User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
Can't decide F800R Vs.......

So a friend of mine is in the market for a new ride. We just came back from the dealer where he test rode the F800R. I was no help as I suggested the GS or the K\RT and K\GT bikes.

He is just getting off an FZ6

99% of his riding will be commuting, but he does some day rides, a weekend here and there and might take a few long rides with me.

The two bikes he has been looking at lately are the NC700X (Or S, whichever uses the regular trans) and now the F800R.

Anything else in that type of style that you guys think he should look at?

Oh, used bikes are not on the table, he prefers new. He has a bad taste in his mouth from a rat of a used bike he had ages ago and never wants to go through that again. Whereas I on the other hand would never consider a new ride, simply for the cost.

So, let's hear your opinions.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,048
There isn't very much in common between the NC700x and the F800R - I think the Honda would make a better commuter stock, though.

No ABS on the manual transmission model.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
you meet the nicest people on a Honda!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Bryster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Wicked 2c

The F800R is a polarising bike, some don't like the band of vibration when you're having fun at 5K, but most use around city/freeway you're under that anyway. Good luggage options on it as well. The NC is a -nice- bike, but thats just it...

F8's got a -little- bit of fun in it, just digging for it at times isn't that hard! Setting mine up for touring and I've got the options pack of computer, tyre pressure and heated bars. Unless he really wants the BMW, I wouldn't disagree the cost would buy bigger in another brand.

Fuelling on the F8 like the NC is really frugal. Handling is sharp. After a GSA, it's like a knife in traffic!

Check out F800riders.org, there's little on the F8 that really springs up as a common problem with the post 08's
Vibration band is small, but you're not always riding around the 5-6K zone, some really notice it, I was never aware until I started hearing about it. Like most things you get used to it.

End of the day if HE likes it, he'll buy it, you only live once!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,239
Wink F800R does the GS Trophy challenge

Turn on the captions if you don't speak french

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlrkT...ature=youtu.be
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
gadgetguy1288
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have a F8R and so far I love it. For me it was a choice between the F8R, Triumph Street Triple, Ducati Monster 796, and the Aprilia Shiver 750.

The Ducati and Aprilia were knocked out of the running for me mainly because the only dealer within 150 miles of me is a complete a$$hole, and has no idea what he is talking about 90% of the time, and doesn't even acknowledge your presence at his dealership if you don't walk in flashing cash everywhere.

/rant

For me, after riding all of the bikes I was looking at, the choice was clear. They all put a smile on my face, but only with F8R was it still there when I got off, lol.

Like previously stated in this thread though, YMMV, he should find dealers that will let him test ride all of the bikes he is considering, and go with what he feels is right for him.
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,433
Well if he's looking for a new mid-sized naked-ish standard, I guess you could add the FZ8, new Strom, and Versys.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
If he's looking at the F800R and NC700X, he should also be looking at the Triumph Street Triple, Triumph Tiger 800 (probably the Roadie), Suzuki DL650, Kawasaki Versys, Ducati Monster 796, Aprilia Shiver, etc.

There's a LOT of bikes crowding this segment, and you could easily spend a year researching and arguing over which to get. I suggest he try to get some seat time on these bikes if at all possible. Something like an NC and Street Triple are VERY different riding experiences. Our opinions are irrelevant if a bike doesn't speak to him. I was excited about the F800 right up until the moment I road one. I was kind of "meh" about the Street Triple right up until I pulled out of the lot to begin the demo (lots of grins). His mileage may vary.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Street trip is a neat bike but id go for the versatility of the tiger roadie. The f800r is neat and is a compelling package but the interweb says too much about spotty reliability and most agree on vibe issues.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
WeRide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
New Bike

Definetely have him check out a 2012 or 2013 Suzuki DL650 VStrom. I have one for a demo right now and really like it. If he's thinking a little more towards a sport bike the Yamaha FZ8 is a great bike. I put 5000 miles on one last summer (my last demo). I even did a 955 mile overnight trip on it!
If I had to choose, the Strom would be my #1. The one thing that really stands out about both of these bikes is that you only have to ride them about 5 miles to fall in love with them. Just my $.02
WeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
DiamondDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I wanted something for a similar mission and chose the F800R. The STriple was in the running, and my dealer was not a dick, but I wanted heated grips and ABS, and the luggage options for the STriple were pretty thin. That was this past summer.

Now the STriple has ABS, heated grips can be done aftermarket, and I don't find the pressing need for bags, so I'd take a long look at the STriple if I were making the decision now.

That said, I'm very happy with the F800R.
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Does he know there will be a new F800RT out soon. It should have nice bags and belt drive. It never made any sense to me that the F800R didn't get belt drive. Anyway, I would check it out if he thinks it looks interesting.

andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
rancox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
F800r

I bought my wife an 2012 F800R - I have a Speed Triple. She does not ride as much as me, so I ride the F quite a bit. I have grown to love that bike. It is so light and handles great. My Speed 3 has Traxxion front end and Penske shock - would love to do same later. Bags are great and heated grips are the hottest I have ever had on any prior BMW. We are at 5000 miles and have averaged -52 + mpg on every tank while railing in the mountains or burning interstate. It is the red/silver combo and I love the looks and design. Chain is better than shaft so that you can adjust gearing if desired. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears - it is a torque monster. I would buy used and save some serious coin. RAC
rancox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I am in this same market and looking at all of these bike and have been spending the better part of a year before I pull the trigger on one. Check your insurance also? My quotes showed that a street triple and nc700x have the same premium on insurance but the fz8 and tiger 800 and f800r would be the same. Good to hear people on the f800r don't feel the vibes has much has some reviews have put out. For me right now bike does commuting better than a nc700x but one the weekend I want to have some fun and don't think it's power band and suspension can keep me happy and that's why I still loom at the street triple and 2013 fz8 or resprung 2011/2012 fz8
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Does he know there will be a new F800RT out soon. It should have nice bags and belt drive. It never made any sense to me that the F800R didn't get belt drive. Anyway, I would check it out if he thinks it looks interesting.
F800GT, actually, and it is out now.

Against an F800R, I'd go Street Triple R.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote