Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #2116
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,261
The biggest benefit I found with using the App was the ability to do the settings and manage files all from the screen.
I can never get thru the Hero menu buttons without going out and back in a few times.

A negative- While running the Wifi on my Thunderbolt my phone drops off the data network.

Has anybody figured if we can record on our phones from the GoPro?
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #2117
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
A negative- While running the Wifi on my Thunderbolt my phone drops off the data network.

Has anybody figured if we can record on our phones from the GoPro?
Your phone can only use one WiFi connection at a time so that's why it drops your data network but what bugs me more than this is the fact that the WiFi backpack is active while charging. Often I'll charge it overnight, boot my WiFi'd computer in the morning and wonder why I don't get the network on my computer, and it's because the computer connects to the backpack before trying my WiFi router.

Wish there was a way to turn off WiFi on the charger while charging...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #2118
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
The biggest benefit I found with using the App was the ability to ... manage files all from the screen.

What file management can you do from the app? Just delete Last or All? Or is there more?
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #2119
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Your phone can only use one WiFi connection at a time so that's why it drops your data network but what bugs me more than this is the fact that the WiFi backpack is active while charging. Often I'll charge it overnight, boot my WiFi'd computer in the morning and wonder why I don't get the network on my computer, and it's because the computer connects to the backpack before trying my WiFi router.

Yeah I notice the bacpac is on while charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
What file management can you do from the app? Just delete Last or All? Or is there more?
That's all. Didn't mean to imply more. Mostly having easy access to the settings is the big benefit.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #2120
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Hi Stuart, still trying to decide between the gpblack and drift ghost, and still reading all I can on the subject

Just curious. Why would you need to preview the screen when trying to film the action? Would you not just make sure it's lined up before you start shooting then concentrate on riding the bike??

Also if you go with the screen option on the GP does this mean you can also have the spare battery attached at the same time or is it one or the other?

Interested to know your thoughts on how long the battery lasts on the GP3 Black?

If I get one I was going to have the battery backpack attached with wifi and remote working. How long would you get from this?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I also got a GP3 Black for Christmas. And I have now learned that some earlier info I posted from my brother was wrong. Namely, with the Android app, you DO see the camera preview both before you start recording video AND during the recording of video. My brother had told me that he only got the preview before he started recording and then preview (in the Android app) would stop once he started recording.

What I have now seen is that preview does work while recording. But, when you start recording, the preview does blank out for 1 - 2 seconds before it comes back. And the preview lags behind the camera by a similar amount. In other words, if I am recording and watching the preview and I move the camera, it takes a second or so before the preview screen shows the camera movement. If you're using the Android app to preview the screen while trying to film any kind of action, it's probably just not going to work well enough for you. This has now got me seriously considering getting the LCD Bacpac.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #2121
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,331
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post

Interested to know your thoughts on how long the battery lasts on the GP3 Black?

1:10 1080P/60 (properly charged)

If I get one I was going to have the battery backpack attached with wifi and remote working. How long would you get from this?

2~2.5hrs

Cheers
@
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #2122
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thanks for answers, very helpful and useful.

I presume the times above are the same even if for example you would just want to record say 10 mins for every 1/2 hr of riding and not leaving it on record all the time?

Want to record when I get to the trails only.

Thanks again.
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #2123
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Thanks for answers, very helpful and useful.

I presume the times above are the same even if for example you would just want to record say 10 mins for every 1/2 hr of riding and not leaving it on record all the time?

Want to record when I get to the trails only.

Thanks again.
I can't speak for the H3. I can tell you with my H2 the battery time is the same whether recording or not. ON is ON.
I get about 2.5 hrs on a single battery with the H2. I wonder what I will get with it powering the wifi back too.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #2124
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
I can't speak for the H3. I can tell you with my H2 the battery time is the same whether recording or not. ON is ON.
I get about 2.5 hrs on a single battery with the H2. I wonder what I will get with it powering the wifi back too.
The wifi back has it's own battery.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #2125
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The wifi back has it's own battery.
And after it runs out it will revert to the internal H2 battery. Tomorrow I'll be on a 300+ mile road trip. That would be about 8-10 hours on the road. I'm not sure how this will work out on batteries. I might just use the wifi to do the setup on the bike. Then swap back to the bacpac. I haven't cut up any cases yet to run external power to the unit.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #2126
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

While it wouldn't turn off the wi-fi from the bacpac, there should be an option on your computer to automatically connect when the network is in-range. Uncheck this box and your computer should not automatically connect.
"I'm going to play with ninjas, you go to the kitchen."
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #2127
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
While it wouldn't turn off the wi-fi from the bacpac, there should be an option on your computer to automatically connect when the network is in-range. Uncheck this box and your computer should not automatically connect.
I'm on a Mac - was not able to find a way to turn off the automatic connection to it so I just removed the GoPro WiFi network connection completely from the Airport Network Preferences. I didn't really see any reason to leave it in there.

My normal network connection isn't "visible" so the GoPro one always connected first but I don't think I'll see that now.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #2128
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
The H2s are about 2x better than the H3B battery-wise, my H3B won't work as I intended because of the battery. I'll be modding it to accept external power.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #2129
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Okay, let the beatings commence:

Looking for actual use/guidance on how many photos and qty. of video (with the default settings) can be had on a 32gb micro SD in the Hero 3...

I'm sure this has been covered before, so thank you in advance for the redundancy...

Tim
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #2130
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,065
Mounting on helmet?

So I'm working with the new Hero2 I rec'd for Xmas. One mounting point will be Teletubby style on top of the lid. Problem is I wear a Nolan N90 flip up. The top edge of the visor goes waaaaaay back when the chinbar is raised.

I haven't tested the camera on the helmet yet. Anyone have any experience in mounting this far back?

Thanks.