User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #3751
hvman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
HRS to Rebuild

Any estimates of how many hrs you can get till engine rebuild with proper care on a 530? thanks
hvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #3752
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
350+hrs of hard riding with nothing more than regular maintenance is not uncommon.
jesusgatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #3753
braymond
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteHunter View Post
Thanks for the pic. I'm doing something similar on my 530. I was hoping the Voyager would mount to the HDB top clamp.

Did you have any issues with mounting? Clearance with light ok?

Thanks in advance!

I had to make a bracket that attatched to the two mounting holes on top of the HDB top plate. Clears the light just fine, only problem is with the front brake lines. Had to zip tie them out of the way because they tend to hit the voager changing the screen when riding. Check out the link for the photo.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...ps675f3e3f.jpg
braymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #3754
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,021
anyone else want to chime in on longevity of the 530 motor? I am looking at buying a 08 with 4400 miles on it and had heard about oil pumps going out and/or needing replaced. I don't mind replaceing an oil pump just want to know what i am in for.

Thanks,
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #3755
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
anyone else want to chime in on longevity of the 530 motor? I am looking at buying a 08 with 4400 miles on it and had heard about oil pumps going out and/or needing replaced. I don't mind replaceing an oil pump just want to know what i am in for.

Thanks,
Some early 08's had oil useage due to rings not seating/wearing,some had oil transfer issues from crankcase to transmission,KTM is supposed to have fixed these issues as 08 production went along.
I havent heard of oil pumps quitting,maybe someone else will chime in.
I would think if an 08 had either of these problems they would have been addressed by now,doesnt hurt to ask.
They are FUN bikes! They last way longer being used as dualsport bikes then they would being screamed wide open by a racer.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #3756
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:

Thanks,
Here is the guide on the oil pump cover update. If you google all of the part numbers (really easy, here's a sample of one cover), you'll find it's not exactly a spendy job. 2008 bikes aren't always a problem, you just hear about the ones that are. There is a thread on KTMtalk asking the same longevity question, and it's rather surprising how many owners of '08s check in with high time/ little to no problems. My friend's bike has 230 hours, still has the backwards ADC on the cam, not one cover on the cases opened, but did get a much needed Dirt Tricks cam chain tensioner a few days ago.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #3757
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,317
Quote:

Thanks,
I have an '08 450 that has a couple of issues I'm working through. That said, the issues can be fixed and these bikes are a total blast to ride. I'd get a later year bike if possible as they're less likely to have issues, but I'd buy mine again even with it's issues.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #3758
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:

Thanks,
I think everyone has pretty much filled you in on the '08 issues. They are all fixable and known issues. If possible, get an '09 or newer 530. The 530 motors are solid, but the '08's had the most 'issues'. I have an '08 530 and have done all the corrections needed. Has over 6k miles and no problems. '09's have better suspension right out of the box in my opinion. You've come to the right place for answers. Lots of good info in this thread from the beginning on. Good luck on the new purchase. :)
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #3759
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,686
I found a real low hours 2011 530 and I wouldnt mess around with the stock suspension,Im 185 lbs and it works better then any stock bike Ive tried,havent even adjusted fork or shock. Its just smooth and likes to go fast or slow.
I jetted the carb,put on a FMF Q muffler and it rails along as fast as one wants to go.
I think the newer the KTM,the better,for any of their models. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Im a Luddite in that I like the carb'ed 2011 just fine,easy to keep going and simpler if it does have an issue out in the Nevada desert somewheres. Keihin spent many years getting those carbs to work this good.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #3760
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
I have a possibly dumb question but what is the hose coming from the frame on the right side of the bike somewhat near/below the radiator? It's leaking from around where the hose connects to the joint, I looked it up on the OEM parts but it just says CV Hose and not specifically what hose. I haven't taken the tank off to get a better look to see if it's rad fluid or oil or what, it's not a major leak it just has a slight leak after a long ride. I'd really appreciate a response before I end up taking the tank off and everything because I'm waiting on my KTM High Flow water pump propeller kit and coolant recovery kit to get here. Merry Christmas!
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #3761
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
I have a possibly dumb question but what is the hose coming from the frame on the right side of the bike somewhat near/below the radiator? It's leaking from around where the hose connects to the joint, I looked it up on the OEM parts but it just says CV Hose and not specifically what hose. I haven't taken the tank off to get a better look to see if it's rad fluid or oil or what, it's not a major leak it just has a slight leak after a long ride. I'd really appreciate a response before I end up taking the tank off and everything because I'm waiting on my KTM High Flow water pump propeller kit and coolant recovery kit to get here. Merry Christmas!
Sounds like it might be the radiator over flow. Check the hose coming from the top of the radiator near the fill cap and see if that is going to the frame. If so, it'll leak there and dump the water down the inside of the frame to the header pipe. I'd recommend putting an overflow coolant recovery bottle in the air box. I believe C.R.T. makes one for about $30 or you can make your own.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #3762
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
I appreciate it Trailjammer, it is a hose coming from the fram but the end is running up toward the radiator but not connected, I'm unsure if it's been unconnected since I got my bike or if recently came unconnected. Anyhow, I got the Coolant recovery kit ordered with my KTM High Flow water impeller upgrade kit as well as a new water seal incase the one in it is in backwards because I've had very few, but still a few, leaks from the weephole out riding. I'm ready to get all my Christmas goodies installed and then focus on getting some more bling bling for my bike I love this XC4 engine.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #3763
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
I appreciate it Trailjammer, it is a hose coming from the fram but the end is running up toward the radiator but not connected, I'm unsure if it's been unconnected since I got my bike or if recently came unconnected. Anyhow, I got the Coolant recovery kit ordered with my KTM High Flow water impeller upgrade kit as well as a new water seal incase the one in it is in backwards because I've had very few, but still a few, leaks from the weephole out riding. I'm ready to get all my Christmas goodies installed and then focus on getting some more bling bling for my bike I love this XC4 engine.
That connection is usually connected to the smog stuff. If you or the previous owner de-smogged it, there's nothing connected to it. Some people connect their gas cap vent to it...
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #3764
treestrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
09 530xcw

Hi, Folks
I just finished reading the entire thread and a big thanks to everybody for all the great info!

I'm in the process of removing the valve cover and tranny vent from the carb and routing to the top of the frame and have read were there is and inline filter or vent?
Can someone clear this up, a pic or part # would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help

RH
treestrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #3765
biopig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by treestrom View Post
Hi, Folks
I just finished reading the entire thread and a big thanks to everybody for all the great info!

I'm in the process of removing the valve cover and tranny vent from the carb and routing to the top of the frame and have read were there is and inline filter or vent?
Can someone clear this up, a pic or part # would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help

RH
Try this part number Uni Filter UP-123, I believe its the same one I used.
biopig is offline   Reply With Quote