Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Dan Kyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpuma13 View Post
I hope I didnt catch this thread too late! Im not very knowledgeable about the suspension system so must rely on suggestion.

I have an 08 gs that is ridden about 85% on road and 15% off road mostly farm roads but sometimes random backwoods trails I find that can become quite jarring sometimes. The serious trail riding is pretty rare like less than 2% of all riding but I dont want to break the shock when I find myself out there and not have the right one.

95% of all riding is done solo me weighing in at around 190 with gear on. The bike will usually have full cases installed. I wouldnt mind if the bike was lowered an inch or thereabouts but not higher. I barely touch the tiptoes of my feet if i dual foot and while I do use one foot most of the time, backing out of a slight incline in a parking space with the balls of your feet is a little annoying.

What would you suggest for my bike? Will an occasional two-up ride be an issue? If it's not too much, let me know the worst all the way through to the absolute best option (besides ESA as I am not about to convert my bike for that).

Thanks a bunch !!
The best option are the New Ohlins TTX shocks, the BM676 and BM677.

These are very good for ride quality, very good for both on road and off road, and do have a Hydraulic spring preload adjuster for adding luiggage or a passenger.

The Next best are the Ohlins BM543 and BM437. The BM543 can be used both on and off road, it Uses a progressive damping system with twin pistons like the BM542 listed in post 35.

The next pair are the BM436 and BM437, these are meant for road use only

All the shocks above are the same length as the stock shocks, and are not going to be any lower than the stock shocks. And on the BM543 rear and BM437, a little higher.

Ohlins does make a shorter set of shocks for the R1200GS, they are the BM508 and BM509, these are the same as the BM436 and BM437 with a reduced stroke, less rear wheel travel, these are abouut the same ride height as the stock shocks.

Thanks, Dan
Dan Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote