Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #72316
ndthl
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJens View Post
After a major brakedown on my DR650SE -01 (Gearbox exploding...) I have been looking for a replacement engine wich was really difficult. But have now found a XF 650 Freewind engine -99 and I hope this will fit on my bike. Understand that only the cylinder head with larger valves and the two carburator differ from a DR650SE engine, torquelimiter is also different but this must be possibel to swap from the old engine. Is this correct?
Has DRJens or anyone swapped a xf650 engine into a dr650?

I need to fix the gearbox and engine on my dr and found a xf engine, both are same model year (1997). Has anyone made this swap before?

I am in Queensland, Australia.

What would I have to modify on the engine to make it fit? Other posters here have said that I might have to swap the head as the xf has 2 carbies. Would I just be able to swap the head from my DR onto it? I am not a mechanic, pardon my n008 questions.

Wil
ndthl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #72317
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndthl View Post
Has DRJens or anyone swapped a xf650 engine into a dr650?

I need to fix the gearbox and engine on my dr and found a xf engine, both are same model year (1997). Has anyone made this swap before?

I am in Queensland, Australia.

What would I have to modify on the engine to make it fit? Other posters here have said that I might have to swap the head as the xf has 2 carbies. Would I just be able to swap the head from my DR onto it? I am not a mechanic, pardon my n008 questions.

Wil
Should be just the head to swap.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #72318
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
A bit harsh I'd say.
There are plenty of good reasons to buy new. Sure, there are good deals around on used DR's if you're patient ... and lucky. They are reliable bikes for the most part ... but they do have one or two SHOW STOPPER issues.

Main advantage of buying NEW is the warranty ... and the ability to buy an Extended Warranty up to 5 years. This covers things like 3rd gear failures.
Rare as they are ... if it happens in 5 years ... you get a NEW motor.
That's a lot of riding.

Next is a zero interest loan with a LOW monthly payment. This just works for some folks.

But for the OP, "New" may not be his best choice. Impossible to know if he'll even like the DR650. If you buy NEW, add a warranty, add $1000 in extras, then decide you don't like the bike ... well when you go to sell it off you'll take a major hit.

What the OP needs to know is that a showroom stock DR650 is no where near what a modified DR650 can be. So whatever DR you get ... to get the best out of it plan to do some modifications and adding some extras. There are THOUSANDS of posts here detailing what those extras are ... and what they do for you. Good luck! My Advice: TEST RIDE TEST RIDE
TEST RIDE!!!
Hello,

Something to think about. When buying new with extended warranty it does only cover up to value of bike which
someone mentioned but if you do blow that 3rd gear (not for years), or any other major problem, you had better have not done any mods. That means anything, taking brass plug out of carb, different jets, different bowl screws, ANYTHING!!
Any mod at all will VOID any warranty if they want to void it and they will. Get a clean used one and buy lots of goodies
or buy new and not worry. You can buy new and mod it up, sell it a year or two later and still not lose as much money as a full set of bags for a GSA.

Happy New Year

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #72319
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Something to think about. When buying new with extended warranty it does only cover up to value of bike which
someone mentioned but if you do blow that 3rd gear (not for years), or any other major problem, you had better have not done any mods. That means anything, taking brass plug out of carb, different jets, different bowl screws, ANYTHING!!
Any mod at all will VOID any warranty if they want to void it and they will. Get a clean used one and buy lots of goodies
or buy new and not worry. You can buy new and mod it up, sell it a year or two later and still not lose as much money as a full set of bags for a GSA.

Happy New Year

Heirhead
You CAN buy extended warranties on used bikes and on my first used bike (XT225) I was really glad I did as the engine grenaded itself. After some talk and negotiation I was given full replacement value of the bike. I did however have to wait a few weeks while a factory rep went over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure that EVERYTHING was stock. Something else to think about, if you take the bike out of the country, you might not be able to use an extended warranty as the company offering coverage will not be able to verify the condition of the bike should you make a claim.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #72320
ndthl
n00b

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Should be just the head to swap.
Have you done it or know anyone that has?

I just don't have any mechanical knowledge.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #72321
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
it's a Rossi .22 takedown carbine that shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. It fits easily into a standard paintball gun case as you see in the pic. Also easily fits incognito into a standard duffel, knapsack etc. One of my favorite rifles to shoot besides its extreme portability.

They make a ruger 10/22 takedown too. It even comes with its own backpack.

Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #72322
ndthl
n00b

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
They make a ruger 10/22 takedown too. It even comes with its own backpack.

Oh so we're sharing cool gun photos now are we? You guys must be Murcans.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #72323
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Hello,

Happy New Year

Heirhead
actually i've heard that suzuki is pretty good with mods and warranties in that if you mod something and something breaks which has nothing to do with what you modded then you're most likely covered
like if you take the airbox snorkle out and rejet the carb and get a crack in your front wheel your good
but if you install a big valve kit and your head gets warped you're on your own
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #72324
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 345
Home Made Fork Tool

Some time back on this site I had read a post on how to make a damper rod tube tool for my DR out off all thread and several nuts. I made one to use to convert my forks back to the taller height and later on scavenged the pieces for another project........shouldn't have done that because now I need it again and can't remember the sizes on the all thread and nuts.

Can someone help me out with this?
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #72325
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndthl View Post
Oh so we're sharing cool gun photos now are we? You guys must be Murcans.
Oh look, 8 posts. You must be a n00b.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #72326
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Any mod at all will VOID any warranty
This is not true. There is no such thing as 'voiding' a warranty. That's just an old wives tale and should not be repeated.

Now, if you did something to the bike that caused something to fail you will likely have trouble getting a warranty repair on that failure. That will depend on the judgement call of the shop doing authorized warranty work and possibly the factory service representative.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #72327
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
Some time back on this site I had read a post on how to make a damper rod tube tool for my DR out off all thread and several nuts. I made one to use to convert my forks back to the taller height and later on scavenged the pieces for another project........shouldn't have done that because now I need it again and can't remember the sizes on the all thread and nuts.

Can someone help me out with this?
Damper Rod tool
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #72328
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
what bar do you have. I did an twin wall bar upgrade . Didn't have the problems you described.
My twin wall has checkers on the left too.
They are Fly Aero tapered bars, and the left is certainly larger than the right, mayb 1000s of an inch but what slides over the right side does not slide over the left side. I can't be the only one using these bars with this issue, right? How'd you all get the choke lever on the bars?

ETA: I got it on. I had to use a hammer and used a 15/16 socket over the bar end. It shaved the inside of the choke lever as I (gently) pounded on the socket, sliding the choke lever on. I'm surprised the bars are slightly different diameters from the left and right, oh well.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.

acesandeights screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 11:37 AM
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #72329
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
This is not true. There is no such thing as 'voiding' a warranty. That's just an old wives tale and should not be repeated.
PS is absolutely correct. There is the possibility a warranty would not be honored if it were conclusive that a modification was in some way a causal factor in the failure leading to the warranty claim.

Examples: (1) I install an IMS gas tank on my DR, and the "infamous" third gear blow-up thingy happens to my bike; how did the change of gas tank cause the third gear failure? It simply doesn't. (2) I put a set of Pro-Taper bars on my DR, and a short time later the engine chews up a camshaft that wasn't getting proper oil flow to the cylinder head? Again, one has nothing to do with the other.

I dealt with this over the past summer, only with my wife's car. Going down the interstate at a steady 75mph, the engine decides to allow one of the connecting rods some R&R, thus punching a fist-sized hole in the bottom of the crankcase at less than 41,000 miles. Car gets towed to the dealership; service manager says that in order to warranty the engine replacement, he'll have to see all the receipts from the oil/filter changes I have done. "NO PROBLEM" I tell him. Then I tell him, he can certainly see them just as soon as he can show in some reasonable way that the catastrophic failure of the engine was an "oil' related problem.

To make a long story short, he couldn't. There was no sludge in the engine, so scoring or measurable wear on any engine parts such as cams, followers, pistons, rings, main or rod bearings, etcetera.

The warranty was honored and the engine replaced and no one ever again asked to see my receipts for oil changes, simply because one had nothing to do with the other! When I went to pick up the car after the engine was replaced and I asked the service manager what the cause of the rod failure, his simple answer/guess was improper connecting rod bolt torque?
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #72330
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Oh look, 8 posts. You must be a n00b.
This type of response has always humored me, Just because someone is new to a site doesn't mean they're new to life, without knowledge and an opinion. Online "status" in a "community" is a strange phenomenon.

Yup...occasionally a side subject pops in for a few pages and then this thread is back to DR's. No harm done. Plus, it was in reply to solving a DR riders need.

Murcans? Really? Settle in, ndthl, it gets bumpier than this around here. Lots to learn, unless you've made your mind up already (random & loose Murcan refererence).

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote