Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 AM   #91
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
how much lighter are they?

I'm curious as to how it turns out.

How much kit is needed to fit it? The rear disc is a good bit smaller than the original VF rear disc.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #92
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Chammyman,
Not sure on exact weight difference, but its supposed to be pretty substantial. Those stock 85 VF wheels are HEAVY. The biggest thing is the available tire sizes and having more normal 17" wheels.

Daughtery Motorsports makes the kits. Pretty simple up front, spacers and speedo drive from my understanding. The back requires the usage of a caliper adapter bracket as well as some spacing work.
http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/...html#wheelswap

Its my understanding that I wont use the rotors, but use my old VF rotor on it.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #93
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, I know, its been almost a year since I've posted anything on this. A lot has happened. Life got in the way... New other, and much better half, things have been distracted at best, but totally worth it.

In any case, the wheels... Yeah, total nightmare. Double powder coated. With some sort of seriously tough industrial paint on top. Turns out they weren't black originally. They were white. Multiple goes with aircraft stripper and one trip to a blast cabinet, they still aren't ready for powder, just finally down to the original white. Going to need another blasting. And heavier media next time. I have the tires and bearings ready for them but they still aren't powder coated yet.

Frame is sandblasted and powder coated a textured semi-flat black. I really like it. Very subtle and mean looking.

Using the Daughtery Motorsports stuff it now sports a Honda F2 rear shock.

I purchased matching spring rate front springs from him as well so the suspension should be set up about right. Motor is all sealed up and in it. Picked up a Dynot Jet Kit and K&N Filter for it and its all jetted up for an aftermarket exhaust (which I have yet to find on eBay) and ready once it goes back together.

So the plan now is for flat black paint, no logos, no nothing. Just dark, sinister, and confusing to those who don't know what they're looking. Part VF Interceptor and part Honda CBR600 F2.

Now to get back to my buddies blast cabinet one day, get these wheels finished, mounted with the new tires, and back on its own feet! I'll try to be better about staying on it and keeping this updated.

chambersc screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 02:49 PM
chambersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #94
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yeah, and just for the record, when this whole deal started a year and a half ago I was hoping to be a part of the "Cheap Bike Challenge"...

Yeah, I don't even want to admit how seriously far beyond that I am now. Scary beyond that. I can NEVER sell this bike.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #95
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
about time we had an update!

the frame at first I thought looked poor, but up close and you can see the metallic in it it looks great.

The polished side cover etc awesome.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #96
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No real update other than the fact that my now FIANCE (insert applause here) tells me Christmas morning "I didn't get you anything because I'm going to have your wheels finished for you. I was going to just take them and drop them off to have the sandblasting finished and powdercoating done, but when I asked your buddies if they thought you would notice that they were gone the first thing they said was OH YEAH, that wont work, he'll notice right away that they're gone."

She's ready to see it together and on the road and not in my back room of my house. Not to mention now we're looking at selling my house so I need to get it mobile. I've made another trip to a different blast cabinet and that stuff is still not coming off. Got a new type of stripper and it helped some but the knooks and crannies are still full of white powder. So I'm going to let the powdercoating shop deal with it.

Damn good gift from a pretty awesome lady.

She headed out of town tonight for a few days to see family so I think tonight is going to be rebuilding of master cylinders and calipers while I have nothing going on. I have the rebuild kits here already, I just need to get moving on it. Need to start measuring for braided stainless hoses too.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #97
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 530
Two words man. Hell yeah!

Subscribed.

I want to see this on the road !
rat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #98
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It occurred to me last night that I Ioaned my snap ring plier set to a buddy a while back. So I guess I need to go retrieve that. Suffices to say that master cylinder rebuilds didn't happen. BUT, I did get the instrument panel and headlight mounted. Progress occurred, albeit small progress.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #99
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,103
Thank you for brining one of these cool old bikes back from the near-dead. It's looking very nice, thanks for the update!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #100
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Cant wait to see it...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #101
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I realized last night in my short amount of tinkering that I put he wiring harness OVER the subframe instead of under it when I ran to the rear for lighting and hooked up the regulator, starter relay, etc, etc under each side panel. Uhgg... Made me just walk away when I realized all of the crap I had to take back apart. Maybe tomorrow. Last night was not the night for it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #102
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Okay, I'm in....
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #103
drdfblackm
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 822
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #104
smack doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Keep up the good work. Someday I'll get my hands on an old VF. Those CBR wheels are gonna look great on it.
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #105
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Exhaust

So since any aftermarket exhaust for this is essentially made of "unobtanium" and can no longer be bought new, I am looking at options for running a dual slip on set up. I think I will keep my factory head pipes and try to scour up some used dual slip ons that I can modify the mid-pipe to work.

Been eyeballing Hayabusa slip ons on eBay. My old 1994 ZX-11D also had dual exhaust. Any other good suggestions out there you guys can think of for finding a set of used slip ons that could be modified to work with my exhaust?