Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #136
DustyOne
worldy traveler from afar

Oddometer: 289
Question how to SET THE SAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I was on the bike setting sag. I purposely sat on the pillion seat to weight it even further. I also wore a really heavy jacket and put a 25lb dumb bell on the frame. I'm probably within 10% of the final weight, but yeah SWAG

Missing tank, battery, some plastics, lights. which is probably close to the dumbbell weight. I just want to get in the ball park, can always throw in a heavier spring or more preload.

Hey Pete

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you did all that funky stuff and a 25 pound weight, etc

BUT

.....you did FLIP OFF those flip-flops and slip on your riding boots when you set the SAG---right????

HappyRiding !!
Thomas
DustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #137
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
This build is way beyond my skills
Mine too

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #138
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerWolf View Post
Hey Pete

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you did all that funky stuff and a 25 pound weight, etc

BUT

.....you did FLIP OFF those flip-flops and slip on your riding boots when you set the SAG---right????

HappyRiding !!
Thomas

Uh no, I have to ensure OSHA compliance at all times so the open toed footwear stays. I did eat a 16" hoagie for lunch so....

Nessmuk
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #139
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Did some work on the subframe, mostly small tube work and a few gussets.

Bent and welded a cradle for the rotopax. I also bought a Rotopax mount but I figured this would be more secure and will mount to the back of the pannier hoops that I have yet to build. I bought the rotopax that was close to the size of the Wolfman saddlebags so it will tuck in right behind. I figure it will be about the same width as the exhaust on the right side. It's 5052 0.080" aluminum I bent, cut the 45 degree miters and welded. I'll secure the tank with an Ancra cam buckle.

Sent the CAD drawing to my waterjet guy and dropped off the 3/16" plate I got from my buddy free as a drop. Should have them back next week and can tack them in pace to drop the shock in.

Nessmuk
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #140
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Got my shock mounts back from the waterjet guy, they came out great.

Get these tacked up and see how it looks.

Ordering a new set of wheels from woodys, rad billet cush hub, big spokes superlaced and excel rims. I'll use my current wheels as backup for the rally.

Decided to build my bag mounts from aluminum so I got a couple sticks of 1" 6063 which I have found to take a nice bend. Also got the aluminum for the rotopax redo and surge tank.

Lots of progress need to keep plugging away

Nessmuk
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #141
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Couldn't wait for the weekend so I put the mounts on to see what's what.

Fits perfectly glad I spent so much time measuring and drawing and measuring and measuring. I do need to nick the corner off the lower mount hole as it's hitting a weld bead from the old subframe mount.

I clamped the mount on and bounced up and down on the bike using my arms, feels good. The clamp wasn't strong enough and the mount was pulling away so I couldn't really sit body weight on it. I have some additional gusseting I plan to do down to the horizontal frame spar that should stiffen up the mount laterally and add some strength to the whole thing. Very pleased with how this part of the project is shaping up.

Nessmuk
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #142
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Welded on the shock mount. Took awhile to jig it up so it would not move and the bolt would slide freely

Sitting on it's own. Shock mount feels really strong when I was bouncing up and down on it. I need to clearance the swingarm where the sprocket bolts pass and then I can do another round of measurements to make sure my sag and travel are where I planned them to be.

Then I was trying to empty the gas tank and spilled 1/2 gal on my leg and called it good for the day. No need to weld like that

Bought a new header, KTM low fender and modified oil pan which should help things along.

Nessmuk
Old 01-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #143
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
wow, that looks really good! I know you fretted about the geometry but it looks "right" to the naked eye. Is it too late for me to ask that you make two of everything from here on through the footpeg mounts?

I don't have a waterjet guy...
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #144
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 146
I love reading threads like this, it keeps my imagination rolling on what I would do to my bike but can't! Keep it up, your 2 previous builds were top stuff to read, but this one is a step or two higher, at least for my taste
MadM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #145
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
wow, that looks really good! I know you fretted about the geometry but it looks "right" to the naked eye. Is it too late for me to ask that you make two of everything from here on through the footpeg mounts?

Sure if you're serious I'd be happy to make up another set for you. I'm guessing you want the foot pegs moved? I haven't gotten to that yet but will soon. My current plan is to have some plate cut following the contour of the main frame and then bracing the plate with a piece of tubing to the bottom crossmember. I am using KTM dirtbike pegs.

Hit me up when you see me drawing them up and I'll get another plate made. You'll need to do the welding, cost should be around $20 plus postage as a guess. Nothing I have had waterjet cut has cost over his minimum $25 charge so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
I love reading threads like this, it keeps my imagination rolling on what I would do to my bike but can't! Keep it up, your 2 previous builds were top stuff to read, but this one is a step or two higher, at least for my taste

Thanks!! I don't know about the can't do it part. I had never even welded or used a lathe prior to my first build. It was learn as you go. The first one was tough and I struggled with a lot of the decisions. I also bit off a fairly ambitious project with loads of fabricating and the starting from scratch made things screech to a halt often.

This project is going much more smoothly. I've compromised in some areas like keeping the subframe mainly intact, which saves a tremendous amount of work in redesigning little things like seat latches. You have no idea how long it takes to make those little doodads from scratch. Hell I could build that entire shock mount quicker than a seat latch. It also makes using the bodywork and subframe trays easy and quicker so the whole back end gets buttoned up just like stock. I think it will end up looking better too.

I've also spent money in areas where it was worth it to me like the waterjet parts. Before I would have spent hours cutting drilling grinding to come up with those mounts and they still wouldn't have looked as nice. So now I email my guy the CAD file and pick them up 2 days later and it costs $25, money well spent.

I guess it's just experience but building them seems easy and relaxing now. I love falling asleep thinking about something I'm trying to build and I wake up with a solution. Nothing is more enjoyable than heading down to the garage with a hot cup of coffee and seeing your creation come to life. It's even more fun the first time you ride it and it actually works

Nessmuk
Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #146
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,301
Quote:

Count me in for a set as well Can we put a tab/add on to the mounting plate to tie in side racks? I used the passenger pegs to mount a modified gvii rack, the top of the rack mount to a swmotech top rack. With a crossbrace between each rack, they can take a beating and survive.

No fun breaking the stock pegs off!

Is the tank or seat going to cover the top of the rear shock? Interested in see how you deal with it. I've always thought the seating position was to far aft, at least for serious off road.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #147
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Sure if you're serious I'd be happy to make up another set for you. I'm guessing you want the foot pegs moved? I haven't gotten to that yet but will soon. My current plan is to have some plate cut following the contour of the main frame and then bracing the plate with a piece of tubing to the bottom crossmember. I am using KTM dirtbike pegs.

Hit me up when you see me drawing them up and I'll get another plate made. You'll need to do the welding, cost should be around $20 plus postage as a guess. Nothing I have had waterjet cut has cost over his minimum $25 charge so far.

That would be great, thanks! I have the versys peg mounts which aren't too bad but i'd like them to sit even lower and possibly more forward. Bigger and more beefy will be a good bonus, too
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #148
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Count me in for a set as well Can we put a tab/add on to the mounting plate to tie in side racks? I used the passenger pegs to mount a modified gvii rack, the top of the rack mount to a swmotech top rack. With a crossbrace between each rack, they can take a beating and survive.

Is the tank or seat going to cover the top of the rear shock? Interested in see how you deal with it. I've always thought the seating position was to far aft, at least for serious off road.
Sanjoh,

I don't think my plate is going to go that high. I never have passenger pegs so I don't have a need for the mount to go up to that second frame bolt hole

Sorry for the crap pic but I had envisioned following that outer/lower frame tube around to the bottom (get around the kick stand bracket somehow) and then tying it in to the lower crossmember with some tubing or plate. You would now have that top M8 bolt available that you could run a shoulder bolt or have some provision for mounting your givi rack.

The mount is also going to require some serious welding and as such you will have to grind the paint off your frame and need to redo it. I've also removed all the muffler brackets so I can't tell if those are going to be in the way. I might even decide that the kickstand needs to get relocated.

Anyways, I'll look closer at is and see if there is another solution for you and dentvet that could possibly be bolt on like the factory ones, just relocates the peg futher and lower. My only concern with this is the leverage of a lower peg is going to be a lot for (3) M8 bolts which is why I went to the welding idea vs bolting aluminum plate because the aluminum was going to need to be massive and would weigh more than a steel one. But we might be able to figure out something I'll keep you updated.

Yes I plan to remake the seatpan and have it extended forward about a couple inches. That's the big unknown at this point and how much of the stock gastank I can get away with beating in or if I'm going to need to cut the back of the tank off and completely remake it. I guess I'll find out soon as that is project I can now tackle with the shock done. I do know that I will need to relocate the fuel pump at a minimum. I felt the seat was too far aft as well. It's fine, but when I sat on the bike with no tank and thought "Where would I be most comfortable without a ton of reach" it was about 2-3". Essentially the "boys" will be right above the shock head, better have trust in your welding right?

Hopefully I can accomplish this with epoxy and cloth to extend the pan, I'm not sure how the plastic and epoxy will bond to each other. I have a buddy locally who is the owner of a custom plastic fabrication company and I'm sure he'd be able to weld the plastic for me if I can do it with glues. I know stuff like 3M 5200 is the do all bond anything glue, that might be an answer too.

Nessmuk
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #149
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
That would be great, thanks! I have the versys peg mounts which aren't too bad but i'd like them to sit even lower and possibly more forward. Bigger and more beefy will be a good bonus, too
As I said to Sanjoh, let's see if I can design you both up a solution that can bolt to the factory mounts. My guess is that it's going to be too much leverage on those bolts.

Either way if YOU come up with a solution and can draw it out for me, I can certainly have it cut. I have a customer that has the largest aluminum distribution business around so I get aluminum for scrap prices and my next door neighbor has an architectural steel fab business. The waterjet guy is also incredibly friendly and his $25 minimum is handy. I'd be happy to be the go between and pick stuff up and mail if anyone wants things done within reason. Their site is www.atomatic-mfg.com and the guy is named Ken Luther.

Nessmuk
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #150
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Man, that swing arm looks good on there! What is the length of the swing arm from the pivot CL to the axle CL when the axle is at mid point of the chain adjustment?

Sent you a PM
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote