Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #76
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Lefty, you shouldn't have to worry too much about cleaning your chain. It's running all the time and there won't be that much mud. Just carry one can of spray lube, O-Ring safe stuff made for chains, and replace it along the way. Plenty of bike shops and auto parts houses to buy from. I also carried a very small bottle of silicone spray to keep my zippers working (they get hard when dusty) and to keep the ignition switch working nicely.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #77
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Thoughts

Ditch the roll charts. Cut the relevant pages out of the atlases, and ditch the rest. Consider Garmin's 24K topos -- routeable like City navigator, but detailed with terrain.

Ditch the water bottles. Keep your camelbak refilled at each gas stop. You should drink a minimum of 2L while riding during the day. When it's cool and dry, you will have to force yourself to drink that much. You'll get liquids with meals too, don't forget. If you're sweating a lot, then drink more. If you're not thirsty, drink at least the 2 liters. If you're thirsty, then drink more. If you're eating a normal diet, then you don't need any of that electrolyte replacement neon-colored crap. Pure marketing genius is all it is. At your last gas stop for the day, fill the dromedary too if you anticipate no water at your camp destination.

For emergencies, (and even for campsite pump water early / late season the water isn't certified, they recommend filter and/or boiling), get a filter, we use the Kadadyn Hiker pro. Even in the desert you will cross water every so often.

If you need a bottle to carry water for a section or two, buy 2 liters of soda or water, and refill it. On occasion, we've even bought some horrid off-brand "cola" for 89¢ and immediately dumped it in the parking lot, went back into the store and refilled the empty with water.

Consider Sweetcheeks; we refill the bottles with gas when we have to, then ditch them and buy new bottles. Fill with water when needed, otherwise run them empty, nearly weightless and makes a dirt bike seat tolerable for long straight stretches.

Way too many gloves. Consider heated grips, one pair of riding gloves, and one pair of camp gloves (for collecting firewood, chopping, grabbing hot pots, etc)

Tool kit looks good.
Kermit is totally worth it's weight.
So is this pillow.
Down still rocks. Keep it dry.

I don't run heated clothes -- too much to tangle in the event of a rider-bike disconnect (crash). Others swear by them.
If you're going to run a heated vest, etc, then definitely ditch the layers. If you want all the layers, then ditch the heated gear.

You can restock proper dehydrated meals in any bigger town that has an outfitter -- elk country. But also regular grocery stores have: Ramen, mac & cheese, salami, canned stew, chili, tuna, salad-in-a-bag... etc. You should have enough food with you to survive two days, but you will be able to buy groceries when you buy gas. We keep the dehydrated meals for emergencies and desperation, otherwise we're cooking fresh food we picked up that day whenever possible.

Chain maintenance: I've tried it all. No lube, teflon spray, auto-oilers, silicone spray. My current system: I carry a small leakproof nalgene bottle of gear oil, and a separate drip nozzle that I store in a pill bottle so it doesn't mess anything else up. At the end of each day (and at gas stops if it's really dusty / dirty), I inspect the chain, and then run a bead of gear oil on everyplace that's easily accessible. I don't go nuts, but I do it consistently. I am happy with this system. It is the first time I haven't replaced chains and sprockets after 5-6000 miles.

Remind me, have I sent you our packing list excel spreadsheet?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #78
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
EDIT: OP asked me to remove my link to a KML of the TAT.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)

xathor screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:49 PM
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #79
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Ditch the roll charts. Cut the relevant pages out of the atlases, and ditch the rest. Consider Garmin's 24K topos -- routeable like City navigator, but detailed with terrain.

Ditch the water bottles. Keep your camelbak refilled at each gas stop. You should drink a minimum of 2L while riding during the day. When it's cool and dry, you will have to force yourself to drink that much. You'll get liquids with meals too, don't forget. If you're sweating a lot, then drink more. If you're not thirsty, drink at least the 2 liters. If you're thirsty, then drink more. If you're eating a normal diet, then you don't need any of that electrolyte replacement neon-colored crap. Pure marketing genius is all it is. At your last gas stop for the day, fill the dromedary too if you anticipate no water at your camp destination.

For emergencies, (and even for campsite pump water early / late season the water isn't certified, they recommend filter and/or boiling), get a filter, we use the Kadadyn Hiker pro. Even in the desert you will cross water every so often.

If you need a bottle to carry water for a section or two, buy 2 liters of soda or water, and refill it. On occasion, we've even bought some horrid off-brand "cola" for 89¢ and immediately dumped it in the parking lot, went back into the store and refilled the empty with water.

Consider Sweetcheeks; we refill the bottles with gas when we have to, then ditch them and buy new bottles. Fill with water when needed, otherwise run them empty, nearly weightless and makes a dirt bike seat tolerable for long straight stretches.

Way too many gloves. Consider heated grips, one pair of riding gloves, and one pair of camp gloves (for collecting firewood, chopping, grabbing hot pots, etc)

Tool kit looks good.
Kermit is totally worth it's weight.
So is this pillow.
Down still rocks. Keep it dry.

I don't run heated clothes -- too much to tangle in the event of a rider-bike disconnect (crash). Others swear by them.
If you're going to run a heated vest, etc, then definitely ditch the layers. If you want all the layers, then ditch the heated gear.

You can restock proper dehydrated meals in any bigger town that has an outfitter -- elk country. But also regular grocery stores have: Ramen, mac & cheese, salami, canned stew, chili, tuna, salad-in-a-bag... etc. You should have enough food with you to survive two days, but you will be able to buy groceries when you buy gas. We keep the dehydrated meals for emergencies and desperation, otherwise we're cooking fresh food we picked up that day whenever possible.

Chain maintenance: I've tried it all. No lube, teflon spray, auto-oilers, silicone spray. My current system: I carry a small leakproof nalgene bottle of gear oil, and a separate drip nozzle that I store in a pill bottle so it doesn't mess anything else up. At the end of each day (and at gas stops if it's really dusty / dirty), I inspect the chain, and then run a bead of gear oil on everyplace that's easily accessible. I don't go nuts, but I do it consistently. I am happy with this system. It is the first time I haven't replaced chains and sprockets after 5-6000 miles.

Remind me, have I sent you our packing list excel spreadsheet?
Good stuff Dr Rock-guess I'll be doing some ditching. I sure would like to se what your using for gloves? I'm reading it can be from 30-100F across the board-I sure haven't found one glove that works for those temps. Do you guys no bother with trying to carry a water proof glove? I sure would like to narrow it down to one glove
And I would appreciate a copy of your packing list when you get the chance. cheers
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #80
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
I used heated grips and eel skin gauntlet gloves (aero stich). Plus a thin set of work gloves for tire changes. They weren't water proof, but we were lucky. Bark busters will help keep air off your hands, plus good ones will negate the need for extra levers.

I like to carry mixed nuts, for snaking on plus good energy just in case. Usually I had three freeze dried bags, 2 servings each. Plus only had a small pot for the stove, and a metal cup for hot chocolate/tea. There are concentrated drink mixes you can buy for a liquid sugar fix. You shouldn't need a lot of pots and pans, should be able to get by with a small one.

There are plenty of places to get food, so your not gonna starve! Unless you break down in Nevada....

I used a small a Butterfly chair, but prefered a camp rite three legged one. easy to pull out as use as a stool, or lean it up against the a tree.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #81
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,179
Hey Lefty,, I love my Kermit chair.. in fact I have two of them for some reason but if I was heading out on the small bike.. which of course I am planning to do more of once I get to CO next spring.. then I would be packing one of these along http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair I sat in Lilolita and Chesses at the last camp n ride, and bought one for myself a couple of weeks ago. It is 90% as comfortable as a kermit but only half the size and weight.. just trying to spend your money for you.. get one of these and keep the extra set of gloves
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #82
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I could see a green line representing the tat in google earth-is that your trip mapped out?
At the time when I made that it was the latest route with all the best information I could find. Tennessee is missing since I plan on starting near Corinth, MS and I am missing a section of East Oklahoma. If you were to import that KML into BaseCamp and send it to your GPS you could follow the route.

If you wanted to share what you have I can add it to the route and redistribute it. I was looking to make a database of alternate routes, an easy visual guide of how the route has changed over the years and a set of waypoints that show users where there are dangers (example the huge sinkhole in Oregon on the route two years ago), where there are gas stations that are open and who has premium fuels (WR250R needs 91 octane), where the best hotel/motel/camping locations are, and where there are sightseeing opportunities just off the trail. I also wanted to collect a database of inmates that live along or near the route for emergencies. I had a lot of idea's to pack this all into a website... I just never got a rountuit.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #83
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
I sure would like to se what your using for gloves? I'm reading it can be from 30-100F across the board-I sure haven't found one glove that works for those temps. Do you guys no bother with trying to carry a water proof glove? I sure would like to narrow it down to one glove
I have a pair of these which are indestructible. I picked the lining out of the index and thumb of the left glove to better push small buttons on electronics while riding. I have a pair of nylon lobster mitts, sort of like these (or these) or (get fancy) which I only wore in Alaska/NWT/Yukon/BC when it was snowing or windy cold rain. I also have a pair of leather work gloves for camp chores and as a backup for my riding gloves.

Quote:
And I would appreciate a copy of your packing list when you get the chance. cheers
PM me your email... files can't be attached via ADV.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #84
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,664
Camp Chair

So nice to have a camp chair at camp---sure beats sitting on the ground.

Here's is my chair-----it's pretty pricey, but worth every penny.

The best part is it saves so much time packing up as there is no need to dis--assemble it at all.

An added benefit-------in a tail wind you can get some really great mpg.

Headwind-----------not so much.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #85
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Hey Lefty,, I love my Kermit chair.. in fact I have two of them for some reason but if I was heading out on the small bike.. which of course I am planning to do more of once I get to CO next spring.. then I would be packing one of these along http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair I sat in Lilolita and Chesses at the last camp n ride, and bought one for myself a couple of weeks ago. It is 90% as comfortable as a kermit but only half the size and weight.. just trying to spend your money for you.. get one of these and keep the extra set of gloves
Ya know Matt-that looks good. I tried the 2 legged Monarch from REI-too much effort for me-returned it,but your looks worth checking out for when I need to go LIGHT-if not I'll certainly consider BigDogs option.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #86
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
You know what they say about opinions, and that everybody has one. I have a Kermit chair and it's the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's big and HEAVY! I adopted an idea from one of my riding partners after ignoring his selection for too long; get a compact (short) three legged canvas and aluminum camping chair. The good thing is that besides being LIGHT, it's fine for sitting around the fire, working on your bike, or putting on or taking off your pants, sox and boots. I wear a knee brace and it's invaluable for that. Not a lounge chair by any means, but very versitile.

Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #87
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

I think what you guys need to do is ship me all the different chairs listed so I can try out each one on a shake down trip and then I will choose. I promise I'll send them right back
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #88
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,664
Quote:
I think what you guys need to do is ship me all the different chairs listed so I can try out each one on a shake down trip and then I will choose. I promise I'll send them right back
I'll need your address

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #89
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Here's a pict of the chair Ken is talking about...called a Camp Rite, chair but I cannot find it on line anymore.

good thing it sets up easy....

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #90
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

damn you must be one fast tire changer, cause 3 out of 4 guys didn't even bother to get off their bikes and take off their helmets