User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #9706
Seventh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Dying GS

Had some free time today to take the bike apart. The short of it is I didn't find anything wrong with the harness, so I pulled the injector and am going to replace it. Here's the vid:

http://youtu.be/pownRBCozpI

Is that a standard 2004 BMW F650GS injector? It doesn't look like the one in the manual. If it's a replacement, does anyone know the make and part number?

@divimon2000, i don't seem to see the circlip, mine might have fallen off. Worse comes to worse, the sidestand switch seems disabled. Went through the visible harness and it seems okay. I pulled the injector, and it seems to have some crud in it. I haven't touched the coil yet.

@WayneC1, thanks for the instructions - checked the common chafing points, and didn't find anything. I can't seem to find the diodes, will check the manual.

@baams, thanks, that doesn't seem to be it - jiggled the wires and no GS death. I haven't taken the ignition assemble apart yet though.

@jpkailua, nope - it still dies with the gas cap open.

@everyone, appreciate the help. Will let you know if a new injector fixes things.

Seventh screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 12:05 AM
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #9707
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,046
The injectors are standard items, BMW use Bosch and the Bosch No should be on the unit, there are cheaper aftermarket units. The 650X shares the same unit as the GS and the X runners are fitting a higher flow rate unit to improve performance with some good results. There is a thread on advrider about the tests and results

The Part No's (BMW and Bosch) for the stock unit are in this doc on page 4 http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/.../GSECUInfo.pdf
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #9708
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Both the ignition switch and RHS switch cluster are known to get broken wiring, well covered at F650, search over there

What you are saying though is it stalls at idle and has flat spot about the point the BMS moves from closed loop to open loop. I would look at the idle actuator & ensure it is clean plus check the o2 sensor and wiring, problems with these are also known to give symptoms like you describe
Also check the whole lenght of the throttle cable to ensure it is running freely and not giving a false zero when starting.

Mine did when the little rubber piece on the cable between the cable sheath and the thottle housing moved on the cable and got caught on the throttle housing causing the butterfly/ air intake to stay open a couple of mm's even if the throttle was shut at the handlebar. Would run when I gave it gas, but died as soon as I let go. Easy fix, but I just stubled upon the culprit by chance though.

It's been a while since I've seen my bike, let alone taken the whole top of, but I believe this picture shows the rear of the throttle housing as it is mounted to the top rear of the engine. On top goes the rubber ring that connects the air box/ intake with the throttle body. The throttle cable comes in from the left through bracket #4. the rubber piece sits on the cable between #4 and the housing. I don't think the plastic bit where the cable attaches is actually in the drawing though and I can't find any pictures of it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=13&fg=54

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !

Gravel Seeker screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 06:18 AM Reason: typo
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #9709
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Battery relocation

The sycl 4.6 battery drops right in with the anderson connector.
No modification needed. An extension cable 8awg of about a meter is needed to reach to the new place.
Herrhelmet is excellent seller. Fast response and willing to help me out with my enquiries.
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #9710
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Is that a standard 2004 BMW F650GS injector? It doesn't look like the one in the manual. If it's a replacement, does anyone know the make and part number?
Try this- it is a BMW injector available in the USA at NAPA stores (yes, I know you're not in the US). Part number is 13559, and hopefully it cross-references.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #9711
Road Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post

heres a pic of the bottom of the seat pan i cut to clear the battery.
Thanks Kubiak
Road Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #9712
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Had some free time today to take the bike apart. The short of it is I didn't find anything wrong with the harness, so I pulled the injector and am going to replace it. Here's the vid:

http://youtu.be/pownRBCozpI

Could this have anything to do with the ecu switching between open loop / closed loop at a certain RPM? The only other thing I could think of would be an issue with the fuel pump...
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #9713
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Seventh

The Diodes are in the green relay looking box.
CHeck chafing one more time behind the "L" bracket where the shock adjuster is
If you havent, check the fuel pump wires where they connect to the top. Notoriously short causing breakage
I wish you were closer, we could swap parts, but then again you'll have a good set of spares next time!
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #9714
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Seventh

Oh, and the injector looks correct but check it here against your BMS software:
http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/FuelInjec...tware Versions
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #9715
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dirt View Post
Thanks Kubiak
you are welcome Road Dirt!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #9716
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

call me crazy but im looking to lower the dakar a little and was wondering if i used a standard f650gs shock in place of my dakar shock would that be all i need or do i need the linkage too? and how much would that lower the rear? thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #9717
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,600
Koubalink lowering links would be a lot easier. Drop the forks an inch to match and you're done. Fast and simple. I'm doing this to Mrs1911fan's GS650 before we start riding again in the spring.

http://www.koubalink.com/bmwdakar.html

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #9718
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
call me crazy but im looking to lower the dakar a little and was wondering if i used a standard f650gs shock in place of my dakar shock would that be all i need or do i need the linkage too? and how much would that lower the rear? thanks in advance.
Price it out Kubiak. I agree, you should just be able to use a link and drop the front. "IF" you find you need more I have a std GS shock and forks (although I still think you could just drop yours the diff) and 19" front avail.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #9719
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
I have a set of Kouba 1" lowering links I am using currently and want to switch back to stock but can't seem to find them (it's been two years, so likely they are gone...)

Care to trade?

I also have the 2" Kouba links that I used for a short time that I've not been able to sell, so you can have them for shipping cost.

Let me know.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #9720
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Koubalink lowering links would be a lot easier. Drop the forks an inch to match and you're done. Fast and simple. I'm doing this to Mrs1911fan's GS650 before we start riding again in the spring.

http://www.koubalink.com/bmwdakar.html

1911fan
good idea 1911fan i will check into that!