Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 509 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #26611
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Some weirdo....really, Weirdo, has set up a Strava thread as to not clutter up the cycling thread. There's no shortage of irony there is it?

See it here.
I'm here to help!

3400 miles this year. Planning 4600 for 2013 (7500 km)

Better get started early.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #26612
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I'm here to help!

3400 miles this year. Planning 4600 for 2013 (7500 km)

Better get started early.
I had just under 5000 Garmin-documented miles. I'm certain I exceeded 5000 total since I didn't have the Garmin on several rides that werent logged. In that, I probably have four or so 200+ miles days and two 250 mile days. I may brave an event and try to break 300-350 miles in a single day in late 2013.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #26613
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
I had just under 5000 Garmin-documented miles. I'm certain I exceeded 5000 total since I didn't have the Garmin on several rides that werent logged. In that, I probably have four or so 200+ miles days and two 250 mile days. I may brave an event and try to break 300-350 miles in a single day in late 2013.
That's impressive. Especially for those of us that have jobs. Winter months around here it's hard to get the larger milage in with the weather and road conditions. Yesterday I did a short ride and ended up on an icy road which was a little terrifying for a while. The best that I was doing once the season turned last year was 600 miles a month. Plan is to get on it early and ride on the shitty days too, hopefully it just is wet and not snowy for the remainder of the winter. We'll see how it goes.
I'd like to have a large jump on the other local riders come spring, some of the boys put the hurt on me last year a bunch of times and that didn't sit too well with me, so I'm motivated to say the least.

I just got the Garmin 500 this fall and love it. We got my brother one for his birthday and I immediately had gear envy, so had to get one myself. I have it set up on both my bikes so I hope not to miss any rides. The wet bike is getting all the love for now and will until April.

300 to 350 miles in a day is beyond epic. We're planning a 250 KM day ride this summer and thought that was ambitious. Although its a cross ride on dirt, it still ain't no 350 miles.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #26614
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 634
You guys are ANIMALS!!!

Quote:
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #26615
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
That's impressive. Especially for those of us that have jobs.
I still work. I think. I doubt I do more 60-70 miles a week. The miles stack up in the brevets. If my cardiologist and wife gives me the go-ahead on the 8th, the first century is Jan 13 and then the brevets start at about one event a month. I'll attempt another 1200-km event in early May.

I have a huge advantage in that I can year-round too to your point.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #26616
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
5,000 miles is a Ton! Very impressive. I finished the year with just over 3,000 miles, not including the Mtn bike. So a good year for me. We are planning a NYD ride, but will see how the roads are, as it's dumping close to 8 inches of snow right now...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #26617
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Are you going to add an auxilary power source, to keep your Garmin going?

Quote:
I doubt I do more 60-70 miles a week.
I'm starting to think your mental toughness, having a partner (to some extent), and 'bent all contribute to you being able turn such big miles on so few of training miles.

I was averaging ~200mi per week, with a best of just over 400mi. I know there's no way I could do what you do, without someone for moral support, on a diamond frame.

What you do/have done is truly an accomplishment.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #26618
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
geez, i've done all of about 250 miles *total* (per my bike odometer) since my cast came off in October.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #26619
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Are you going to add an auxilary power source, to keep your Garmin going?

I'm starting to think your mental toughness, having a partner (to some extent), and 'bent all contribute to you being able turn such big miles on so few of training miles.

I was averaging ~200mi per week, with a best of just over 400mi. I know there's no way I could do what you do, without someone for moral support, on a diamond frame.

What you do/have done is truly an accomplishment.
I use a 4-battery aux pack with a plug that matches the Garmin. Works like a charm and it doesn't drive a reboot when you plug it in.

Pls allow me to disagree with you. I'll bet you that anyone....ANYONE... who can ride a century in 7 - 8 hours can ride any of the rides I did. It's all in having a bike that's comfortable, having a bit of nutrition, knowing how to pace and being mentally-prepared.

Someone actually asked for my advice today....and I posted some comments today here.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #26620
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
And by mental toughness, he means crazier than an outhouse rat. In a good way.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #26621
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
And by mental toughness, he means crazier than an outhouse rat. In a good way.
90% of any brevet is 50% mental.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #26622
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
I still work. I think.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you didn't work, I was implying that you did.

I'm hoping for a move this year to Victoria (British Columbia) It's the epicentre of road cycling in Canada. Year round riding there and great roads. A lot of my training is in prep to keep even close to the lads down there.

In late summer I was there and did a 100 mile ride with the boys and got fully schooled. I didn't pull once, just hung on to the wheel of who ever was in the back and tried to keep up all day. It was humiliating to a degree, but over beers was given some props by other riders for even keeping up to those lads. Still I'd like to be able to hang with those boys and take my turn pulling. I have a lot of work to do.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #26623
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't implying that you didn't work, I was implying that you did.

I'm hoping for a move this year to Victoria (British Columbia) It's the epicentre of road cycling in Canada. Year round riding there and great roads. A lot of my training is in prep to keep even close to the lads down there.

In late summer I was there and did a 100 mile ride with the boys and got fully schooled. I didn't pull once, just hung on to the wheel of who ever was in the back and tried to keep up all day. It was humiliating to a degree, but over beers was given some props by other riders for even keeping up to those lads. Still I'd like to be able to hang with those boys and take my turn pulling. I have a lot of work to do.
Hanging on is always the first step. Once you know you can hang on, the rest is just details.

M
...I've been dropped more times than I can count
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #26624
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Hanging on is always the first step. Once you know you can hang on, the rest is just details.

M
...I've been dropped more times than I can count
Me too. A great way to increase your speed is to ride with faster riders. It's the same with any sport....seek out better players and try to hang.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #26625
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Me too. A great way to increase your speed is to ride with faster riders. It's the same with any sport....seek out better players and try to hang.

So True. Unfortunately I did 5500 km this year, my friend, Dan, in Vic did over 10 K and the his brother in law Tom did about 20 K and they're both younger than me (I'm 44). Realistically I just want to keep up to those dudes. With a full time job 7500 km is a lofty goal for me, but reachable.

Part of my plan is to shed some pounds ( or KGs ) to try to make my power to weight go in the right direction. I used to be in the 195 range with a lot of time spent at the gym. These days I'm in the 183 range and would like to get down to 175 for the spring.

Right now I'm riding by myself, in the dark, in the rain and snow. It really sucks some days, but others it's still fantastic.

Strange days indeed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: