Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Hi_Fi_Guy OP
Teutonic Terror

Oddometer: 650
Suggestions for self-defense & survivial training?

Will be traveling in the Middle East for 60+ days in 2013. Any suggestions for survival training and self defense from those who have attended classes and training? Looking to travel smart and not be naive but at the same time enjoy the culture and landscapes I will be traveling through.

I have 4 months to prepare and am absolutely willing to put in the time learning as much as I can about the language and culture beforehand. I consider myself to be situationally aware when traveling and would like to also learn how to handle myself smartly if any dangerous or threatening situation should present itself.

ADV relay rider: Arizona, California, Nevada
Hi_Fi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
From your post, it looks like you are already aware and have good judgement.
If you really, really wanted to brush up on some personal defense, maybe a short, quick krav maga course would be good.
Situational awareness is always the key.
Best to you...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Try not to look like a good target. (whatever good means in that area: American, rich, weak-looking, etc)

When you make stops, make sure you are ready to ride away quickly. (don't have to backup the bike, put on tons of gear, etc.)

Forget about "self-defense". That's a waste of time unless you're willing to put in a few years in the gym, sparring under realistic conditions, etc. And even then, there is no "self-defense" against a gun or multiple people.

I think pepper spray may be the only thing worthwhile... maybe...
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
still southern
Iron Horse Nomad

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
From your post, it looks like you are already aware and have good judgement.
If you really, really wanted to brush up on some personal defense, maybe a short, quick krav maga course would be good.
Situational awareness is always the key.
Best to you...
+1 on the Krav Maga...I've taken a few classes and they are really useful, even if you can only take a few of them. They teach situational awareness and using your natural fight/flight instinct as part of your response.

The only other recommendation would be to make sure you learn at least the Arabic alphabet and a few greetings phrases. I moved to a Russian speaking area with only a rudimentary knowledge of Cyrillic (admittedly a much easier alphabet than Arabic) and I found that I couldn't read it fast enough to actually help with anything. So learn the alphabet and practice it enough to read quickly and under pressure.

Now riding Central Asia on a black 1994 Dominator.
still southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 277
Krav is good stuff - you can achieve proficiency in a comparatively short time. But, don't wander around the middle east in a Krav Maga t-shirt! A Rosetta Stone Arabic course might be a good investment, you don't have to be fluent but some phrases certainly help.

IMHO, the best overall training in protecting yourself would be a good Executive Protection school. I went to ESI ( http://esi-lifeforce.com/ ) but EPI ( http://www.personalprotection.com/ ) is excellent as well, and is a shorter course.

The difference between a "self defense" course and an Executive Protection course is that EP trains you to avoid trouble in the first place via planning and removing/reducing the bad guy's opportunity to hurt you. A self defense course will give you confidence, but a good EP course will completely and permanently change the way you think.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Just don't ask for help if you get picked up by hostiles. Take those bozo hikers for example. Tempt fate, deal with it yourself.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Curious....

IN
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 650
Having travelled to many parts of the world including some considered dangerous, usually by people who have never been there, I would say the two most important things you can take for your own protection are a confident handshake and a winning smile. The other advice that has been given here about not looking conspicuously well off and being aware of your surroundings are also good advice but self defence and survival training are possibly a little over the top.

Incidently a friend of mine who has probably travelled to more countries than any other solo female motorcycle traveller has only been mugged once, outside her own front door at home.

The greatest risk you will face in the Middle East is caffine poisoning from all of that Islamic hospitality.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth

Mark Manley screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 07:29 AM Reason: spelling correction
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
still southern
Iron Horse Nomad

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
The greatest risk you will face in the Middle East is caffine poisoning from all of that Islamic hospitality.
AWESOME and TRUE!

Good advice...those of us "westerners" really need to learn about their hospitality. There is a strict code of honor regarding guests rarely seen in the west. One can get in trouble quickly through ignorance, but being willing to laugh at yourself and trying to adapt where you can is the best. Even knowing a few basic phrases goes a long way with hospitality. The other day I had a 5 minute conversation with a guy who was looking at my motorcycle (with his wife in the background laughing at him talking to me about the bike). It used all the Russian I knew, but when he realized I'm an American who's trying to learn his language and plans to stay you would have thought I was his best friend. Approach people as if they are friendly and they will probably stay that way. Act scared, suspicious, or hostile and you'll usually find that that's how people treat you.

Now riding Central Asia on a black 1994 Dominator.
still southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
+ 1 on that still southern. Many societies still consider respect important as well.
Disrespect no one.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
Having travelled to many parts of the world including some considered dangerous, usually by people who have never been there, I would say the two most important things you can take for your own protection are a confident handshake and a winning smile. The other advice that has been given here about not looking conspicuously well off and being aware of your surroundings are also good advice but self defence and survival training are possibly a little over the top.

Incidently a friend of mine who has probably travelled to more countries than any other solo female motorcycle traveller has only been mugged once, outside her own front door at home.

Spot on.

I doubt that I thought this up all by myself, but I quote it often. 'If you look like a victim, chances are you'll become one.' Man is by nature a predator so he'll go for the easy ones that look weak and confused.

SO and I were in East Jerusalem, more specifically in the Arab quarter, and we were having a bit of a tiff. Three or four Arab guys approached and one of them asked in an aggressive manner if there was a 'problem', that was to say, 'Can I help you with your male friend?' Such a chivalrous prick. I looked him in the eye and smiled, then told him to mind his own fucking business while still staring at him. End of story.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Spend 4 months learning the culture and spending time treating EVERYONE with respect, from the beggar to the business executive.

From someone who knows, it will be time much more well spent than a few weeks of martial arts training.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Four rules I use. 35 plus countries.

1. Be polite. It means more in other countries than ours.

2. Be respectful. Your on your way if your are studying their culture/customs.

3. Trust no one. No one!

4. If you need information search out a teenager. They know where everything is at and know everyone, yet they have not aquired the subtle skills of trying to take advantage of you.

All the training you can get will not help because if your being set up, I can F%@#*ing guarantee you, it will not be from one person it will be from mutiple persons

www.atasecuretravel.com
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Alphamale11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
+1 on Krav Maga. I've been training for 3 years with an Israeli instructor. It is.brutal, efficient and quick.
The best lessons I've ever learned from it have nothing to.do with actual fighting though.
Be aware of your surroundings. And have a plan of action if you see or notice something threatening or suspicious.
Alphamale11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale11 View Post
Be aware of your surroundings. And have a plan of action if you see or notice something threatening or suspicious.
Absolutely. Knowing how to defend yourself may be good, if you're unable to escape. And the attacker doesn't have a gun.. or there's no gun, but there's four attackers. That's already many if's.

Your chances to ever get in trouble will be MUCH smaller everywhere, when you just learn to keep aware of your surroundings. And there's no room to be naive, but the world really isn't as scary a place, as the news might have you believe.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote