough to advise without knowing if you intend to do a lot of editing, or just shoot and upload. If you intend to do a lot of post production editing, the black would be a good idea. The only time I use my contour instead of my gopros is for mounting to the side of my helmet- the gopro video quality wins hands down. Better in-camera metering too.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,052
GoPro is like an iPhone, you're not cool unless you upgrade every six months. Keep the contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Sell Both and get a Black

Sell both and get a black edition.

Contour's seem to have a cult following- people love them but I can't understand why and I own one. the mounts are overpriced, the microphones are sorry and only produce wind noise. GoPro's are the standard and do most things well. Contour is always 2nd and does a few things well.

Either way, you are a lucky man!
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,893
For me, it's all about the big switch.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm360mx View Post
Sell both and get a black edition.

Contour's seem to have a cult following- people love them but I can't understand why and I own one. the mounts are overpriced, the microphones are sorry and only produce wind noise. GoPro's are the standard and do most things well. Contour is always 2nd and does a few things well.

Either way, you are a lucky man!
Simple really, I know when the Contour is on and off. While the Hero has better IQ, doesn't do me much good when the thing didn't end up recording.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
rgb2cmyk
Dirt(y) Neophyte

Oddometer: 221
Can't speak of the other two, but Santa brought me a hero 3 black and it's fantastic.

Friend of mine has the contour 2+ and I have lots of footage from him and this black is great. I also like that I can frame and control settings via the iPhone app which always mounted in my handle bars
06 Husky TE450
04 R1100s BCR
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,326
Obvious pros & cons so far:

The Contour: Took about five minutes to download the app that lets you see through the camera and pair it to my iPhone4, works fine.

GoPro: After you open the box, you have to update the firmware, which was a pain in the ass. I did it twice according to the directions ("Transfer the file to the root directory of the SD card." WTF does that mean? How do you do it?) After being annoyed with that for a while, I googled the right way to do it. Got the app downloaded, but get "Preview Not Supported" which pops up all over the web as a known issue. After a couple more hours of fiddlefarting and bad words, I shut the camera off, pulled the battery, waited a minute, then reinstalled it and turnd the camera on. Still no preview supported. Deleted/reinstalled the app, still no preview.
Wandered the web some more, and found that the preview will work in WiFi but not BlueTooth. Preview/Playback is a bit jerky and has about a three-second delay, and loops- you hear what you are saying two or three times.
I'm sick, and it's 23 degrees outside and the bikes are put away for the winter, so I'll wait a bit to go play with both of them.

But if you're not a computer guy/gal, be prepared to say bad words and be frustrated before you can even use the GoPro. It's beyond me why they would ship a camera packed with a slip that says "Firmware update required before using camera." If I'm getting a beta version, it oughta be cheaper.

191f1an

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

One additional thought on this....for many, myself included, much research and agonizing goes into researching and choosing the camera. But, the editing software is at least as important, maybe more. The best videos are the ones with correct lighting and a good final cut.

FWIW it does look like GoPro will eventually leave the others behind.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
One additional thought on this....for many, myself included, much research and agonizing goes into researching and choosing the camera. But, the editing software is at least as important, maybe more. The best videos are the ones with correct lighting and a good final cut.

FWIW it does look like GoPro will eventually leave the others behind.

BP
I've used iMovie and Windows LMM. I've got a copy of Final Cut Pro bit haven't even attempted to try it yet.

What do you like for an editor?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
There's little doubt in my mind that the GP has better IQ, but I can't use it with the regularity I employ the Contour (a Plus in my case). The form factor of the Contour is so far superior to GoPros package that it is what I use attached to my helmet. I wish the native color was warmer, but other than that, it is much less intrusive as a "riding companion." Also much easier to switch on and off. So for me, it came down to form and user interface, and the Contour is simply a better package for the way I use it. I avoid all the mounting issues (yeah, Contour's accessories are over-priced) by just using the supplied flat mounts on my helmet....so no extra money spent on those to this point.

When GoPro addresses their ungainly form and user interface issues, they will be the leader. Until then, I had to chose between image quality and ease of use, and ease of use won out. I should add that the Contour is not at all bad; just that the color is too cold. I keep it simple, and that's where the Contour has advantages. Blue tooth pairing with I-phone works fine, I could give a rip about the GPS feature, but maybe some people like that, which is another Contour Plus (or +2) benefit. The cold color can be addressed in post, I guess, but it's my biggest gripe.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've used iMovie and Windows LMM. I've got a copy of Final Cut Pro bit haven't even attempted to try it yet.

What do you like for an editor?
I am using Premier Elements. Not that intuitive or easy to use. I work well with Illustrator and Photoshop, but struggle with Premier. Adobe does their best to make each different, and a PITA.

Have not tried iMovie but by all accounts it is great.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR