ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #541
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
I've been meaning to speak to you about the front tire on my machine...............

Happy Holidays RR riders, and you too, Mike.
What? The part about it being completely toast?

And yes, best of the holidays to all
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #542
loph917
Beard Bros Racing
 
loph917's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: state of pain and confusion
Oddometer: 4,470
you don't mean that lavender front tire do you?








Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
I've been meaning to speak to you about the front tire on my machine...............

Happy Holidays RR riders, and you too, Mike.
__________________
[ this space for rent ]
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #543
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
I remember seeing a mandatory and suggested packing list but cannot find it anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction?

IS IT JUNE YET?
I remember seeing that list too, it mentioned bike must be in good repair, have DOT tires, carry a tow rope, tire changing tools, etc. It would be nice to see a list of what each rider must have - and what each team must have.

Here's the link to the RR website.
http://graveltravel.ca/index.php?opt...&id=5&Itemid=8

Off the top of my head, I'll give it a shot at listing what I want to have.

Each Rider
bike in good repair with DOT off road tires.
appropriate food, clothes & shelter (prepare for rain)
cooking and eating equipment and utensils as required - everyone is different
toiletries (soap, tp, toothbrush, etc)
tool kit for your bike.
liter or two of extra fuel.
liter or two of water.
reasonable amount of cash.
trail tested system for carrying all the gear on the bike.

Each Team
minimum of 2 weatherproof GPS units with RR routes loaded.
tire tube repair tools - inflation device, irons, good patch kit.
basic first aid supplies.
block & tackle (rope and pulley)
tow rope


Am I forgetting anything?
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #544
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,159
What's the block & tackle for?
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #545
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
What's the block & tackle for?
My bike will weigh in at around 600 pounds. If I get it stuck off the trail, I think that some extra leverage could come in very handy. I've gotten a 300 pound bike stuck in mud so bad (in a rut ON a trail) that it took absolutely everything I had in me to get out. Again, my RR bike will be twice that heavy and I'd like to know that I can get out of a sticky situation.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #546
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vonotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Oddometer: 247
What about a windless? do we need that too
__________________
"It flicked me pretty high and I landed back on the bike so hard I thought I'd swallowed my own nuts!"
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #547
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
My bike will weigh in at around 600 pounds. If I get it stuck off the trail, I think that some extra leverage could come in very handy. I've gotten a 300 pound bike stuck in mud so bad (in a rut ON a trail) that it took absolutely everything I had in me to get out. Again, my RR bike will be twice that heavy and I'd like to know that I can get out of a sticky situation.
Isn't that what your friends are for?
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #548
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
I remember seeing a mandatory and suggested packing list but cannot find it anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Mandatory items that will be checked at sign in...

Proof of ownership and insurance.
Bike suitable and in good (aka safe) condition
-brakes work, pads decent
-dot knobbies
-wheel bearings, steering bearings
-etc
First aid kit
Tow rope
Cellular #
Tire repair kit (tubes, inflator, etc)
GPS suitable for track files
Suitable gear (no jeans , dot helmet, etc)

It won't be a thorough going over of the bike, just a quick check to ensure no obviously inappropriate bikes show up. We'd like to know everyone has a tow tope, tire repair kit, first aid kit, etc so you can take care of yourself if something happens...


Happy holidays, cya in June
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #549
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer
 
4badboyz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Oakville.
Oddometer: 586
we don need no stinking survival crap, we got NAOMI
__________________
tuck in behind me, I'll show you where to crash.
04 FJR1300 07KTM525EXC 03CR250R 77RD400 73CB750
Yet another Translab report... Owen and Mark do Labrador
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #550
Momma Coast Guard
Adventurer
 
Momma Coast Guard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: on the edge of an epic journey
Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
we don need no stinking survival crap, we got NAOMI
aww man, you are awsome.
Best be safe tho and gear yourself up.. I'll do my best to help out however and whenever I can.
Momma Coast Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #551
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 692
Ha, he is really looking for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Mandatory items that will be checked at sign in...

Proof of ownership and insurance.
Bike suitable and in good (aka safe) condition
-brakes work, pads decent
-dot knobbies
-wheel bearings, steering bearings
-etc
First aid kit
Tow rope
Cellular #
Tire repair kit (tubes, inflator, etc)
GPS suitable for track files
Suitable gear (no jeans , dot helmet, etc)

It won't be a thorough going over of the bike, just a quick check to ensure no obviously inappropriate bikes show up. We'd like to know everyone has a tow tope, tire repair kit, first aid kit, etc so you can take care of yourself if something happens...


Happy holidays, cya in June
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #552
alcontrast
at least I'm trying
 
alcontrast's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: central CT, USA
Oddometer: 1,549
yeah! My first aid kit = a few big band-aids, a bottle of ibuprofen, and gps locations of area beer stores.. does that suffice?

I figure most injuries that can't be mended with those things are either too minor to bother carrying first aid for (blisters, bugbites, etc) or they're too extreme to be handled by any standard first aid kit (punctured lung, open/comminuted fractures, etc) where the only real help comes from an ambulance or hospital... I can improvise bandages, splints or tourniquets from clothing, tire irons and spare tubes if need be; but I wouldn't want to test them... So stay safe out there.. It's not a race!


This image of BostonGS with Canuman nursing his wounds at the end of the second day sums it up...


BostonGS on the right cartwheeled his 1200gs (and himself) earlier that day and his elbow was definitely bothering him... Canuman had a SAM splint with him [one of the few things I would certainly add to my minimalist first aid kit if I decide to expand] but notice the bandanas and tape to keep it in place. Out of frame is a 12 pack of Canada's finest BostonGS bought there at camp to help ease the pain.

After riding from north of Ottawa to Toronto and finally having his arm checked out BostonGS did in fact have a fracture near his elbow..The fact that he wasn't the worst injured on the ride says something.. I'll let you decide what it means...








Ride prepared!
__________________

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #553
canridertj
CANRIDER
 
canridertj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: ottawa, ontario
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Sweet



Sadly I missed the one between these two where you are sliding down the rocks while sitting on the side of the bike






What a mcguinty? Your big words don't impress me, they just confuse me
can I ask you how much you paid for the bike?....i only ask because I may be interested in looking for something smaller to thrash around on....you can pm me if you want to keep it quiet...or not....and how did you go about finding it?...is it a pita to bring something over the boarder?
__________________
GO LONG, GO HARD or GO HOME

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man
canridertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #554
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
can I ask you how much you paid for the bike?....i only ask because I may be interested in looking for something smaller to thrash around on....you can pm me if you want to keep it quiet...or not....and how did you go about finding it?...is it a pita to bring something over the boarder?
Good luck finding a nice 625 or 640 in the US. They are awesome bikes and not a lot were sold. The people that have them tend to hang onto them. My friend has a drool worthy 625 that I made him promise to offer to me first, but he won't sell it.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #555
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oddometer: 270
I've seen a few 690's for sale in Ontario but not cheap... especially if its for a second bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Good luck finding a nice 625 or 640 in the US. They are awesome bikes and not a lot were sold. The people that have them tend to hang onto them. My friend has a drool worthy 625 that I made him promise to offer to me first, but he won't sell it.
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014