Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Skizzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
I have the same stove, bought from dealextreme.com.
It works great

I have also a Coleman 442, very robust and efficient.
(Yes, i like to cook when camping)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,388
Hi Guys! We have a Dragonfly. Works good, would have cooked a few hundred meals on it by now & I've only stripped & cleaned it once. Runs well on straight petrol. turns down nicely for the gourmet camp cooking which my old Coleman 442 didn't do so well. Also much easier to empty of gas for air travel. Way gruntier than any alcohol or canister stove. The 442 probably had an edge in outright power though.

It is really damn loud though & if buying again I would want to have a play with a Primus Omnifuel first to compare as they look pretty good on paper & are apparently not so rowdy.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
++ on the whisperlites, I have had three MSR stove over the last 35 years. The 1st was stolen so I got one of the early Whiperlites still have and use it, also have a new International and it is just as good as the others. I camp with folks who are on their 3rd or 4th other stove. Just my $.02
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
ttquattro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Soto Muka

Check out the Soto Muka. I've only used petrol with it and it's the cleanest burning unleaded fuel stove I've used. It puts out some serious heat and simmering is a bit of a pain, i.e. have to release some of the pressure to make it simmer. Otherwise, it uses the same fuel as the bike and I like to think it's carry reserve fuel for the bike as a just in case.
ttquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,952
I've used my X-GK for many years and it works great. OK, not much for simmering so I won't be making any balsamic reductions on the road, but....

I use a Jetboil to make coffee, or anytime I just need to heat water; that's most of the time really. Got the French Press kit and truthfully, I seem to use it more than anything, because it's quick and easy.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,028
I run an Optimus Multi Fuel... This stove heats up real well, will run on most liquid fuels and most importantly folds down into a compact package... I made a sleeve out of pvc that hangs off the back of the pannier which accommodates the stoves fuel canister/pump assembly... Carrying the stove fuel outside minimizes the chance of fuel spills on inside the pannier items and the creation of a gas fume bomb in airtight boxes... When I gas the motorcycle up I also make sure the fuel canister is full and this gives me an extra liter of reserve fuel for the bike in the event that the next gas station is farther away than expected...

The first few times you light it, watch you don't singe the eyebrows, after that you learn how to prime and preheat without the flaming tornado... One thing I have found is most high BTU output stoves don't simmer so well compared to some of the older more low tech versions from the past...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #22
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Can't comment on other options but I've used a Dragonfly with gasoline for moto and backcountry camping for 13 years or so and have no complaints.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I have the Coleman 442 and it really does the job for me, lots of BTU's so coffee is quick in the morning and mine adjusts down really low for bacon, eggs, and other meals plus fuel is readily available. I also have the Optimus 8R which I have had since 1974. I carry it in the helicopter when out in the boondocks when surveying with customers. It does a good job even when temps are down in the teens. I still prefer the Coleman along with the Campmor folding grill (Walmart) for motorcycle camping.

Good luck in your search and final decision.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #24
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 762
got one of these for Christmas... jury's still out as its probably not that useful in Europe as wood is scarce cause they don't know what camping is... for the rest of the world, we will see.

http://biolitestove.com/campstove/ca...view/features/

Tested it in the back yard, works well, makes coffee quick, but you do have to constantly add wood... so there is that.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #25
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,130
+ a billion

Coleman and MSR make nice stoves I've owned both of them, but the stever stove is my favorite ever. Nothing to break, nothing to fail, no special fuel EVER. Heet works best and in the USA it is in every gas station.

Best bang for the buck at $9. The best doesn't have to cost more.

BH
Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
So many nice stoves on the market today. I have a few but my favorite is an old coleman feather 442, runs on the bike's fuel, quickest roadside coffee available out of town.