Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #271
devans101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
$300? info on that deal please. I would be all over them at that price.
They are $370 now with shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIDI-Adventu...item53f1e3769e

When I bought them them from the same place they were $300.
devans101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #272
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
I finally decided to get some waterproof boots and bribed Santa to get me some. Sidi adventure Gore-tex, nice stuff, great fit. I have been wearing size 46 lately and that's what I ordered. They seem narrow up front but was fine for me.
Exactly. I wore size 46 and ordered the same. The seemed narrow up front too.

Wait about 2 years when they've shrunk a bit and you go for that day ride and the UNBELIEVABLE pain starts in your little toes. You'll regret the narrow toe box then.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #273
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Exactly. I wore size 46 and ordered the same. The seemed narrow up front too.

Wait about 2 years when they've shrunk a bit and you go for that day ride and the UNBELIEVABLE pain starts in your little toes. You'll regret the narrow toe box then.
I put together some odds and ends that I have in my junk boxes and made some inserts to widen the area of my instep. They have to be forced in and I leave 'em in there especially when I come home with wet boots. Makes them very comfortable for my wide feet.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #274
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

It took 2 years and 13,000 miles on the Husky to wear out the right foot sole, almost didn't catch it in time, I get the boots back Friday, will post up pics of the $80 re-sole with Vibram continuous soles from my regular boot place.

original sole

replacement sole from standard boot repair shop
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #275
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Damn, real happy with the Vibram soles the local cobbler put on, they are the thickest sole in stock, my toe caps would not even fit back on the toes, I chose the thickest sole they had, in case the sole does not hold up well under the conditions. I feel like I have a new pair of boots that are well broken in!

AustinJake screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 03:56 PM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #276
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,207
Well my Sidi Crossfires are over 2 yrs old, indestructible, the ultimate in protection, still waterproof, still showing almost no marks or damage despite serious off road (not Adventure) riding. But they have shrunk - or something. I have removed the innersole, but it is still not enough. They are now so tight across the front I can't wear them for longer than 2 hours.
I've ordered some Gaernes. They have a wider toe box. They arrive tomorrow, I will be glad to never have to wear the Sidi's again. At least now I'll be able to stand up and use the rear brake again.

Sidi's. Good if you have a foot shaped like Julia Gillard's nose.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #277
basketcase
Banned

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Since there seems to be a lot of people wearing SIDI boots...

Can you post which model of SIDI you wear.
Where you bought them from?
Price paid?
What type of use?
Pros?
Cons?

What you would change about them?
And if possible a picture of your SIDI?

What size sneaker do you usually wear and what size boot did you get?

Reason why I'm asking, I'm about a week from buying a boot and leaning towards the SIDI Charger Boots.
They will be for DP use...

Thanks!
Old thread but what the heck...

Aerostich Combat Touring Boots, made by Sidi for RiderWearhouse.

Bought a size 8.5 and it fits perfectly, same as my sneaks in the same size.

Caught them on sale several years ago and paid ... something like $289 plus shipping.

Pro's - a tough multi-purpose boot, meaning they are suitable for the light off road I do, for any of the pavement riding I do, and for occasional yard work.

Con's - the dang things are heavy, took forever to break in, and are heavy. They are stiff and for a while any new owner of these boots walks like a drunker sailor. It took me a while to feel shifting was natural and unstrained. Did I mention that they took forever to break in?

Seriously, I was about fed up with them and thinking of selling and going another direction when I did a couple of days yard work in them, including walking on my sloped residential lot pushing my trim mower. The flex motion of walking and straining while working hillsides and grades helped "tip" them enough towards broken in that I decided not to take the loss on a sale. After the various break-in trick and several thousand miles of riding the DR and the Wing they are no longer a distraction while shifting.

What would I change? Two things -

First, as soon as I got them I did the waterproofing routine with the stuff they sell at RiderWearhouse. If I had it to do over I would forget that and spend the first year working with a good quality black shoe polish to soften and oil the leather. That, I think, would enhance the break-in and besides - the thickness of the leather means it is going to have to be a prolonged torrent for one to get wet in these boots.

Next, the moto-cross type sole that I ordered was a huge disappointment. Since I had ridden with the boots and gotten them dusty I did not feel I could send them back in good faith for an exchange. And the funky peach colored tone of the heeled sole that can be purchased as a replacement did not do anything for me. So I had a local cobbler shop remove the moto type sole and install a Vibram cleated sole. I've been happy with that.

The pictures are from over a year ago.

Boots --

Soles --
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #278
HighRiver
taking the checkered

Oddometer: 71
Just ordered a pair of Rain Disco's. I noticed the boot design hasn't changed in 6yrs Must be that good!
Anyways does anyone have any break in tips? I read in the Aerostich site they suggest soaking them over night in water, walk a few miles in them and then let them dry out and lube up.
Thoughts?
Motomarathon, CO. 2010 ASMA #309
IBA#34978~ SS1000~ 10.11.08
B2B Insanity~ BB1500~ 10.17.10
Alaska Blog-http://3umphak.wordpress.com/
HighRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #279
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Adventure vs Crossfire TA

I'm currently looking at getting into the dirt, probably first taking a Rawhyde course later this year.

Riding in regular street riding boots and hiking boots right now, but looking at upgrading them now.

Looking at the SIDI Adventure Gore-tex and the older version of the Crossfire TA.

I'll probably be more into the 90% onroad 10% offroad (maybe once or twice a year big trips, side excursions on the weekends). I heard a lot of good things about the Crossfire protection offroad.

Does the Crossfire TA lean more towards an offroad boot only, or do people use it for their daily commute too?

Is this one of the areas you need to invest on 2 different boots?

Riding a GS with Panniers.

Thanks/Alan
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #280
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsea View Post
I'm currently looking at getting into the dirt, probably first taking a Rawhyde course later this year.

Riding in regular street riding boots and hiking boots right now, but looking at upgrading them now.

Looking at the SIDI Adventure Gore-tex and the older version of the Crossfire TA.

I'll probably be more into the 90% onroad 10% offroad (maybe once or twice a year big trips, side excursions on the weekends). I heard a lot of good things about the Crossfire protection offroad.

Does the Crossfire TA lean more towards an offroad boot only, or do people use it for their daily commute too?

Is this one of the areas you need to invest on 2 different boots?

Riding a GS with Panniers.

Thanks/Alan

I have both boots, the adventure gortex are comfy and look like they would offer great protection, I remeber when I bought mine at the first real release, coming from a more street type boot, they seemed very stout, but in reality they allow too much movement to actually provide good protection when things go wrong. Anytime I hear someone say "these boots are great to walk in" I know they are far more likely to get foot injuries that those that say, "these are stiff to walk in", especially when your foot gets tangled up with your panniers. If you can take the tip of the toe of any boot and bend it back so it's 90 to the soul, that exactly what you foot can do too and all it takes to have you off your feet for months and in lots of pain.
The Crossfires are some of the most protective boots you can buy and have saved me countless times from injury.

I do still wear the adventures occasionally for short local rides, like going to grocery store, but usually wear the crossfires, even for just street rides after suffering from foot injuries with the adventures on from a simple very low speed fall they failed miserably to protect my foot. The CF's are comfy enough for me to wear all day, even for weeks on end while traveling and are far more comfortable to stand on the pegs for long periods of time, being much stiffer. I don't find them uncomfortable for the little bit of walking I do while on rides and they have been waterproof too.
I also have had to have the Adventures repaired a couple times with the leather stitching coming apart, so I also don't think they are good for the long haul.

The foot is very fragile and very exposed, foot injuries are easy to get anytime you ride a motorbike no matter where you ride, only you can to choose if walking comfort is more important than protection.
I choose protection from my painful experiences and the Adventures are proven to not offer enough for my needs.

Love my Crossfires.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 04:57 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #281
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #282
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,691
Jeez... I got some Adventure Rains on special last fall and have not had them on other than just running around the house a bit then back into the box. Size 44 and I think I need 43 but too late to return to RVz. I think I will try to get then to fit in the ankle area and give them a goo soon as the snow has melted down low. Ready to go.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #283
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
I've got a set of the Adventure GoreTex. They fit me very well, broke in pretty quickly and are comfy to walk around in. They do squeek a little, but I haven't tried the mink oil or other fixes that people here have talked about.

I mostly ride on the road with gentle off road stuff, ie, no single track. I'm happy with them so far, I'm sure the CrossFires give far more protection, but I'm not sure the kind of riding I do requires it...
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #284
ady-uk
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have Sidi Vertibra boots.

Bought them a few years ago when doing my test so can't remember the price. Not long had my first bike so started wearing them more often.

Main grips is the soles are very thin. I could do with some thicker soles to make up for lack of leg length.

Also they squeek wherever I walk. the plastic vertibra system at the back is what makes the squeeking noise with every ankle movement.

Can get uncomfortable if you have to do lots of walking.
ady-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #285
Bbasso OP
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,874
All these years have gone by and I still LOVE my Sidi boots!
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote