User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
flaadvandmtbrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
2003 r1150 rt

Looking at one of these used with about 30K miles, any known issues? Fueling OK? Would it be better to wait for the right 2004? I hear the head changed. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
You might try checking BMWSt.com or bmwlt.com for some additional feedback.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,509
I would not worry about the head change thingy. If the bike runs out good then get it. I have a 2004 R1150RT now and used to own a 2002 R1150RT in the past. They all run rough but they run good. The 1150 engine just did not hit the mark for a smooth BMW engine. My 84 R100RS and my 07 R1200GS are both much smoother. But saying that I still love the 1150's. Like any beemer it seems the harder you ride them the happier they are.

Marc
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Sorry for the obvious question but any benefit to the 1150 engine? Like easier to adjust valves or over built at all?
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Sorry for the obvious question but any benefit to the 1150 engine? Like easier to adjust valves or over built at all?
Benefits compared to which other BMW engine? The original 1100 oilhead was a big step up in sophistication from the airheads.

The R1100xx were 5 speeds, the 1150 started the 6 speed era (aside from the R1100S).
The 1150 oilhead was in production for a long time....then came the R1200 'hex head'.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
DrMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
servo brakes

If it has the abs brakes, make sure the fluid was changed regularly. Servo pump can be a $2k repair.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Tranny/clutch spline, final drive and power brake booster are $2500 each. Roulette.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
flaadvandmtbrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gulp..... Hmmm, let me rethink this purchase. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Tranny/clutch spline, final drive and power brake booster are $2500 each. Roulette.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 822
If my memory serves me well, the 2002 model year of this bike was a single spark cylinder head which was prone to low speed surging due to a very lean fuel mixture. In 2003 they switched to a dual spark which fixed 90 % of the tangible problem. My 2002 1150RT surged like crazy until I added a Techlusion fueling middle which takes about 10 mins to install, and instantly fixed the problem, and the bike ran much smoother. It had 36K on the clock when I bought it - one owner bike. Other than that, the starter needed to be pulled an lubed (gets a bit sticky with age, and can sound like its grinding on start) Easy fix The rear shock oil reservoir also needed to be refilled (another easy fix) and a the bike you're looking at will likely need it as well. I pulled the throttle bodies and cleaned them out (the were full of junk)
The servo brakes take some getting used to (very touchy) but work great. Make sure that the fluid has been changed out - these needed a special flush procedure, and I believe that the 36K mile service also calls for a new alternator belt.
There is the final drive issue, but in reality from what I have read the vast majority of these bikes had no final drive problems. I loved that RT, it was a great looking, great all round bike. Despite the fact it was 10 years old the shape still looked relevant. There is a TON of info online at BMWSPORTTOURING.COM - helpful people with years of experience with this bike.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaadvandmtbrider View Post
Gulp..... Hmmm, let me rethink this purchase. Damn.
There are LOTS of these 1150's running around with big miles on them. These things have been in police service around the globe forever. If they've been maintained (like any other bike should be) the RT is as good a bike as there is and probably one of the best. I wouldn't let the worst doomsday scenario scare you off from buying an affordable excellent touring bike.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Love my 2002 1150RT. Best looking bike made IMO.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
RT Pilot
Just lurking, thanks

Oddometer: 15
I have almost 64K miles on my 03 RT, and it runs better now than it did at 10K. No major issues, kept the brake fluids serviced and other routine maintenance as required. Great all-around bike for commuting or touring, comfortable and more than fast enough for any highway situation. If you can get it checked out before you buy and get it for a good price you won't regret it.
RT Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Effjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
As my sig shows, both of mine are 2004 twin-spark. Both likewise with fairly low total mileage (10K/22K respectively), so my long term oilhead ownership and related "advice" is limited. Even so, I'd opt for latest technology based on total mileage and overall moto condition since likely all in consideration will have servo brakes plus replacement cost of the lower set of sparkplugs isn't a big deal.

Having previously owned a 2007 hexhead RT from new until earlier this year, my transition to oilheads has been fairly recent and quite pleasant. As documented comparo specs reveal, oilheads have more heft while sporting less power yet appeal to me greatly. In my few weeks of R1150RT ownership, I'm enjoying making it my own just as with other motos before. This RT will be a keeper!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
flaadvandmtbrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effjay View Post
As my sig shows, both of mine are 2004 twin-spark. Both likewise with fairly low total mileage (10K/22K respectively), so my long term oilhead ownership and related "advice" is limited. Even so, I'd opt for latest technology based on total mileage and overall moto condition since likely all in consideration will have servo brakes plus replacement cost of the lower set of sparkplugs isn't a big deal.

Having previously owned a 2007 hexhead RT from new until earlier this year, my transition to oilheads has been fairly recent and quite pleasant. As documented comparo specs reveal, oilheads have more heft while sporting less power yet appeal to me greatly. In my few weeks of R1150RT ownership, I'm enjoying making it my own just as with other motos before. This RT will be a keeper!

Nice, nice, nice.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #15
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
There are LOTS of these 1150's running around with big miles on them. These things have been in police service around the globe forever. If they've been maintained (like any other bike should be) the RT is as good a bike as there is and probably one of the best. I wouldn't let the worst doomsday scenario scare you off from buying an affordable excellent touring bike.
I completely agree as long as your finances can withstand the hit. A friend of mine has done three clutch spline replacements for friends of his in Kentucky. Crazy high percentange considering three failures just among his riding friends. The bike has to be split in two to remove the tranny and then the tranny has to come apart to replace the shaft. One of the problems is the shaft is too short from the factory and the replacement is the same part exactly when you buy it from BMW. There is a guy making correct length shafts that's only a few hundred more than the $600 part from BMW that is too short.
Barry