User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #31
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Some aftermarket parts added

Just recently added an Aprilia OEM 35L Top Case and backrest, Arpilia Bar End Weights, and a Puig City Touring Windsreen

GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #32
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
puig screen

Greyhound, can I assume based on the new pics that the puig screen does not interfere with the US turn signals? I see where even the AF1 website states there may be interference with the US model turn signals. I was recently considering a SC250, but the lack of good fitting windscreens sort of changed my mind. I like a tall full windscreen and the Slipstreamer Scoot models seem to be the only ones available and I don't think they are rated for high speed work. If the puig sends the airflow to the top of my helmet (5'10") I would probably ok with it. The puig is a good looking screen.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #33
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
Greyhound, can I assume based on the new pics that the puig screen does not interfere with the US turn signals? I see where even the AF1 website states there may be interference with the US model turn signals. I was recently considering a SC250, but the lack of good fitting windscreens sort of changed my mind. I like a tall full windscreen and the Slipstreamer Scoot models seem to be the only ones available and I don't think they are rated for high speed work. If the puig sends the airflow to the top of my helmet (5'10") I would probably ok with it. The puig is a good looking screen.
correct no interference with turn signals the AF1 site seems a bit misleading I guess they are just trying to cover their ass.

I have that exact screen but for me at 6' the wind noise is a direct hit on my ears making a driving experience less windy over all but louder overall as well and I like to keep my hearing. That said I think a laminar lip might work to get a little extra hieght.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #34
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree 100% about the noise. Less windy overall, but there is more noise. I'm 6'1" and I do where a full face helmet. To be honest, the noise doesn't really kick in until about 50mph.

Question: If I adjust the angle and or height of the screen, will that affect wind noise? I'll try to play around some more with it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #35
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
I agree 100% about the noise. Less windy overall, but there is more noise. I'm 6'1" and I do where a full face helmet. To be honest, the noise doesn't really kick in until about 50mph.

Question: If I adjust the angle and or height of the screen, will that affect wind noise? I'll try to play around some more with it.
I tried to adjust it higher but it didnt make a difference.

My concern about wind noise is that I understand that over time that can cause unrepairable hearing lose that is slow and grandual kind of like my smoking.

The SC is my 'car' so I ride it often thus such things are more a concern for me.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #36
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
I tried to adjust it higher but it didnt make a difference.

My concern about wind noise is that I understand that over time that can cause unrepairable hearing lose that is slow and grandual kind of like my smoking.

The SC is my 'car' so I ride it often thus such things are more a concern for me.
I wear ear plugs every time I ride. Anyone who doesn't will likely lose some hearing over time. I have never owned a bike or helmet that wasn't noisy at higher speeds.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #37
Chindog
Old Guy

Oddometer: 24
I tried wearing earplugs, but they blew out every time I wore my half helmet.

Huh? What did you say?

Chindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah, I had a chance to do some more adjusting and riding today and it didn't make much difference. I have it angled as close to vertical as possible and no difference. I'll have to wear earplugs. Still, it is very comfortable from a wind buffetting standpoint.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #39
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I am not sure what the "magic" was with my zuma set-up but it worked better for wind and buffeting management than any set-up I have ever had including an FJR1300 with a barndoor sized screen and all kinds of adjustment including angle and height. As you can see the zuma screen was close to the rider and rather straight up but it flat out worked. Pretty sure if I was a smoker I could have smoked behind it. Maybe it was because I could only go 55 mph? One big difference between you all and I is that 90% of the time I wore a half helmet with that scooter.

wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #40
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Took a ride today

Here are some pics from today's ride. The weather has been sunny the past week or so, temps in the mid-high 60's. In about a month, these fields and hills will be covered with wildflowers. What you can't really tell from these pictures is the elevation change. This was at the base of the Sierra Nevada foothills so it I had a nice leisurely up and down twisty ride. Had I fillowed the road 20 miles farther east, I would have been at an elevation of 5500' and not far from the closest ski resort (another 30 miles @ over 7000'). All of that for another time...

Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #41
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I'm jealous. I'd love to be riding now. Nice pics. Nice bike. Enjoy.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
I am not sure what the "magic" was with my zuma set-up but it worked better for wind and buffeting management than any set-up I have ever had including an FJR1300 with a barndoor sized screen and all kinds of adjustment including angle and height. As you can see the zuma screen was close to the rider and rather straight up but it flat out worked. Pretty sure if I was a smoker I could have smoked behind it. Maybe it was because I could only go 55 mph? One big difference between you all and I is that 90% of the time I wore a half helmet with that scooter.

I have the same windshield on my Zuma 125, and it works very well, but it sure is ugly.

JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #43
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Crazy winter storm blew through this afternoon/evening. Chains are required on all vehicles except 4x4 with snow tires on all four tires on the main road about 15 miles east of where I was riding. It's amazing, because yesterday, the high temperature was almost 70 degrees in those places.

Like I said, the elevation change is crazy right there. I was at about 400 feet, 7 miles away, the town is over 1600 feet, and another 17 miles and you're all the way up to 5600 feet.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #44
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I went for a great ride today up to a small town in the Sierras called Shaver Lake. I was worried the SC would have some difficulty with the climb but not a hint of trouble. I decided to take the secondary route up the mountain. The town is at an elevation of 5500 feet, and I live at about 350 feet. From the base of the foothills to the town is about 32 miles, so the climb comes quickly. There is a 4 lane hwy that has speeds of 55 but I took "the old road" with very few speeds above 45 due the winding nature. I don't regret it at all. What a great bike! These pics don't show much, only proof that I did it. lol

Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #45
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
You do have some great riding in California. I plan on making it back there some day.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote