Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #4171
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post
I'm about to test Multistrada's off road capabilities - heading out for 5 day Baja exploration. My friend is riding R1200GS, he thinks Multi will be the limiting factor. I will try to prove him wrong. I think it's all about the rider
Good luck; hope you both have an excellent time.

What tires will you be using? I just received my Conti TKC-80s for the MTS yesterday (haven't mounted 'em yet); they seem like just the thing for Baja.

--Doc

PS. Yes, it is all about the rider. I'm trying to subliminally listen to Gaston Rahier tapes while I sleep...
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #4172
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
TKC 80's would seem to be the ticket, although I haven't tried them

I've found the multi reasonably capable off pavement, should be even better with the knobbies

This is what I've gleaned from my experience - I like the enduro mode, but turn off the dtc and abs

Take the rubber out of the foot pegs (better yet, get different ones)

Don't use the hard bags, go with any other version of soft luggage or duffle bags - the bags themselves are pretty durable, but the plastic mounting bits will break pretty easily

Weak spots - rear brake on steep descents, I've found I can lock up the brake, but not while keeping my feet on the pegs, so I have to basically stand on the brake peddle, which is small, so that is awkward

The 17 inch front is a bit of a dog in soft stuff, but a knobby should improve that. I've learned that sometimes its better to just go slow and paddle it through the soft stuff, as opposed to treating it more like a dirt bike (lean back, gas, and light on the bars) once this thing starts tracking wrong, it's hard for me to get it back on track - this has got me into a bit of trouble

This thing will rattle itself to death on washboard so periodically check the various fasteners

Have fun
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #4173
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,489
I've got a short in my right rear turn signal circuit. I swapped the leads from the left & right rear turn signals to make sure that the everything in the tail light/license plate assembly was good. It was. Now where do I look?

Good grief, I hope it's not buried in the wiring harness.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #4174
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I believe his MTS has the stock Pirellis.
I was supposed to be a part of that group but had a change of plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Good luck; hope you both have an excellent time.

What tires will you be using? I just received my Conti TKC-80s for the MTS yesterday (haven't mounted 'em yet); they seem like just the thing for Baja.

--Doc

PS. Yes, it is all about the rider. I'm trying to subliminally listen to Gaston Rahier tapes while I sleep...

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #4175
FV 72
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Base multisrata

New here and have been looking to change from my k1200 GT. I have tested both Triumph Tiger's but have also looked at the Multistrata. The high line Multi is a bit of a financial stretch but I really like the weight of the Multi. Any real world comparisons between the two Multi's?

Thanks
SteveO

FV 72 screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 03:03 AM Reason: Brain not completely engaged.
FV 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #4176
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by FV 72 View Post
Any real world comparisons between the two Multi's?
O
Performance wise ? No I don't think so. Just the farkles. Most of which can be added later.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #4177
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
New here and have been looking to change from my k1200 GT. I have tested both Triumph Trophy's but have also looked at the Multistrata. The high line Multi is a bit of a financial stretch but I really like the weight of the Multi. Any real world comparisons between the two Multi's?

Thanks
SteveO
FWIW, I've had a 2004 and 2006 K1200GT, currently riding a 2012 multistrada 1200. Just a better way to sport tour IMO. Love the lightness, the power, and the ergos are no worse for me than my GTs, that is to say they are excellent.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #4178
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
New here and have been looking to change from my k1200 GT. I have tested both Triumph Trophy's but have also looked at the Multistrata. The high line Multi is a bit of a financial stretch but I really like the weight of the Multi. Any real world comparisons between the two Multi's?

Thanks
SteveO
the suspension is the major difference and worthy of consideration. a test ride along with your actual riding characteristics will tell you whether or not you want to pay for up-market Ohlins DES kit.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #4179
FV 72
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks to all for the info. A test ride is.in the making if they have a base Multi.
FV 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #4180
andyw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Season's greetings....

Have a great day everyone.....

www.MTS1200.info/xmas ...........wait a mo..........switch ;-)

:aidan

Hope you all have a great Christmas and a safe, happy and healthy 2013...
Andy
http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk

andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #4181
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Thanks Andy. I am sure you have heard this before already. But I will say it again nevertheless. The wealth and the usefullness of MTS1200 resources on your website rock. I am sure I speak for most if not all of the MTS1200 owners here when I say that we are grateful to you for having all that in one goto place on the web.

Just please make sure your website backups are frequent and your webhosting is reliable. That's all we ask

Happy Holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw View Post
Have a great day everyone.....

www.MTS1200.info/xmas ...........wait a mo..........switch ;-)

:aidan

Hope you all have a great Christmas and a safe, happy and healthy 2013...
Andy
http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #4182
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 429
Heated Grip Performance

How do the heated grips on the MS work compared to those on the BMW F650/800GS? I use the Beemer for comparison because I had one and loved the heat output of those factory grips. I do a lot of very cold riding so this is a very important issue for me.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #4183
MitchG
Iron Collector

TKC80s

Has anyone mounted TKC80s yet and if so what sizes did you use?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #4184
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
How do the heated grips on the MS work compared to those on the BMW F650/800GS? I use the Beemer for comparison because I had one and loved the heat output of those factory grips. I do a lot of very cold riding so this is a very important issue for me.
The MTS grips get noticably hotter than the ones on my previous bike, a 2009 BMW 1200 RT. They also have three rather than two settings. Nice setup. That said, the wind protection afforded by the MTS hand guards helps but probably won't prevent your hand tops and thumbs from getting cold. I rode for about an hour in 39 deg F weather with lighter Tourmaster gloves and my hands were frosty. You'll still need winter gloves, or heated.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #4185
MitchG
Iron Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
The MTS grips get noticeably hotter than the ones on my previous bike, a 2009 BMW 1200 RT. They also have three rather than two settings. Nice setup. That said, the wind protection afforded by the MTS hand guards helps but probably won't prevent your hand tops and thumbs from getting cold. I rode for about an hour in 39 deg F weather with lighter Tourmaster gloves and my hands were frosty. You'll still need winter gloves, or heated.
Thanks! Thats what I was hoping to hear. Like I said, I run in very cold conditions but with good heated grips, summer gloves and Hippo Hands(to break the wind and hold the heat in), all is good. The reason I asked is I need to do a retrofit as this current bike does not have heated grips. Thanks again.