Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #571
Northern Rob
Con Brio!

Oddometer: 605
cheap heated vest switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP View Post
maybe...

Item "TCSW" here: http://gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.php and use 2 SAE-to-Gerbing convesions connections.
Yes, agreed those Gerbings controllers are good and recommended. If you're using SAE and on the cheap, you can try this as plan B... Go to a hardware store and buy a toggle on/off lamp switch - the kind that you wire into the lamp cord. Just wire it into your vest cord. It's super cheap. Mine lasted quite a few years before it gave up.

Northern Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #572
Northern Rob
Con Brio!

Oddometer: 605
non-electric hand warmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-gr View Post

Im gonna have to look into some heated gloves. Once it gets into the 20s my heated grips and Polar Hands (Hippo Hands) just dont do the trick. Fingertips get hurting cold. Im not really keen on electric gloves due to the wiring hassles. Im thinking about trying mittens or some other kind of three finger glove. Any suggestions?
If you don't like heated gloves, go to a sports store or hunting store and get those chemical disposable hand warmers. They last about 8 hours, they're cheap and work well for hands and feet. Also good for keeping your camera and batteries warm in your tank bag.

If that's not enough, then just tweak your existing gear: (heated grips, Hippo hands) with gerbing electric glove liners inside army surplus winter arctic mitts. That will let you ride in any temperature you'd ever think of wanting to do. Might need to duct tape the seam between the mitts and your jacket to avoid cold air leaks, but you'd be totally set for anything not completely insane.
Northern Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #573
chassmash
Banned

Oddometer: 353
I am about to go out in -10c .i just bought W&S heated gear- hopefully it will do the trick
chassmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #574
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassmash View Post
I am about to go out in -10c .i just bought W&S heated gear- hopefully it will do the trick
That is cold .
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #575
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Rob View Post
If you don't like heated gloves, go to a sports store or hunting store and get those chemical disposable hand warmers. They last about 8 hours, they're cheap and work well for hands and feet. Also good for keeping your camera and batteries warm in your tank bag.

l
biggest problem I've found with disposable warmers is bulk

with choppers mitts, they work great, no where to fit them in a pair of tight fitting gloves or boots

I keep a few on hand as an emergency measure if my heated gear should fail
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #576
luke-gr
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the replies

I wandered off after I didnt get a quick reply, sorry. :)

I made it throught the winter fine. Ive put just over 16K on my KLR over the past year. Studded tires were barely needed with this warm winter but Im sold on them. Awesome traction. I was concerned about traction on dry pavement but see it is no big issue (for me on my bike anyway). I have seperate rims and will swap them out next year as the knobbies with studs just dont last long.

Never did put a switch on my vest but did end up buying a cheap lamp type switch on Ebay. I rarely used the vest anyway and when I do, it's cold enough to leave it on. I bought a Firstgear Thermo suit which worked quite well for me. Ive certainly done my share of layering. I work on Grandfather Mountains part time as security and left one morning at 4.8F for the 25 mile trip home. Not too big of a deal except for my hands. Ouch!

My KLR has aluminum bars (installed by previous owner). I did wrap left bar with a couple wraps of duct tape before installing Kimpes heated stick-ons. Ive come to realize that aluminum is much more of heat sink than steel. Noticed Hot Grips site doesnt even recommend putting their products on aluminum bars. Wondering if it would be worthwhile to change out the bars back to a steel one? Any thoughts on that (Grasping at straws?)? Wondering if the Oxford grips would be better than what I have? Really dont want to throw money at this as I'd say that heated gloves or liners would solve the problem but really hate to deal with the wires every day as this is my daily driver. I was thinking about the Firstgear liners from my local dealer.

Here's to warmer weather.......
luke-gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #577
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,925
Bump for the warmest winter weather I've seen!
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #578
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Just ordered 200 4706 studs and a new set of Dunlop 606s...............bring on the crappy weather.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #579
kbennett2000
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Dysco - Apologies if you already covered this, but I've got a question for you. In your original post you said you preferred heavier dual sports to lighter ones for use in the snow. Since then it looks like you've also tried your hand with lighter, smaller displacement bikes too. Having tried both, what are your thoughts on heavy vs. light bikes in the winter?
kbennett2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #580
QuiCkSiLv3R
CUSTOM USER TIT-LE

Oddometer: 25
Mid december bump

going to use all my "mental energy" (as the orientals call it ki) to keep it from snowing.

It's going well in the northeast poconos here. I live in the mountains. No snow, although they are calling for a winter event this weekend.. I'm sure alot of you guys in different parts of the country will get alot.

bike has been down for a month, it shall be operational again tomorrow. Can't wait to ride.
QuiCkSiLv3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #581
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Racing to get some fresh rubber on the rear before the blizzard hits Thursday...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #582
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbennett2000 View Post
Dysco - Apologies if you already covered this, but I've got a question for you. In your original post you said you preferred heavier dual sports to lighter ones for use in the snow. Since then it looks like you've also tried your hand with lighter, smaller displacement bikes too. Having tried both, what are your thoughts on heavy vs. light bikes in the winter?

Lower would be better for the WR250R, but it's more fun to get squirrely with. I think a lot of it depends on the tire profile- some tires are pointy and sketchy, others are a little flatter and comfy. I did not love the Trakmasters I put on the WRr, but the two rear Trakmaster's worked fine on the F650gs. I'd be interested in trying it with a T43 on the WRr. That might be worth a try down the road.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #583
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
I'm a bit late, but have a new set of 606's in the mail, should be here on thursday. I'm just going to get a local shop to stud them for me, I figure on just getting normal automotive studs. 13mm seems to be what most here are using, I'll run to the shop on monday and see what they have.

I saw here somewhere that I should drill the length of the stud? Shouldn't I stop a bit short, maybe 1/8" or so, to leave some stick out?

Next is another oil question- What do you guys do for chain lube? They use salt here on the roads, I imagine the chain is going to need lubed daily. ATF? Used motor oil? I typically just use regular chain lube, but I can see that getting expensive quick.

Bike is a KLR650.

Thanks.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #584
Dysco OP
caddis muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'm a bit late, but have a new set of 606's in the mail, should be here on thursday. I'm just going to get a local shop to stud them for me, I figure on just getting normal automotive studs. 13mm seems to be what most here are using, I'll run to the shop on monday and see what they have.

I saw here somewhere that I should drill the length of the stud? Shouldn't I stop a bit short, maybe 1/8" or so, to leave some stick out?

Next is another oil question- What do you guys do for chain lube? They use salt here on the roads, I imagine the chain is going to need lubed daily. ATF? Used motor oil? I typically just use regular chain lube, but I can see that getting expensive quick.

Bike is a KLR650.

Thanks.
Exactly the length of the entire stud should give you the perfect seating depth.

Lube the chain frequently, then spray it off with warm water and re-lube when it's above freezing.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #585
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Pondering helmets again...

I did a couple 90 mile trips this week in the teens and 20s F. Electric boot insoles and electric grips with bar muffs kept me in a decent comfort zone, but the freezing airflow across my eyes seems like the most fatiguing element. I looked real hard at the Ski-Doo BV2S last year, but just can't afford $400 for a 3 month a year helmet. So i'm thinking about an electric face shields as it would only be $60 to add to the IS-Max I'm using.

Beyond keeping snow and fog off the shield (my pinlock/breathmask combo are doing fine at that), does a heated shield do much to keep the air around your face any warmer? I would assume so but since these helmets are designed to have slight airflow even with the vents closed i'm wondering if air circulates too quick for the heat from the shield to affect it...?