Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 316 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #26731
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Are you going to add an auxilary power source, to keep your Garmin going?

I'm starting to think your mental toughness, having a partner (to some extent), and 'bent all contribute to you being able turn such big miles on so few of training miles.

I was averaging ~200mi per week, with a best of just over 400mi. I know there's no way I could do what you do, without someone for moral support, on a diamond frame.

What you do/have done is truly an accomplishment.
I use a 4-battery aux pack with a plug that matches the Garmin. Works like a charm and it doesn't drive a reboot when you plug it in.

Pls allow me to disagree with you. I'll bet you that anyone....ANYONE... who can ride a century in 7 - 8 hours can ride any of the rides I did. It's all in having a bike that's comfortable, having a bit of nutrition, knowing how to pace and being mentally-prepared.

Someone actually asked for my advice today....and I posted some comments today here.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #26732
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,567
And by mental toughness, he means crazier than an outhouse rat. In a good way.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #26733
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
And by mental toughness, he means crazier than an outhouse rat. In a good way.
90% of any brevet is 50% mental.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #26734
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I still work. I think.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you didn't work, I was implying that you did.

I'm hoping for a move this year to Victoria (British Columbia) It's the epicentre of road cycling in Canada. Year round riding there and great roads. A lot of my training is in prep to keep even close to the lads down there.

In late summer I was there and did a 100 mile ride with the boys and got fully schooled. I didn't pull once, just hung on to the wheel of who ever was in the back and tried to keep up all day. It was humiliating to a degree, but over beers was given some props by other riders for even keeping up to those lads. Still I'd like to be able to hang with those boys and take my turn pulling. I have a lot of work to do.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #26735
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Sorry, I wasn't implying that you didn't work, I was implying that you did.

I'm hoping for a move this year to Victoria (British Columbia) It's the epicentre of road cycling in Canada. Year round riding there and great roads. A lot of my training is in prep to keep even close to the lads down there.

In late summer I was there and did a 100 mile ride with the boys and got fully schooled. I didn't pull once, just hung on to the wheel of who ever was in the back and tried to keep up all day. It was humiliating to a degree, but over beers was given some props by other riders for even keeping up to those lads. Still I'd like to be able to hang with those boys and take my turn pulling. I have a lot of work to do.
Hanging on is always the first step. Once you know you can hang on, the rest is just details.

M
...I've been dropped more times than I can count
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #26736
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Hanging on is always the first step. Once you know you can hang on, the rest is just details.

M
...I've been dropped more times than I can count
Me too. A great way to increase your speed is to ride with faster riders. It's the same with any sport....seek out better players and try to hang.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #26737
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Me too. A great way to increase your speed is to ride with faster riders. It's the same with any sport....seek out better players and try to hang.

So True. Unfortunately I did 5500 km this year, my friend, Dan, in Vic did over 10 K and the his brother in law Tom did about 20 K and they're both younger than me (I'm 44). Realistically I just want to keep up to those dudes. With a full time job 7500 km is a lofty goal for me, but reachable.

Part of my plan is to shed some pounds ( or KGs ) to try to make my power to weight go in the right direction. I used to be in the 195 range with a lot of time spent at the gym. These days I'm in the 183 range and would like to get down to 175 for the spring.

Right now I'm riding by myself, in the dark, in the rain and snow. It really sucks some days, but others it's still fantastic.

Strange days indeed
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #26738
k7
Ancien cyclist

You're going in the right direction. It all boils down mostly to watts/kg and aerodynamics. Good luck to you!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #26739
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
You're going in the right direction. It all boils down mostly to watts/kg and aerodynamics. Good luck to you!
Thanks dude, I'll let you know how it goes.

Actually, have you ever heard of Strava? It's a website where you can follow other people's cycling.........

Ah I almost got it out without cracking up.....Fack I'm funny.

oooooo, nothing to see here...on your way.

pui
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #26740
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
I use a 4-battery aux pack with a plug that matches the Garmin. Works like a charm and it doesn't drive a reboot when you plug it in.
Have a link? Or, is it like a lighting battery pack?

I was kind of drooling over this, if I ever went to a dynamo hub.

Quote:
Pls allow me to disagree with you. I'll bet you that anyone....ANYONE... who can ride a century in 7 - 8 hours can ride any of the rides I did. It's all in having a bike that's comfortable, having a bit of nutrition, knowing how to pace and being mentally-prepared.
I have the pace and nutrition worked out. I gotta' get to this place, and ride a USS, as they have a few I'm intersested in. And, I don't need much more reason to go to that area.

Quote:
Someone actually asked for my advice today....and I posted some comments today here.
I'll get to reading.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #26741
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:

Actually, have you ever heard of Strava? It's a website where you can follow other people's cycling.........

Ah I almost got it out without cracking up.....Fack I'm funny.

oooooo, nothing to see here...on your way.

pui
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #26742
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
thanks dude, i'll let you know how it goes.

Actually, have you ever heard of strava? It's a website where you can brag about how big your dick is........

ah i almost got it out without cracking up.....fack i'm funny.

Oooooo, nothing to see here...on your way.

pui
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #26743
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:

pui
I was scrolling while reading this....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #26744
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,120
Finally

Back on my bike after a very long time. I think the last time I rode was in July.
I only managed an hour and it wasn't pretty, but I never had to stop and puke and I caught the old woman walking up the little hill! Take that Strava!

In her defense I think her little dog and the shopping cart were holding her back.
I did get to ride in what is cold for me. My feet were cold for about half my shower after. But, that felt great! I really like that Roubaix. After five months of not riding the first pedal stroke felt entirely natural.

I'll be running in Phoenix as getting the bike there is a pain right now. And work looks to again be heated up to full boil. Weekend overtime.
Felt a like a good way to close out the year. Tomorrow I'll spend the day driving.

Happy New Year everyone.Here's to a new year and hopefully a shrinking me.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #26745
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Got out for 9.8 miles of single track with the fast boys today. They disappeared. It was 37F and breezy. But something was amiss you see, because for the first time they were behind me instead of leading off the front. The look on their faces at the intersections was priceless. It feels good to be the one who has to wait. The one who is ready for more when they have their tongues dragging the ground after 9+ miles. I have not ridden with these guys in a while and man did it feel good to drop them like a bad habit. The goal was to get down to 205lbs from 218lbs by year's end. Two weeks ago the scale said 201lbs. Mission accomplished. Ready for more.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: