Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
I know there are some who push "you have to have these grips" and such. B.S. The only thing you need Oxford wise is a pair of shoes to get laughed at when you wear them on your bike.

Don't overthink it. $30 bucks, maybe less, maybe more. Go to ebay motors and look for a grip kit that uses the elements under your existing grips....if you can get them off without cutting. Install the sticky back heaters, put grips back on. Pretty simple. Left will be a bit cooler than the right due to no plastic twist grip insulating the heater but, TADT (they all do that). To not have the left side cooler, you change the left bar by gluing a twist grip onto the bar, grip heater on the plastic, and then putting on two right side grips for each side. Gets a bit more expensive that way.

For 10 to 15 minute duration commute, most people will find that you're good with just grip heaters unless it is just too cold for them....everyone is different though. Longer durations bring in other factors that are more individual and bike/environment dependent. As the last guy said, you can always double dip and add warmer gloves to make it easier to take a leak when you get to work.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Symtec heated grips (the motorcycle version of them) have different heating elements for the throttle and clutch sides to accommodate the difference between the plastic throttle tube on the right and a metal handlebar on the left. To lessen the heat sink effect on the left you can wrap the handlebar with a layer or two of electrical tape before installing the heated grip element.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
I wouldn't want to own a bike without heated grips
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Heated grips are awesome. I love mine. Really takes the edge off the cold.

My second favorite solution to the cold is glove liners.

Also handle bar guards if you dont have them.

I've found that a lot of gloves use the same insulation, and it doesn't really help me much, probably due to bad circulation.

I've yet to try heated gloves though.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #20
lightfox OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
Silk Liners, simply amazing under whatever glove you are now wearing. Get the pure silk ones though, not the wool combo things.

http://wintersilks.blair.com/thumbna.../c/229/233.uts

While you are at it pick up the silk balaclava.

http://wintersilks.blair.com/catalog...word=balaclava

Terry
Cool, I'll look into it. How big of a difference does it make? I.e. 45 F without glove liner feels like 40 F with a liner, or is it less of a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
This is an easy question. Heated Grips are the best choice and offer far more versatility. They are relatively cheap, easy to install, and offer adjustment to changing conditions with the flick of a switch.

Even though heated grips should come first, a good assortment of different gloves has its advantages. Gloves that have some insulation on the top side of the hand can dramatically help with comfort.

Heated grips and an extra pair of gloves will still be cheaper than buying heated gloves.
I am leaning towards the winter gloves now because of issue of warming the top of your hand. My bike doesn't block any wind to the handlebars. I saw one suggestion for more affordable gloves. Are there any other good deals?

duck posted these cortech gloves which look 95% the same as these bilt gloves that I tried on in a store and hated how stiff they felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
I know there are some who push "you have to have these grips" and such. B.S. The only thing you need Oxford wise is a pair of shoes to get laughed at when you wear them on your bike.

Don't overthink it. $30 bucks, maybe less, maybe more. Go to ebay motors and look for a grip kit that uses the elements under your existing grips....if you can get them off without cutting. Install the sticky back heaters, put grips back on. Pretty simple. Left will be a bit cooler than the right due to no plastic twist grip insulating the heater but, TADT (they all do that). To not have the left side cooler, you change the left bar by gluing a twist grip onto the bar, grip heater on the plastic, and then putting on two right side grips for each side. Gets a bit more expensive that way.

For 10 to 15 minute duration commute, most people will find that you're good with just grip heaters unless it is just too cold for them....everyone is different though. Longer durations bring in other factors that are more individual and bike/environment dependent. As the last guy said, you can always double dip and add warmer gloves to make it easier to take a leak when you get to work.
I'm not sure what you suggest I should look for on ebay motors, but yes I do see the heaters that have just a thin heating element. They seem to just come with an on/off switch. I think it would be a lot better to have a few levels of heat to choose from. Can I add a controller to these? Also, how difficult is the installation from start to finish? I've never worked on a bike before.
lightfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Grips and gloves

After riding a buddies bike with the Heated Grips and Lee Parks PCI gloves, I made them a top of my list for Christmas. Can't wait. The gloves have a conductive liner in them to help distribute the heat from the grip throughout your hand. My wonderful wife got me the HotGrips heated grips and I will be installing them using a Heat troller from Warm and Safe to control them. Should be really comfy.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #22
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I have Symtec heaters on my VFR and KLR. They are inexpensive and easy to install under just about any standard grip. I have factory blasters on my Wing.

My Order of Preference for heat is:

1. Warmer gloves for short trips. I also use them with grip heaters.
2. Grip Heaters
3. Grip Heaters and Electric liners for frigid conditions

I also keep wool liners in reserve.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
For a short commute of 10-12 minutes it is probably not worth installing HGs. Here's some winter gloves with good reviews for $86:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfox View Post
duck posted these cortech gloves which look 95% the same as these bilt gloves that I tried on in a store and hated how stiff they felt.
Those Cortech Scarab gloves are terrible. I have a pair, and they were probably the worst purchase I've made in motorcycle gear to date. They are barely warmer than my summer gloves, but way bulkier. I would only wear those down into the 50s or so... But at that point I'd rather just wear my way less bulky summer gloves. I was so extremely disappointed with the Scarab gloves that I gave them away to a friend who didn't have any other gloves... But only with the warning that I can't be held responsible for his severe disappointment in them.

I ended up buying Gerbings T5 heated gloves and LOVE them! They're warmer than the Scarabs without them even plugged in, way less bulky, and they keep my hands warm no matter the temperature. With you living in Phoenix, these would probably be overkill for you if you don't travel farther north often. If you only stay around your area and only need them for your short commutes, my vote would be heated grips.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Steveize
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Hand Guards are great...

block the wind and rain.. it rains when cold sometimes right? Heated grips, there are many tutorials and maybe someone here would help you locally.. I have lee parks gloves with outlast, and man they are warm and do seem to pull the heat from the grips and distribute the heat.. will be out on the Husky Demo with no heated grips or handguards, acid test of the Lee Parks, high of 45, rolling out in 29 degree.. stay tuned..
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #25
JadeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Here is another reason for HGs. When it rains your hands can get wet with regular gloves that would normally be OK. The heated grips will help warm up the hands and dry the gloves, making evaporative cooling less of an issue.

-- John 1:4-5 | Luke 17:24
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
I used to have Gerbings gloves. For such a short commute, you would spend too much time just hooking up the damn gloves (at least in my experience), so I would be another vote for heated grips.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I use both and like it has been said, short trips above freezing grips are fine. Long rides beelow freezing definatly heated gloves or even both as the best gloves dont have heat on the palms.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
as mentioned, gloves are too much trouble for a 15 min ride. you have a jacket with wiring inplace?

get some goretex gloves for <$100.

grips are nice if you ride through a big drop in temps. for instance it is 60F here but ride up the mountains and it drops 20 deg. I see them as a good way to keep from freezing on short stints
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #29
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,790
I've had both.

Heated grips rock! Sometimes just enough to take the chill away (not just your hands) when you duck into the shadows or hit a stretch at higher altitude.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #30
Steveize
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Lee Parks with Outlast and no handguards or heated grips

started out at 28 degrees.. Lee Parks with Outlast, naked Husky terra 650.. no heated grips, no handguards.. seriously missed my heated grips and handguards.. gloves were not cutting it at 70 mph.. stopped and put in my metallic liners from REI much better...

Coming home in a balmy 46, gloves were fine. I have had them on my heated gripped hand guards bike , actually warm at 28 degrees ... so... Lee said these were good to about 40 and he is correct.. HTH