Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #72271
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Yeah, 250 was 2T. For what I sold it for, ($900), I should've kept it and put the forks on my DR.

I'm 59 and been retired 2 years now. ( RichBebe)

Still don't ride as much as I'd like.
And likely won't until the end of February
I rode today and will probably ride Sunday and Tuesday as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #72272
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
If ALL the parts are there (4 cushions, 2 collars and 2 bolts) it won't make any difference how tight the bolts are. The bolts tighten against the collars and the tank rides in the cushions. I suspect the collars are missing.
everything is there, i got new cushions and have the metal colars in them.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #72273
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkscism View Post
Is it realistic that I could find a used bike that is in good enough condition and priced right to beat the $5200 0% brand new bike? Seems unlikely to me. Opinions?
In my opinion, anyone who would buy a new DR650 is either very mechanically ignorant, desperate, or simply not very smart. I know that statement might seem kinda harsh, but you have to realize if you could find a nice 1996 DR650 somewhere, it would be essentially the same motorcycle as a 2012 DR650.

I bought a pretty nice 2000 DR650 late last summer from a really nice guy moving from Nebraska to Flordia (hope things are going well for you Jerry) for $1800. The bike had just a tick over 10,000 miles, which is nothing to a DR motor. The 2000 DR650 I now own was mostly ridden on the street and was very clean and well maintained. While I could have chosen to ride it AS-IS, and simply continue to do routine maintenance; and probably ride it for many years and then re-sell it; I have chosen to take the money I have saved on NOT buying anywhere close to new, and I am in the process of transforming my soon-to-be thirteen year old bike into one that is much better than a new bike at far under what a new bike costs.

You asked our advice, and my advice is to find a well-cared for used DR650, buy it, replace all the consumables it needs, continue to do routine maintenance, ride it, and enjoy it knowing you saved thousands of dollars over someone who bought a new DR650; which as I mentioned is essentially the same bike you will be riding regardless of model year.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #72274
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Thanks all for your replies, your information will help me decide. I ride about 90% off road in high desert and mountain terrain even when I take trips I keep pavement to a bare minimum.
Majority off road, definitely the emulators. I tried both.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #72275
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkscism View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the forum here and new to Dual sport(ing)--can I use that as a verb? Anyways for a brief introduction I'm a nineteen year old college student in Clemson, SC. I' have never ridden street before but I raced MX for most of my childhood and teenage years. Anyways, now that my racing days are over I'm looking for the next best thing and have been looking into dual sport bikes for over a year. From what I've gathered, a DR 650 will fit my needs best. This would involve more street riding than off road with the occasional 100-200 mile trip. I've looked into buying new and used. The best asking price I've found is for a brand new 2012 model asking 5200 on the sticker. Right now (and I'm not sure for how long) Suzuki is offering 0% financing in these. With that being said, I still would consider buying used if it were, say an 04 and up model. Is it realistic that I could find a used bike that is in good enough condition and priced right to beat the $5200 0% brand new bike? Seems unlikely to me. Opinions?
Paid $2500 for mine an 08 that had (get this) 1000 miles on it. Bought it from a dealer and it even came with a warranty. Haggle & shop around a bit and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you can find.

Good luck.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #72276
greener556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
205'd

Maybe EBC's website can help.

I can add this, the 320mm EBC from Procycle, fits my DR650 (duh).

SM6094C
Part #: 1710138
ROTOR EBC ST SM6094C

EU BARCODE 5 || 050953 || 315282 ||
USA BARCODE 0 || 84794 || 30087 || 5

Did a google search with the part number and found what I was looking for.

I did a fork swap so the DR650 part number is way different.

Thanks
greener556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #72277
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
In my opinion, anyone who would buy a new DR650 is either very mechanically ignorant, desperate, or simply not very smart. I know that statement might seem kinda harsh, but you have to realize if you could find a nice 1996 DR650 somewhere, it would be essentially the same motorcycle as a 2012 DR650.
You realize that if everyone stops buying new bikes, you won't be able to find those low mileage gems at a great price.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #72278
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Dr650 and carrying a rifle

Santa brought me a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas. I would like to take it upstate, NY to a friends property to shoot/hunt, and do this on my dr. The problem is, I live in NY, and have to travel through NYC to get there. I can't keep the gun visible without attracting attention. The alternative I'm thinking of is strapping a large duffel bag to the rear rack, and removing the stock from the gun to make it smaller. IIRC the stock is 30" long.

thanks in advance...
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #72279
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Santa brought me a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas. I would like to take it upstate, NY to a friends property to shoot/hunt, and do this on my dr. The problem is, I live in NY, and have to travel through NYC to get there. I can't keep the gun visible without attracting attention. The alternative I'm thinking of is strapping a large duffel bag to the rear rack, and removing the stock from the gun to make it smaller. IIRC the stock is 30" long.

thanks in advance...
Might consider a folding stock like this:

Inexpensive and simple.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #72280
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Thanks all for your replies, your information will help me decide. I ride about 90% off road in high desert and mountain terrain even when I take trips I keep pavement to a bare minimum.
Check your PM, you got mail from a Northern NM FF.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #72281
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,264
Quote:
Definitely go for the RaceTech Emulators. I did mine w/ Emulators and .48 springs and like it a lot. (195lbs without my gear)
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #72282
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post

Ouch!

When I bought my NEW DR (well, year old on the floor) I watched craigslist and such for 3 months for a used DR. Not one to be found then. I got tired of waiting. Plus, I got a bike I know hasn't had someone testing friction additives on clutch disk and such.

Of course, like 2 weeks after I bought mine there was one on CL for $3500. I paid $5000 for a new DR. So I spent $1500 more and had a brand new one. Doesn't seem like an ignorant move to me.

And someone calling me "mechanically ignorant" would be like saying the Pope doesn't know much about religion!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #72283
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
I've carried this on my DR for awhile:

it's a Rossi .22 takedown carbine that shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. It fits easily into a standard paintball gun case as you see in the pic. Also easily fits incognito into a standard duffel, knapsack etc. One of my favorite rifles to shoot besides its extreme portability.

Quote:

thanks in advance...

Weldman screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 12:00 PM
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #72284
suguzzi
Greybeard

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

thanks in advance...
Just so happens I have one new in the box right behind me. I just measured it and it is 29.6" Good luck.
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #72285
Dkscism
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Go Tigers, Beat LSU!

'88 Clemson Grad.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way, I went through the same decision process a little over a year ago and I think the new price at the time here in Charleston was around $5200 as well but don't know what financing was like. I found a completely stock '09 with about 5000 miles on it 2 hours away from here and paid $3800.

If time is not an issue and you have the ability to travel (couple hundred miles) you can probably find a 1-5 year old DR for $3500-4000. I then spent the difference between new and used price on a seat, windscreen, tires, handlebars, exhaust, carb jet, handguards, gas tank, luggage rack, skid plate, engine armor plates,....you get the point!

If your plans are to leave it realtively stock, why not go new. But if your like the rest of us, buy used and save some money to set it up the way you want.
Wow, nice to meet a fellow tiger on the forum! I really think we can beat LSU as long as Tahj shows up. And thanks for the advice; I have been looking on craigslist for a while but I'm in no rush to buy so hopefully something will come up in a couple months.
Dkscism is offline   Reply With Quote