Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #72211
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Do Acerbis tanks have this much of a problem emptying fuel?
Looking at my Acerbis4.9 tank, it appears that the petcock actually sits below the level of the intake on my carb. Anyone else notice this? I can't actually hook up the fuel line without there being a bit of an uphill climb to it or a bend.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #72212
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Don't know if this could help, but... I have pressurized the gas tank on my ST1100 with lung power and piece of hose to get fuel to the carbs when the 'lectric pump failed. Not recommended for a long trip, and do remember to remove the hose from yur mouth before ya inhale.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #72213
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Is this an IMS or Acerbis tank? Seller claimed to be acerbis. But look IMS to me. I think acerbis is more angular, correct?

Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #72214
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
I just purchased the acerbis tank and it looks the same to me. You will know for sure when you fill it up.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #72215
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
So the ongoing struggle to get my Safari tank dialed in continues. When I last checked in you guys told me to fill it up and see how far I can get before it craps out. Seemed like the logical thing to do so I filled it with 33 liters (still had some in the tank when I rolled up to the gas station) and rode it for 275 miles. Then 5 miles from town in 108 degree heat, it stopped. It looked like I still had a lot of gas left so the only thing I could do was shake the bike a bit and luckily got some gas into the engine. Once at home I let everything cool down and I sprayed the carb inlet elbow with ALOT of WD40 and proceeded to empty the remaining gas into another container. When the Safari finally ran dry I found that it still had an additional 4 1/4 liters of gas remaining…and I was pissed. So I stripped the tank off grabbed a set of vice grips and cranked the elbow over to the 90 degree position. Was pretty happy that nothing snapped off and after I put the tank back on I re-routed the lines and removed the cheap inline filter I installed.

This is what it looks like now.

Does this look right to you? How bad is that bend in the hose?

Going out for a ride tomorrow and hopefully I can get another 50-60 miles before it goes dry. If not, I might be putting the Safari in the flea market and picking up a Acerbis. I really need the range and don't want to carry external containers if I don't have to.

Stay tuned and thanks again for your help.
Canoli
This seems to be a common problem. When I fitted mine I had it the same as yours and when I hit reserve the bike would die even though I had changed to reserve. I had to blow down the tank vent to get fuel into the carb before it would go again.
What you need is a longer hose between the T piece and the carb and it needs to loop down and back up to the tank. This cures it. Straight in like you have it seems to cause an airlock. With the hose going down hill there is always some fuel in it.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #72216
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Looking at my Acerbis4.9 tank, it appears that the petcock actually sits below the level of the intake on my carb. Anyone else notice this? I can't actually hook up the fuel line without there being a bit of an uphill climb to it or a bend.
My Acerbis tank is a 5.3 gallon. The petcock is above the intake on my carb, but I have a TM 40.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #72217
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
Is this an IMS or Acerbis tank? Seller claimed to be acerbis. But look IMS to me. I think acerbis is more angular, correct?

Thats the one on craigslist right, in spokane?
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #72218
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Yea, Spoken with the seller. He confirmed it's an acerbis. Only wish He posted pictures of different angles.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #72219
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren20 View Post
is this an ims or acerbis tank? Seller claimed to be acerbis. But look ims to me. I think acerbis is more angular, correct?

ims
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #72220
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
This seems to be a common problem. When I fitted mine I had it the same as yours and when I hit reserve the bike would die even though I had changed to reserve. I had to blow down the tank vent to get fuel into the carb before it would go again.
What you need is a longer hose between the T piece and the carb and it needs to loop down and back up to the tank. This cures it. Straight in like you have it seems to cause an airlock. With the hose going down hill there is always some fuel in it.
Thanks I'll put a "loop" back in it.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #72221
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Yea, Spoken with the seller. He confirmed it's an acerbis. Only wish He posted pictures of different angles.
that looks like an ims to me; not an acerbis.

acerbis:

ims:

if it's an acerbis, it's some older type...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #72222
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
This post makes me appreciate my simple DR all the more. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=33

Every time a new thumper comes out I get excited and think it might be something to replace the DR. Then I read posts like this. All that just to change the oil.
And I thought changing the oil on my old 520exc was a PITA. Love my dr though suspension no where near that of the old 520...
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #72223
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:

Def an IMS.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #72224
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
And I thought changing the oil on my old 520exc was a PITA. Love my dr though suspension no where near that of the old 520...
I so badly wanted to put my DR650 engine in the chassis of my 2000 KTM 250 exc. That would've been a fun bike.

Now I think I would just get a 2007 525exc and call it even.

DR is easier to change oil on.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #72225
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:

That looks just like my IMS 4.9. The Acerbis 5.3 is more angular. The Acerbis 6.6 for older DR650s looks different.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote