User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #32101
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
While the billet racks look nice, I'm concerned about the small mounting area.
The billet racks are nice. While it's more work, don't rule out making your own mounting for it. I used AL stock and bent it to use some mounting points on the underside of the tail. Then mounted he rack to the AL bar. It's strong enough you can lift the rear of the bike w/ it; it's also a good point to attach straps if you get the bike buried and have to drag it out.

Not the best pic, but you get the idea.

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #32102
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
That's how I did it.

I actually found one of the 17mm nuts on the back side was loose when I did mine, despite them being lock nuts.
Thank you
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #32103
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Thank you

Taking the entire top piece of the triple clamp off is definately the easist solution. That's what I did to
install fat bars and then risers for a scotts sub mount stabilizer.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #32104
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I'm trying to decide what sort of rear rack to put on my WRR. While the billet racks look nice, I'm concerned about the small mounting area. I really like the mounting approach of the TCI Borrego, seems much more distributed/robust. At some point, in addition to the rear rack, I think I'm going to add a Wolfman saddlebag setup with racks. I have several questions for folks who have used any of these.

1) Anyone use a billet rack and had it break the mount point?
2) Anyone use a TCI Borrego AND the wolfman racks?

My plan is to get the Borrego with a hard case bracket and use a small pelican box for around town. Then for longer trips ditch the top case and use a wolfman saddlebag setup along with a dry bag across the top.

Another option would be a Giant loop setup instead of the wolfman, which eliminates any rack conflict, I think.

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.
krussell,
I thought of the same mounting and rack combo a month back but it will not work without some modification;(already had the Wolfman racks mounted) TCI Borega needs the same mounting location. So I got one of the Big racks from
http://www.automotivemachine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=56

If interested in it let me know and I'll show you a pic of it mounted so you can get a more realistic idea of size.

pfy50 screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 08:28 PM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #32105
jrou111
Stair Climber

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
That cover comes off real easy. I took mine off when my site glass was pushed in. Heres what it looks like with the cover off. I reused the gasket and havent had any oil leaks. I wounder if somthing came loose inside the motor and got wedge between the gear and the case?

Update:

I opened up the side case...not good.

Looks like the nut on the counterbalancer backed off and went for a ride, until it got wedged in the gears on the waterpump.

I've got a replacement clutch case cover on the way (complete with waterpump gear), so I think it shouldn't be too difficult to repair. Hopefully.

Anybody seen anything like this on a WR250? Seems pretty uncommon.
jrou111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #32106
1Down-5Up
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I'm trying to decide what sort of rear rack to put on my WRR.
For the cheapie guys out there I used a piece of 3/4 " plywood to replace the tin lid on the Yamaha rear rack.
Nice thing is you can cut them to any shape to experiment. My latest one is cut to fit the Wolfman tail bag.
I have a plywood box for my 68 cc chainsaw that I just screw to the plywood plate and it holds.
I'm going to try a trip with a few overnights so I'll make a bigger one to hold the hammock, bag, and other bulky gear.
In this pic I have my FatMax saw tucked under the bag and the anti-slip stuff contact glued onto it.

1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #32107
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,743
I made my own as well from a scrap piece of .25" aluminum. Picture is before painting. After seeing it my wife said I should have just bought one. Guess she wasn't impressed with my machining skills. I made some aluminum spacers to fit it above the fender of the type that are supplied with the purchased aluminum racks.

FWIW in case it helps someone, I posted a question several pages ago asking about the mounting hole pattern spacing. The front-back spacing is 70mm and the side-side spacing is 50mm.

swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #32108
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
As I remember........... the consensus was that the bike is sprung stiff for the average rider and the rear shock didn't have near enough rebound damping........ even when maxed out. For a light rider like yourself, the lack of rebound damping, and stiff spring makes the problem even worse. The rear wheel hops up in the air when it bounces of rocks, ledges, and roots......... ect. The settings were to try and keep the rear wheel on the ground with the stock suspension. In other words....... the best you can get with what you got. The right spring for your weight and a re-valved rear shock with more rebound damping is what you "Need" but, if that isn't in the cards right away it's a good compromise especially for someone your weight.
Agree with almost all your advise with the exception of more rebound damping. Once I backed off the spring tension & increased the sag the rebound damping seems more than adequate, no more kicking me forward over the front wheel. Too much rebound damping will also keep the rear wheel off the ground & not return quick enough to follow the terrain.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #32109
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrou111 View Post
Update:

After seeing the first picture I figured it would look like that inside. How many miles are on the bike?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #32110
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
After seeing the first picture I figured it would look like that inside.
Yea, me too. The locking tab for the balancer gear nut is laying there in the case. Must not have been bent over all the way, or something. A close up of the locking tab would be nice
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #32111
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
I'm failing here -- I have a WRX and a WRX combo, both in blue.

Any issues with the turbo and the trailer?
Mine is the basic Impreza with 2.5 L engine. Pulls a trailer extremely well for a 4-banger.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #32112
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrou111 View Post
Update:

Looks like the nut on the counterbalancer backed off and went for a ride, until it got wedged in the gears on the waterpump.
I've got a replacement clutch case cover on the way (complete with waterpump gear), so I think it shouldn't be too difficult to repair. Hopefully.

Wow that sucks. Looks like it could have been alot worse. Luckily the case didnt get cracked. Getting ALL that metal out of the motor looks like its going to be the hard part.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #32113
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
For the cheapie guys out there I used a piece of 3/4 " plywood to replace the tin lid on the Yamaha rear rack.
Plastic cutting boards work, too.

As it is, I'm scraping a boot trying to throw a leg over the bike. I'm going with the Automotive Machine & Supply Triangle Rack to keep it a low and contoured profile.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #32114
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213

Really thinking of ordering these side panels... only thing is I don't really feel they are worth the price.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #32115
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
A ride report will come at some stage, but I have been working on the video and thought I would post up Episode 1. A mate and I nailed down a date and set to work on making our dreams of a Cape York ride possible. Two very well set up WR250R's and a lot of planning later and we did it in September of this year.

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for more vids and to keep updated with the latest episodes.

Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote