Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #736
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
www.pujcarterracing.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
And I agree about 690 Replicas, a mate recently acquired this to race next years Tuareg on.... loverly!

If I was a betting man, I would say that was Justin Carter's old bike!
http://www.pujcarterracing.com/
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #737
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,004
KTM is not dropping rally although the bike and team dynamics may change up a bit.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #738
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
KTM is not dropping rally although the bike and team dynamics may change up a bit.
But are there any options that haven't been speculated on as yet?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #739
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Options Oh, Yeah

How will all of this spill out into the Husqvarna/Speedbrain masterplan? I've talked with a couple of their corporate guys that really want to increase their Rally exposure here in the US.

Or the Chinese--A couple of their engineers didn't understand a word of English I said to them at a trade show until I asked about Dakar. What exactly are they up to?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #740
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,223
From Manuel's FB page:

"Picking up the spare engine in Udine, will be a challenge to bring it on the plane as luggage"

Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #741
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,970
Quote:
No team riders, offering support packages for paying customers?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #742
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
No team riders, offering support packages for paying customers?
No, as I understand it, they are developing a new/revised bike testing the EFI now. Coma is said to continue and then may move into a management or team owner role. KTM has been wildly successful in rally and they are keen to continue that but it remains to be seen how long they can hold off HRC or Husky. KTM is reacting a little late to developing new talent to replace Despres and Coma for the long term. They started with Aubert, Balooshi, and Zanol last year but I guess weren't happy with their progress. From what I gather, Aubert wanted to do Dakar again, but KTM suggested he pay the $100K customer price for a competitive ride. That says the world about how much they see him as a future rally rider.

We'll see how Caselli gets on with it. He may be great, I am not sure about his worldwide appeal for the future of KTM though. Rally is just not big enough in the US that I can see a US winner becoming a global star like Coma or Despres.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #743
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Presuming Coma rides another couple of years (with Cyril?)....well as you mentioned it doesn't give much time to source and mold some talent. A few names of potential aliens come to mind though....time will tell I suppose.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #744
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
So the question is, how do you get Americans into rally. I had no interest in racing at all until seeing a rally race. I think it is above and beyond other forms of racing, especially going round and round an asphalt track. Not meaning to offend, just my opinion.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #745
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
So the question is, how do you get Americans into rally. I had no interest in racing at all until seeing a rally race. I think it is above and beyond other forms of racing, especially going round and round an asphalt track. Not meaning to offend, just my opinion.
Surely an American Dakar winner would be the best way to raise the profile of the sport in the US? It's still relatively unknown in the UK (although a lot better known than it used to be).
Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #746
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
No, as I understand it, they are developing a new/revised bike testing the EFI now. Coma is said to continue and then may move into a management or team owner role. KTM has been wildly successful in rally and they are keen to continue that but it remains to be seen how long they can hold off HRC or Husky. KTM is reacting a little late to developing new talent to replace Despres and Coma for the long term. They started with Aubert, Balooshi, and Zanol last year but I guess weren't happy with their progress. From what I gather, Aubert wanted to do Dakar again, but KTM suggested he pay the $100K customer price for a competitive ride. That says the world about how much they see him as a future rally rider.

We'll see how Caselli gets on with it. He may be great, I am not sure about his worldwide appeal for the future of KTM though. Rally is just not big enough in the US that I can see a US winner becoming a global star like Coma or Despres.

Latest interview I read from Johnny Aubert is that Ktm wanted him to focus on his enduro season. I guess according to him his Dakar affected his training this year. "The rallye is my future everybody knows that but right now we decided to focus 100% to go and get another title". I guess If you put yourself in KTM shoes they may feel like that they do not need to spread out their E2 title contender as they have already 2 of the best guys out there to secure a Dakar win. Granted with Coma out they are left with one... We will see what happen, this is going to be a fun dakar!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #747
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier View Post
If I was a betting man, I would say that was Justin Carter's old bike!
http://www.pujcarterracing.com/
No bets you are quite correct

Regarding Aubert...

He was interviewed by TBM magazine here in the UK last year and it seems he had a real struggle to get KTM to allow him to race the Dakar in 2012 due to them wanting him to concentrate on the WEC, so not surprising they were not keen on funding another entry for 2013

MY BLOG
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #748
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
You need a US rider and the US systems applied and the sport would lift off in the US.

This ONLY means Johnny Campbell. His personality is proven at team management and developing awesome riders.

The HRC Japanese engineers would do or make almost anything for him. He might be 41 but he brings an awesome history.

Troy safari is probably better qualified to make this point but I see a time when the crf450 base sled is used like the old xr600 sled was - in every dam event on the globe. To win. Safaris. Dakar. Anything else?

I think the new 450x base is going to be the start of the (long awaited) fightback by Honda for global domination managed and led by none other than JC himself.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #749
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
Awesome

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #750
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Holy bromance Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
You need a US rider and the US systems applied and the sport would lift off in the US.

This ONLY means Johnny Campbell. His personality is proven at team management and developing awesome riders.

The HRC Japanese engineers would do or make almost anything for him. He might be 41 but he brings an awesome history.

Troy safari is probably better qualified to make this point but I see a time when the crf450 base sled is used like the old xr600 sled was - in every dam event on the globe. To win. Safaris. Dakar. Anything else?

I think the new 450x base is going to be the start of the (long awaited) fightback by Honda for global domination managed and led by none other than JC himself.

Closed Thread