Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
My silver wing is going on an adventure... Without me!

On Christmas day a young world traveler named Roman came to my house and bought my Silverwing. His plan is to ride through all of the lower 48. Here is his adventure. It's going to take some getting used to seeing my old bike being ridden all over the place.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851480

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
kiznile
Scooter Commuter

Oddometer: 66
sweet!
kiznile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
I subscribed to the thread. Looks like a lot of fun.

I had thoughts about buying your Silverwing myself.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I subscribed to the thread. Looks like a lot of fun.

I had thoughts about buying your Silverwing myself.
It's a fantastic bike, I just wasn't real happy with how it rode two up.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

I did a demo on one a few years ago. Goldwing, VFR, VTX1800, ST1300, and Silverwing right in a row. Had the best time on the Silverwing.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I did a demo on one a few years ago. Goldwing, VFR, VTX1800, ST1300, and Silverwing right in a row. Had the best time on the Silverwing.
St1300, that's a bike I need to try.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
That's awesome...
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
St1300, that's a bike I need to try.
Didn't do much for me. Love the looks, and I know that it is an awesome piece of engineering but just dull.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Thread Jack!!!!!!!!

Domromer,

Here is a copy of a review I did several years ago on a few bikes. You will see my impressions of the ST1300 and the Silverwing.

Over the course of the last several months I have been attending various Demo Days and riding as many bikes as I could. I am not really in the market for a new bike but I am interested in what is out there. In my mind I think I want some sort of small Sport Tourer or Dual Purpose type bike. Anyway here is what I have ridden and what I thought about each bike.

2007 Harley V-Rod Street Rod: This was my 1st real ride on a Harley, other than about a mile on a friends 2001 Sportster 883. What can I say? Very nice engine…smooth, powerful, good sounds. Why does Harley not put this engine in its complete line??? The bike was very well made and I really wanted to like it. The bike I rode had the mid pegs. They were too far back and too high for me. I was not comfortable at all on the bike. I felt that I was leaning over the front wheel. Some of the other V-rods have a more relaxed riding position and I think I would have liked one of them better. Overall I was very impressed with the V-rod line up.

2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe: Man where do I start with this one? It was absolutely beautiful. White and blue with white wall tires. I loved the looks of it. I felt instantly at home on the bike. It felt like a slightly larger version of my 2001 ACE 750. The only think I would change would be to slide the seat back about 2 inches. This was my 1st experience with a heel toe shifter. So far I am not a big fan of this arrangement. It seems to restrict my foot placement too much. I wear a size 11 boot and had to think about getting my foot back in between the shifter all the time. Just something else to distract me. Anyway I ended up just using my toe like normal. Another marvelous engine from Harley. Smooth at idle and underway. I left wanting to take this bike home with me.

2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Street Bob: I was not really interested in riding this bike but at a demo day sometimes you have to ride what is available. I didn’t really care for the look of the bike especially after just getting of the Softail Deluxe. My 1st impression was that the bars were at a very uncomfortable angle. More for looks than for comfort or leverage. Almost like mini apes. Then I started the bike and forgot all about the bars. WTF? Was there something wrong with this thing? Why was it shaking so much? What did you say? It is supposed to be like this? Why? I felt like I had just talked the guy in the paint department at Home Depot into letting me ride on the paint mixer. Why would anybody buy one of these things? As I rode it the motor smoothed out but every time I slowed down it started shaking again. I just don’t get it. No way, no how. Why not put the V-rod engine in this bike? Or even the smooth one in the Softail.

2008 BMW F 800 ST: Nice bike but did not really leave much of an impression. Very forgettable. I never did get comfortable on this bike. I was leaned over too far and the thin grips made my wrists and palms hurt. I should mention that one of the reasons the bike didn’t leave much of an impression was the Demo ride. It was very cold and windy that day. The ride leader was an idiot. He rode way too fast for testers on bikes they had never been on. He even passed a car on an onramp to get on the highway. I was so busy concentrating on the ride that I never really got a chance to get a good impression of the bike.

2008 BMW R 1200 RT: WOW!!! What a bike. I absolutely loved this bike. Very Comfortable. Everything just fit. It was very cold and I loved the heated grips and seat. The power shield was also pretty cool. I could adjust it so that I got lots of breeze or hardly any at all. The boxer engine was great. It may not be the most powerful or the smoothest engine out there but there was just something about it. It kind of reminded me of a small block Chevy V8. There may be better engines out there in other bikes but the boxer just had the power right were I needed it. Lots of character. Did I mention that I really liked this bike?

2008 Victory Vision Street: I really did not know what to expect with this bike. My 1st impression was that if felt very light and well balanced. It had lots of nice features and was very comfortable. The floorboards were huge so I could really stretch out. It was nice to be able to move my feet around while riding. Very good wind management. I could move the power shield and get almost no wind on me. The 106” motor had plenty of power. I turned on the radio and just cruised. It was almost like I was in a car. This is a bike made for long distance riding. I really did enjoy the bike and snuck in a 2nd Demo ride on one.

2008 Victory Kingpin Tour: Another very nice bike from Victory. Good power and smooth delivery. Nice leather wrapped hard bags. I was comfortable on this bike, but it did not leave much of an impression. If I was interested in a bike like this I think I would head over to the Harley dealership.

2008 Honda ST 1300: This is a bike that I really wanted to like. Before I got on it I thought it was going to be everything I ever wanted or needed in a bike. After I got off…not so much. Yes, it was very smooth and with plenty of power but it just did not excite me. This was my 1st ride on a V-4 bike. I had heard a lot about how good they sound. It sounded like a sewing machine to me. Where was the awesome sound? Maybe I am getting old, but I was leaned over a lot more than I was expecting. I wanted the bars to be up and back a couple of inches. I also thought the clutch pull was too hard and the grips were too thin. This was not nearly as comfortable as the R1200RT. It was also very heavy. In the end I got off the ST1300 slightly disappointed.

2008 Honda Goldwing: What can I say about the Wing? I had always wanted to ride a Goldwing. My 1st impression was that it, of course, was very comfortable. Lot’s of buttons and controls that I was not familiar with. When I lifted it up off the side stand it was heavy but not nearly as much as I was thinking it would be. Very impressive. My ride started at I was surprised at how little legroom I had. I never thought I would say this but I felt a little cramped on the wing. My knees were very close to the dash. I was also a little disappointed that a bike with this much touring ability had pegs instead of some kind of floorboards. The Victory Vision was much better set up in respect to being able to move around and not be locked into one place. That being said once you are underway everything just flat works. This is one incredible machine.

2008 Honda VTX N: My 1st impression was that it seemed very familiar. Everything was very similiar to my 2001 ACE 750. So I felt instantly at home on the bike. This is the only bike that I didn’t have to look at my hands to control things like the start button and the turn signals. They are exactly the same as on my current bike. The bike had nice floor boards and a heel toe shifter which as I already explained I am not a fan of. Lifting it up off the stands was work. This bike is heavy but once underway it works very well. Lots of torque. I hardly ever felt the need to shift because it had plenty of power no matter how fast I was going or what gear I was in. Lots of nice chrome. Overall a very nice cruiser but for the money not that much different from my 750.

2008 Honda Silverwing: This is another bike I really wanted to ride. I am very intrigued by the new “Big” scooters. Let me say it and get it out of the way up front. “This 600cc scooter will dust my 750 cruiser every which way from Sunday.” Calling this thing a scooter is just crazy. This thing is a motorcycle 100%, it is just a different body style. Ok, now on to the bike. It felt very light and well balanced. Good wind protection and as I already said, plenty of motor. At 1st the handgrips seemed very close together but I quickly got used to that and was really quite comfortable. Lots of lockable storage under the seat. I had no complaints about the automatic transmission. It made me realize that the new wave of automatic transmission bikes on the way will be a good thing. I just really had fun on this thing. I was grinning the whole time. I am 37 and married with 4 kids. Who am I trying to impress? This really is exactly what I need for 99% of my riding.

2008 Honda Interceptor: This is another bike I really wanted to ride. I have lusted after VFR’s for years. After riding it I can say that it really is all that. Unlike the ST1300 this thing sounds awesome. I would have to raise and pull back the bars and change the grips to something fatter. Other than that this thing was really nice. The main drawback is that I would probably get too many tickets. This thing just makes you want to ride fast. Very impressive overall package.

Ok, those are the bikes I have ridden fairly recently at Demo Days. What did I learn? I learned how much I like my current bike. Yes the bikes were nice, but none of them made me want to take on a bike payment. If I had to ride across the country on the interstate which one would I take? The Victory Vision. Across the county on back roads? The BMW R1200RT. Which one worked best for my everyday life? The Silverwing. Which one can I see myself owning some day? The Goldwing and the Silverwing. All that being said, at this point I am lusting after a WeeStrom or a Versys as my next bike. Now where can I find a Demo Ride on one of these…

Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

I like the look of the older version. Pre 03 I think. I'm in total flux with my bikes currently. I don't know what I want from one day to the next. Long distance, two up in comfort. That's what I need. Vstrom doesn't do it for me. So I'm looking at a bunch of different bikes. I'm trying to decide while it's the winter and still a buyer's market.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

You thinking about getting rid of the Strom?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Eventually, just not sure with what yet. Everything on my list is like twice the price so that gives me pause.